The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Shed in 2 parts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spindle Posted - 24/05/2011 : 11:54:44
Wokw up this morning ans Evas shed but the sheds in 2 parts. I had a quick look at her before going to work and I didnt notice any retained shed but is this normal?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spindle Posted - 24/05/2011 : 20:18:27
My eyesight isnt the best. I dont finish work til 9 so I wont be home until 9:30. I will check as soon as Im home though. If the eyecaps havent come off is there anyway you can see this on the actual snake as well
Invalid User Posted - 24/05/2011 : 19:04:56
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Louise2778

Easiest way to tell the eyecaps have shed is to look at the shed skin and they are usually clearly visable on the head piece.

or if your eyesight is as rubbish as mine you can tell by trying to stick a pencil through the eyecaps on the shed..........if they're present you'll soon find out

Yours must be bad, mines awful but I manage to spot them....

I have actually gone through the substrate (aspen at the time) looking for Marvs eyecaps after he shed once and shredded the head piece! I found them too!!
gingerpony Posted - 24/05/2011 : 18:59:04
quote:
Originally posted by Louise2778

Easiest way to tell the eyecaps have shed is to look at the shed skin and they are usually clearly visable on the head piece.

or if your eyesight is as rubbish as mine you can tell by trying to stick a pencil through the eyecaps on the shed..........if they're present you'll soon find out
Invalid User Posted - 24/05/2011 : 18:20:20
quote:
Originally posted by MightyMouse

I was wondering this myself the first shed with us came off fantasticly one whole piece eyes an tip the lot. the 2nd shed with us came off in about 8 pieces and i have to bathe the tail tip off. Snake didnt mind at all hes lovely an placid.

The snake is about 5 yrs old 4.5 feet, in a 4 foot viv, always fresh water in deep bowl present. feeding no problem every 2 weeks. Inbetween the sheds (first shed with us was the first week we got it) i have swaped him from a 40w bulb to a mat and stat running between 27 & 30 degrees. Have changed from pine shavings to aspen.

Is it something im doing to make it go from a perfect shed to a right akward one? not enough moisture? too much heat? or just an unlucky wriggle?

If he had a bit of a bad shed with you you could try a moist hide in his viv for a few days next time you notice him going into shed. This usually helps problem sheds

Have a look at the sticky topic on shedding issues and it explains how to use a moist hide.
Invalid User Posted - 24/05/2011 : 18:18:52
Spindle Posted - 24/05/2011 : 17:38:38
The tail tip was perfect. I had a quick look at her eyes before I left for work this morning and didnt notice anything unusual. What sort of things am I looking for around the eyes?
MightyMouse Posted - 24/05/2011 : 17:24:22
I was wondering this myself the first shed with us came off fantasticly one whole piece eyes an tip the lot. the 2nd shed with us came off in about 8 pieces and i have to bathe the tail tip off. Snake didnt mind at all hes lovely an placid.

The snake is about 5 yrs old 4.5 feet, in a 4 foot viv, always fresh water in deep bowl present. feeding no problem every 2 weeks. Inbetween the sheds (first shed with us was the first week we got it) i have swaped him from a 40w bulb to a mat and stat running between 27 & 30 degrees. Have changed from pine shavings to aspen.

Is it something im doing to make it go from a perfect shed to a right akward one? not enough moisture? too much heat? or just an unlucky wriggle?
gingerpony Posted - 24/05/2011 : 15:07:17
as Louise said above, it's no problem at all, the shed skin is quite fragile and easily torn but it's a good idea to check that the parts most commonly retained (eyecaps and tail tip) have come off the snake
Invalid User Posted - 24/05/2011 : 12:02:03
As long as there is no retained shed don't worry.

Just make sure the eyecaps and tail tip have been shed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000