The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Blindness

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 08/06/2011 : 11:54:09
John, as some of you will know, was very slow to start feeding and when I bought him he was the size of hatchling despite being 5 months old. I am begining to wonder if he may be blind. When I put his fuzzy in with him he approaches it and literally bumps into in with his nose. This makes him jump back, he will do several times. When he jumps back if I move the fuzzy just a couple of centermeters away he keeps poking the kitchen towel where the fuzzy was previously laying. Also I have noticed that when I get him out takes little interest in his surroundings. I have even moved my hand towards his head quickly backwards and forwards straight in front of him and from the side, he doesn't even flinch, there is no response what so ever. ( I did this purely to see if there was any response I would NOT normally do this) I would have expected him to draw back or even strike. Is this normal? None of my others act like this.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 08/06/2011 : 22:11:36
I have to agree with what bob says, if there is no reasction then being blind is very likely.

Though to be hontest, what you describe is what one of my babies and an adult do and they are not blind. They check the area the food was at because the smel is there and maybe some warmth... my king specially and my adult corn do this all the time and will stay cicrling the spots the mouse or previous eaten mouse has been before they then realise their actual food is somewhere completly different. I can also move my hands in such a way yo describe, sometimes with a head turn and a tongue flicker, sometimes with no response. Maybe your guy is just short of some cells :P
lotabob Posted - 08/06/2011 : 19:38:33
Do the eyes react to changes in light? Shine a torch (briefly) in the eye and the pupil should go very small, turn if off and the pupil will open again. The reaction should be almost instant.
MsThomson Posted - 08/06/2011 : 19:14:18
Mrs West acts similar to whats been said here....she noses about her feed tub and when she finds her mousey she jumps back a bit. Usually she moves around a bit and seems to accidently find her mouse before eating it. Although in saying this ive caught her watching me from her viv and she follows me like a little periscope when i pass the front of the viv, so im not sure why she jumps so much with the mouse! Will be interesting to see what everyone else has to say...
QueenVic Posted - 08/06/2011 : 17:36:31
It's funny, ive often thought that about my female, Espher.
Since we got her she's been very dopey, very slow and doesn't seem interested in surrounding either.
She never flinches or anything if i move my hand near her and it seems to shock her if i touch her nose (I realise it would anyway, but she never moves until i touch her.)
She's not very good at finding her mice either, even when its right next to her, she just goes up and down the front of the viv.

We've often thought she might be blind, but then she might just be a little dopey...

Mine's eyes look normal too...

Hope its alright!
Red123 Posted - 08/06/2011 : 13:07:10
His eyes look just like my other corns. There is no cloudiness redness or swelling and his skin around the eyes looks fine. Both eye caps were present with his last shed. Visually his eyes look normal. It really is just his behaviour that has made me wonder.
gingerpony Posted - 08/06/2011 : 12:52:43
do his eyes physically look any different to your other corns'? is there any cloudiness/opacity? redness/swelling? flaky skin surrounding the eye itself?
FiestaSTLou Posted - 08/06/2011 : 12:24:59
Sorry im not very clued up on snakies vet wise, the only thing i can suggest is does he have retained eye caps after his last shed?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000