The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 heat in the vivarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cammy Posted - 08/02/2011 : 16:53:24
hi there my thermometre is telling me the hot end is 26 c and the cold end is 21.4 c i have been checking for my heat but i have tryed my heatmats and will not go any higher what the heat mat is half way across the vivarium what should i do to get it higher.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cammy Posted - 11/02/2011 : 23:16:33
thanks for that.
i think my parents have one lying around somewhere
lotabob Posted - 11/02/2011 : 20:02:01
Aquarium sealant or a quick drying option, a hot glue gun. I have mine stuck down with glue gun glue, its just plastic and non toxic and sets fast enough to only need a minute before its safe (and the mat doesn't get even close to softening it).
cammy Posted - 11/02/2011 : 19:14:45
all set up now.
28degc-30deg c in warm end and 23deg c in cool end.

one problem is they are lifting the heat mat so what glue do i use to glue the mat to the viv base
simonw Posted - 11/02/2011 : 12:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Yes I would query how you are reading the temps as well. What kind of themometer and where is it reading from?
Also I have found that if it have a heat mat on just on it's own to test then I struggle to get the temps up, but if i put a hide or log or something on it, it seems to get hotter. Maybe having something to eat up makes it work better. Worth a go if you are still struggling and everything else is ok

You're completely correct. Heat mats emit infra-red radiation to heat objects around it, rather than conduction or convection, which is why the air doesn't warm (except the objects then heating the air around them).
cammy Posted - 10/02/2011 : 18:36:50
will clean them out later and set it up properly.
so i put the stat sensor and the themometer sensor on the heat mat and set the habistat dial to around 28-30 degc and monitor the thermometer readout and alter the habistat dial until it evens out at 28-30deg c.

the thermometer in the cool end should be just above the aspen in the layer the snake inhabits.
lotabob Posted - 10/02/2011 : 18:30:19
quote:
Originally posted by cammy

so i put the habistat sensor on the mat or the digital therm sensor on the mat?

BOTH
cammy Posted - 10/02/2011 : 17:28:20
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Just to add my penny's worth,i would also thin out the layer of aspen above the mat as this will insulate the heat,you just need a thin layer.

i have took some bedding out and it is on the warm to about 29.0 c so better than like 24 c lol
lee2308 Posted - 10/02/2011 : 16:48:35
Just to add my penny's worth,i would also thin out the layer of aspen above the mat as this will insulate the heat,you just need a thin layer.
cammy Posted - 10/02/2011 : 16:15:09
so i put the habistat sensor on the mat or the digital therm sensor on the mat?
Benji54 Posted - 10/02/2011 : 12:40:21
sorry to hijack thread but have you got my email yet cammy. may be useful to ya? my addy is on my profile
Sta~ple Posted - 10/02/2011 : 10:55:46
Is the aspen 2 inches deep on the hot end? he apsen needs to be a lot thinner on the hot end if your using a mat, like 1cm. Also as mike said, senor on the mat definitely.
mikerichards Posted - 10/02/2011 : 10:39:25
ok, the sensor needs to be on the mat, 2 inches above is only gonna give you air temps, which are no good to you.
as long as you are using a digital thermometer, and not the dial type or strip, then you will get a good reading, the dials and strips are a waste of money, they are slow to respond and not overly accurate.
cammy Posted - 10/02/2011 : 10:21:17
ive seperated my male and female for now.
the female is in a 3ft viv with a 2ins layer of aspen and a heat mat of 15*12 inches rated at 20w.
it get very warm to touch. the temp is measured with the sensor about 2inches above the aspen. her house is on the aspen directly above the mat so the house maybe a bit warmer than the viv as the cave has a roof on it. the temp in the viv is 27deg c and in the cave about 28-29 deg c

the male is in a 2ft tank with a heat mat of 10*14ins rated at 12watts. the temp in there is averaging 25 dec c
kdlang Posted - 08/02/2011 : 18:53:35
Yes I would query how you are reading the temps as well. What kind of themometer and where is it reading from?
Also I have found that if it have a heat mat on just on it's own to test then I struggle to get the temps up, but if i put a hide or log or something on it, it seems to get hotter. Maybe having something to eat up makes it work better. Worth a go if you are still struggling and everything else is ok
mikerichards Posted - 08/02/2011 : 18:30:39
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Hi Cammy. How are you reading the temps, is it from a digital thermometer?

Did you get the heat mat with the viv? Do you know what wattage it is and what size?

Are you using a thermostat? If so do you know to ignore the temp dial on the thermostat and just adjust it so that you go by the reading from the thermometer not what the stat say? For example, my thermostat is set to 33c but my digital thermometers read 29c at the warm end.

Second that, good reply there!!
Invalid User Posted - 08/02/2011 : 18:27:23
Hi Cammy. How are you reading the temps, is it from a digital thermometer?

Did you get the heat mat with the viv? Do you know what wattage it is and what size?

Are you using a thermostat? If so do you know to ignore the temp dial on the thermostat and just adjust it so that you go by the reading from the thermometer not what the stat say? For example, my thermostat is set to 33c but my digital thermometers read 29c at the warm end.

cammy Posted - 08/02/2011 : 17:56:45
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

i have done :)

what is your email address
cammy Posted - 08/02/2011 : 17:54:46
quote:

it isnt on my email
Benji54 Posted - 08/02/2011 : 17:51:53
cammy Posted - 08/02/2011 : 17:49:50
quote:

no probs. ive dropped you an email... i think??

i havnt got it yet try send me one of hotmail copy my email address.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000