The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Blood on sloughed skin

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LouiseB Posted - 04/04/2011 : 14:49:35
My corn snake has just shed her skin, and although she looks absolutely fine, I did notice that there were traces of blood on the skin itself, just around the bit that came from the cloaca. It was definitely blood and not poo!
Is there any cause for concern here, and has anyone else seen something like this on their snakes? My corn is 3 and a half years old and is generally very healthy.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 06/04/2011 : 16:05:24
its no indication really but you could try a scale count on the shed
zandefloss Posted - 06/04/2011 : 02:10:59
Just a little side question, is this a good indicator that the snake is female? My snake was sold to me as female, but I did not ask if it was a scale count or a pop/probe, so I'm not %100. On my snake the shedded/bloody part is lighter in colour, but is the same shape, could this confirm that she is female?

Thankyou, Zan x
LouiseB Posted - 04/04/2011 : 16:03:33
That's brilliant, everyone, thanks for your replies. Lixra, it did look like that, so thanks very much for posting that picture.

She is normal in every other way apart from being a bit overweight, but I have managed to get a bit of weight off her over the last few months and hopefully she will lose her little hips soon!
Lixra Posted - 04/04/2011 : 15:48:12
If your snake is female and what you saw looked like this:

It's completely normal and it's basically shedded scent glands, indicating the glands are not blocked and are free from infection.
herriotfan Posted - 04/04/2011 : 15:18:51
We have had a few postings about this before and generally it's nothing to worry about as long as she's ok in every other way.
zandefloss Posted - 04/04/2011 : 15:02:23
that happened with my snake a few sheds ago and I was reassured that it was completely normal :)

zan x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000