The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Strange Belly Marks? Or Neurotic Owner?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie Posted - 11/02/2011 : 22:50:42
OK, I may be being a paranoid owner, but Vin's tummy seems to be displaying funny marks. Not so easy to explain without pics, but since the little guys still digesting I'll have to do my best.

His tummy on his upper half is perfectly white/clean, while his lower belly seems to have black-ish (a light black not dark if that makes sense) marks around the scale edges. Not mites as they do not move and are not black spots, not a surface wound or burn as his tummy is perfectly smooth to touch and he isn't in any discomfort.

I wondered if he'd somehow got some dirt in his scales (despite his cage being kept clean and all defecation removed as soon as seen) but he was out and about climbing around the roof of his faun the other day and he lost grip and fell in his water bowl, I fished the poor little man out and let him glide across my jumper to dry off and nothing was "cleaned" off, the marks remained.

Would he benefit from a bath? Also as he climbs around the black plastic lid of the faun, could he be somehow rubbing off the colour? It isn't anywhere else on his body. Confused as it looks a little peculiar but he seems happy as ever. Does this happen when they're due a shed?

I know this isn't a very good description but if anyone can offer any guidance that would be great, thanks
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Newbie Posted - 12/02/2011 : 22:19:04
Awww thanks, no don't worry, I won't be taking the brilo pad to Vin anytime soon lol just thank god its a normal scale pattern!
lotabob Posted - 12/02/2011 : 20:59:16
Just glad you didn't get the brillo pad out to scrub the muck off, lol. We all keep such a close eye on their scales for mites, scale rot, signs of imminent sheddingness. Consider it a good thing that you are just been observant & careful and if you don't know you ask, its better that way than just presuming its all fine.
Newbie Posted - 12/02/2011 : 18:09:33
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Have a look a www.iansvivarium.com look up the morph of snake you have (have a look at other morphs too) and have a look at the ventral (belly) picture, get an idea of what is normal ventral markings. A lot of corn snakes have dark ventral markings, some look almost like a checkerboard.

Awwww I could hug you lotabob! The ventral markings of the motley on the Ian's Vivarium site are exactly the same! Upper belly beautifully white and lower belly a bit mucky looking! Thank you so much! Aaaaand breath now feeling a bit daft that it didn't occur to me to check that...ah well I'm not blonde for nothing!
lotabob Posted - 12/02/2011 : 17:34:08
Have a look a www.iansvivarium.com look up the morph of snake you have (have a look at other morphs too) and have a look at the ventral (belly) picture, get an idea of what is normal ventral markings. A lot of corn snakes have dark ventral markings, some look almost like a checkerboard.
mikerichards Posted - 12/02/2011 : 00:28:32
to be honest, the only real way we can say anything is with pics.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000