The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Think my cornsnake is ill

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lydia Posted - 07/06/2011 : 10:45:56
Im very worried about my smallest cornsnake. It went through a funny patch 2 years ago where it regurged a couple of times but then went back to eating normally.

About 6 weeks ago, it regurged 3 days after feeding. I didnt then feed it for nearly 2 weeks, to give it time to recover. It then regurged 3 days after, as before. The last 2 times I've offered food it has just ignored it. So basically it hasnt now eaten for about 6 weeks. Have been offering much smaller mice, but even they arent being touched.

Tank hasnt been changed or moved round, has a nice warm hide and a cool hide, no noise or anything happening going on to upset it. We havent handled it since the first regurge, but I can tell it looks a bit thin.

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 08/06/2011 : 20:56:44
sounds like the temps are wrong and the heat isn't controlled or even monitored........
solve this and you'll likely solve the snake's regurge problem
Mamma Posted - 08/06/2011 : 14:26:09
Do you have digital thermometer? And a thermostat? xxx
Invalid User Posted - 08/06/2011 : 14:22:55
Temprature stays ambient?

How are you controlling the temp of the heatmat? Are you monitoring the actual temps of the warm end using a thermometer?

lydia Posted - 08/06/2011 : 14:19:12
The snake is very small, so its in one of those flat plastic boxes with lid. One end has a plastic hide, with small heat mat under that side. The other end has a hide made of a flat rock, held up by another rock. Aspen bedding. In the living room, temperature stays ambient all the time, no draughts or anything.
gingerpony Posted - 08/06/2011 : 12:58:49
you say your set-up hasn't changed but what is it like? including temps?
FiestaSTLou Posted - 08/06/2011 : 12:23:16
that sounds so pleasant :D haha! but i can see how it works haha!
lotabob Posted - 08/06/2011 : 00:50:08
(sick bags at the ready for those of a queasy nature) If you dont fancy full braining which is a bit messy I have used a ****tail stick (just in case the swearbeast get it, it is wooden spikey stick) and jam it in through the mousey mouth and up through the roof of the mouth and give it a jiggle, that way you get all the benefit of a brained mouse smell but the mess is a bit more contained into the mouth.
lydia Posted - 07/06/2011 : 12:25:05
Oh blimey, squeezing blood out - nearly put me off my crisps!

I've only tried warming the mouse up on my towel rail (not a nice sight for visitors)!! I'll try wriggling it next as well. Thanks.
herriotfan Posted - 07/06/2011 : 11:50:03
Try not to worry, even 6 weeks isn't a very long time for snakes not to feed, especially at this time of year when it's breeding season. Have you tried the usual 'tricks' to get him interested in his food, i.e. wiggling the mouse in front of him, sqeezing some blood out of the mouses nose, braining, leaving him in a rub with the mouse covered with a towel etc, etc? It might just be due to the breeding season. Let us know what you've tried and we can then come up with more ideas to help......

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000