The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 snake acting strange

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MissRobinson Posted - 10/06/2011 : 17:34:42
hi I would really be grateful if anyone could give some advice. My female adult corn snake abi has not been eating at all. It has been a bit more than a month now, i offer her a medium mouse every week and every week she ignores it, she went into shed about a week ago. since she's shed she has not stopped moving. Constantly trying to get out of tank and moving around inside, i assumed she was hungry tried her again (twice) and she's just not interesting. May be me being paranoid but she does seem to have lost some weight but I can't be sure because I have never weighed her. Does any one know what might be wrong. She usually spend most of her time hidden but since her shed she is never hidden always moving around.

many thanks in advance
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mort13 Posted - 26/07/2011 : 17:12:21
Glad she passed the eggs ok. I have a ****atiel that lays a clutch of eggs every now and again. She's never mated but she does like to *play* with her perch!!
MissRobinson Posted - 26/07/2011 : 17:02:12
It doesn't always happen but I hear its quite common. Mine did it in June, which I'm assuming is around their mating period. So I'm guessing it could happen each year. I just chucked mine away because I was sure they were infertile eggs, but you can tell by the look of them anyway.
Simmy_82 Posted - 26/07/2011 : 16:18:34
This is good to know. I didnt realise females could lay infertile eggs. How often do they do this? and what would you do with the eggs??
MissRobinson Posted - 26/07/2011 : 16:07:53
Yes she laid about a dozen eggs. She is doing fine now, fit and healthy. Thank you all for all the advice.
gingerpony Posted - 22/07/2011 : 14:31:34
quote:
Originally posted by HERICUS

this my sounds abit bizarre but snakes can lay eggs without coming into contact with a male!?!?!?

REALLY?!?!?!?!?

lay eggs - yes
lay fertile eggs - no
scottishbluebird Posted - 22/07/2011 : 13:51:13
must have been a real shock, hope she passes them all ok
HERICUS Posted - 22/07/2011 : 13:01:52
this my sounds abit bizarre but snakes can lay eggs without coming into contact with a male!?!?!?

REALLY?!?!?!?!?
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 22/07/2011 : 11:00:12
yes good luck!!
Mort13 Posted - 13/06/2011 : 17:16:01
Oh,I bet that was a bit of a shock! Hope she delivers the rest ok.
kdlang Posted - 13/06/2011 : 09:31:18
Hope she passes the rest ok for you. Good luck and keep us posted
MissRobinson Posted - 13/06/2011 : 02:47:33
OK thanks will do that now
Kehhlyr Posted - 13/06/2011 : 01:45:35
Yup, a nest is still important, as far as she is concerned she's laying eggs.
Make up a small box with some damp moss or substrate in it, and put it in the warm end and hopefully she will drop the rest in there.
MissRobinson Posted - 13/06/2011 : 01:18:52
No me neither, bit of a shock really, but at least I know why she's hasn't been eating and been so active. She hasn't mated so I know their infertile. She has only laid one so I'm assuming there are more to come. Is a nest important if you know the eggs are infertile? She still seems to be searching for a nest
Spreebok Posted - 13/06/2011 : 01:05:43
Phantom Pregnancy? You mean she laid a bunch of infertile eggs or slugs, I dunno what to call them, I'm not a bredder hehe :P
MissRobinson Posted - 12/06/2011 : 23:59:07
OMG!!! My lil madame just had a phantom pregnancy...That should explain her behaviour... I'm so proud and relieved :D
Has anyone got any advice on how I should deal with this...are certain thing I should do ?

THanks
gingerpony Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:36:41
if it's been over a month since she fed then yes, that's a bit odd.......what are your temps like in the enclosure?
MissRobinson Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:34:00
she has defecated three times in the last week too which I find a little strange
MissRobinson Posted - 10/06/2011 : 20:47:50
Yep I'm sure she's a she, she is about 3years old now, I have had some problems in the past but that was when I first got her about 6months ago, which I'm assuming was due to stress of moving her from one house to the other. cage is big enough and I use a heat mat on one side. nice big water bowl. I defrost the (medium) mouse in hot water for about 30mins-1hr. I have tried dangling it and also leaving it in there for around 30mins and she just ignores it. She does usually like strike it though. I have always fed her in her cage. I did try once to use a different container but still no luck.

Just thought it was strange for her to be moving around so much when normally she tends to stay hidden. she is always pressing her nose up against the glass and try to open the sliding glass doors.

thanks
gingerpony Posted - 10/06/2011 : 19:07:40
how long have you had her?
was she previously a good feeder?
is she definitely a she?
what's your set-up like?
what are your temps like?
how is the heatsource controlled?
how are you defrosting the mouse?
how are you heating the mouse?
how and where are you offering her the food?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000