The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 My 2nd regurge :'( but....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrsA82 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 06:14:05
I'm not sure who it's from. I have 2 sharing a 3ft viv ( I've read the who debate on it ) I'm guessing it's Lola as it's happened before with her.

She's only had 4 feeds with me her 1st 1 regurged- got the problem sorted. The next 2 stayed down, but just got up and have noticed the hind part of a pinkie . Am totally gutted. Thought I had it sussed

THey were both fed on Tuesday morning. Yesterday afternoon Lola was back to her slim self. Which was why I was so surprised to find this pinkie . It could of been marley, who done it. Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions just cause she has regurged before.

I'm just now really worried and a bit upset too to be honest
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 14/02/2011 : 23:37:25
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Its not unusual to have a regurge with just the back end of the mouse, though it would suggest the items they are eating have the stomach stretched to full capacity effectively the mouse is plugging and protecting the back of the mouse while it dissolves at the front. Its possible that what you are feeding is too big for which ever one is regurging's stomach. Something to check!

The second thing to check when you get a regurge (and usually the culprit) is your temperatures, check you are getting the right hot end temps, too cold they regurge, too hot, they avoid the hot end and regurge.

You have to quickly find what you are doing wrong and correct it. Not a pop at you, but something is wrong and you control every aspect of their care.

If you notice, when you feed any snake the right size food, there is a bulge, so of course the stomach is stretched. if your snake ate backwards first, then i promise you that the head would be intact.
thats how it works, it starts from the front and works back.

The whole temperature thing is being blow out of proportion, they dont regurge if its too hot, they dont if its too cold, however, they MIGHT, there is no guarantee.

Nothing needs to be done quickly. Do not rush, take your time and get it right, rush it and there will be problems.

with regards to cause, yes there are many possibilities, but there is only one that is massively obvious, the size of the viv.
The whole co habbiting thing has been said, so i wont reiterate it, but the size thing needs to be reiterated.
Its not the stress of co habbiting, but the stress of such a large viv, not everyone struggles with that, but it seems that you are, that coupled with co habbiting probably isnt doing your 2 any good.
Follow the advice on this thread, but dont rush, take your time and do it right.
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/02/2011 : 13:36:53
Its also worth bearing in mind that if Marley was introduced to Lola (or vice versa) with no quarantine being carried out the unlikely but still possible event that Lola's regurge is caused by a disease, infection or parasite, may now also affect Marley (or vice versa).

Not much you can do now though. You say you've read the debate on co-habitation, but I would strongly suggest reading it again.
HannahB Posted - 13/02/2011 : 22:18:47
if it is cohabiting thats causing the problem you could split that viv in half and just get a heat mat to go in the middle along that divide - still making full use of the viv but potentially solving the problem and stopping her from stressing out
hope you find the cause soon
eeji Posted - 13/02/2011 : 19:09:24
What I meant was the fact that its unknown which snake has regurged.
Invalid User Posted - 13/02/2011 : 17:55:01
I can't offer anymore advice but this is one of the many reasons why I chose not to cohabit snakes.

The regurge may or may not be due to them sharing but the issue I have is that you don't know which one it was! You now have to treat both snakes as if they had done it.

Also if your snakes are on pinkies they must be quite small and that viv is huge.
lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 17:41:00
Sorry I worded badly (again) I mean't that the not knowing for sure who is regurging is the stronger arguement against cohabiting but the fact they are cohabited could very well be the reason for the regurge and cannot be ruled out.

Personally I would combine all these theories and tackle every single one.

*The viv appears to be a three footer at least in the pics, far too big for hatchies.

*Cohabiting could be stressing the snake that is regurging.

*The food may be too large.

*The temperatures could be wrong (a huge proportion of problems are caused by this one).

You could pick one of these and get lucky but its more than likely a combination of them, possibly all of them. To be 100% sure the only way to sort the problem and protect the snake is unfortunately an overhaul of a setup thats not working.
MrsA82 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 17:09:41
she has regurged while living on her own in a rub. She was moved into the viv after the first regurge and has been fine up until now
gmac Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:46:36
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Subz

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

this is a good case against cohabbing, you need to do as Gmac suggests at the earliest opportunity - most rep shops are open today if you need to buy in another set up, and while you're there get hold of some reptoboost and make up a solution for both your snakes.

If co-habitation was the cause then logically every feed would cause the same result, + i'm sure there would be other changes in the snakes behaviour to indicate they don't want to live together.

Not all co-habitation is bad.

no not all cohab is bad, but id like proof that this is not the cause of the regurge. without this you can not say this is not at least part of the cause

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Its not cohabitation as the cause, its the inability to know which snake has regurged. Thats what eeji is getting at. I have to agree, I have been on the fence with cohabitation but have now seen enough examples of it not been in the best interests of the snake to be 100% against it.

same as above, what do you have to prove this.
Kehhlyr Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:40:22
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

..................the pinkie she had was diddy ............

How big are the snakes and how big is the viv??

Fear of predation and the need to make a quick escape can cause a regurge as well.
lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:26:24
Its not cohabitation as the cause, its the inability to know which snake has regurged. Thats what eeji is getting at. I have to agree, I have been on the fence with cohabitation but have now seen enough examples of it not been in the best interests of the snake to be 100% against it.

n/a Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:22:18
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

this is a good case against cohabbing, you need to do as Gmac suggests at the earliest opportunity - most rep shops are open today if you need to buy in another set up, and while you're there get hold of some reptoboost and make up a solution for both your snakes.

If co-habitation was the cause then logically every feed would cause the same result, + i'm sure there would be other changes in the snakes behaviour to indicate they don't want to live together.

Not all co-habitation is bad.

quote:
Its not unusual to have a regurge with just the back end of the mouse, though it would suggest the items they are eating have the stomach stretched to full capacity effectively the mouse is plugging and protecting the back of the mouse while it dissolves at the front. Its possible that what you are feeding is too big for which ever one is regurging's stomach. Something to check!

This seems a more logical explaination
lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:21:55
Thats your best bet, deal with this regurge as normal, then start on very very small pinkies or if you cant get smaller jut heads for the first 2 feeds, work up slowly and keep a strict record of what your feeding, I would also keep a record of weight when ever you are dealing with a feeding issue.

The reason I say about air holes is that bulb you are using will heat the box up very quickly and without air flow it will quickly suffocate the little snake. Do you have a heat mat? Its going to be much easier to regulate temperature in the box using a mat.

You have options before thinking the worse about the snake been ill in some way, has she ever kept a meal down with you?
MrsA82 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:14:49
There are holes on each side of the box, the pinkie she had was diddy and didn't leave much of a belly on her, will start her off on heads after the 14 days though and pick her some little runts
lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 16:10:21
Where are the airholes on that lunch box?

For the next few feeds you really need to drop as small as possible, and work up to the correct size.
MrsA82 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 15:58:58
Her temp in the rub is currently reading 27.7 was on 28.4 when I first opened it to put probe in so dropped 1 degree since lids been open. I've put a pic at the both to show how it's sitting.

I give her the smallest pinkies possible as she's quite small, it was a 5 day gap between this feed and her last feed. So not a massive gap, maybe too soon? Maybe drop to heads?

I'm just concerned as I have another set up the same, stacked on top. Same temps as below and having no troubles. Just thinking if it was Lola again, if it could be something wrong with her? I'm not trying to wriggle out saying it's not my fault, I'm just worried she could be ill

Reptoboost is brought gonna give them some now

lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 15:47:03

The second thing to check when you get a regurge (and usually the culprit) is your temperatures, check you are getting the right hot end temps, too cold they regurge, too hot, they avoid the hot end and regurge.

You have to quickly find what you are doing wrong and correct it. Not a pop at you, but something is wrong and you control every aspect of their care.

gmac Posted - 13/02/2011 : 15:15:17
if the rub is in the middle of the viv, what temps are you getting in the rub.
MrsA82 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 15:09:30
i seperated them this morning. lola is in a temp RUB inside the viv. ive place her roughly in the middle?

so now off to get some reptoboost, and no feeding for next 10-14 days for both of them.

Also the lady at the local reptile place, seems to think it was odd that the regurge was a complete tail and legs backend- everything else gone. but they were still complete?? is it unusual for them to be still whole and completely undigested when the rest is gone?
eeji Posted - 13/02/2011 : 14:48:34
gmac Posted - 13/02/2011 : 14:18:41
seperate them now, you need to find out what one is regurging and that cant be done with them together.

As you don't know what one regurged you will have to treat both the same (as if the regurge was from both your snakes), therefore no feeding for either for 10-14 days.

I would keep these snakes separate as one is regurging, and you don't know why, and after each one you still wont know what one it is so these guys must be kept apart from each other.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000