The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Change of feeding habits

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Larkspeed Posted - 09/05/2011 : 13:06:01
up until 3 weeks ago my corn was fed once a week on a Thursday and always took it's food quickly and without problem.

Normaly I would just dangle a mouse in front of it for about 5 seconds and it would strike at it, do it's death grip and proceed to eat it. This would be all over in 5 to 10 mins.

Three weeks ago however about 4 days after feeding the snake looked like it was hunting for food so I tried giving it another mouse which it took in much the same way it always had.

This 4 day feeding cycle repeated itself for the next two weeks but now all of a sudden it is not interested in food at all I tried feeding it a couple of days ago and the mouse ended up sitting in the viv overnight at which point I threw it out. Now 2 days later and over a week since it's last feeding and again it is just not interested in it's food.

It constantly roams it's viv now where before it did not and it seems to be pushing it's nose up against the glass in a bid to escape.

Is all of this normal behaviour?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 09/05/2011 : 18:52:07
if you've been feeding him every 4 days, he's now stopped doing this because he doesn't need another meal. Its like you going to an all you can eat restaurant and sitting there eating all day long - you're not going to need anything for a while after that lot :)

The 'trying to escape' is natural behaviour and nothing to worry about (unless your enclosure isn't secure enough)
gingerpony Posted - 09/05/2011 : 18:25:35
how old is the snake?
HannahB Posted - 09/05/2011 : 16:35:45
is it a male snake? its breeding season at the moment so it's possible that he's got lady snakes on the brain rather than food,
also I'd avoid feeding every four days - snakes are opportunistic feeders so usually will eat when it's offered even if they aren't particularly hungry

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000