The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 new corn snaker owner ....concerns?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16/01/2011 : 18:12:48
Hi all,
I'm a newish corn snake owner and have owned my corn snake for approx a month and half now. I done all my research etc before I went ahead and bought one.
I decided it was time to buy one and bought a beautiful female 3yr old 4ft long. I viewed her asked all the right questions etc.
However, I have noticed 1 or 2 things recently that might be nothing and me just being stupid but just wanted to check.
Firstly is her scales underneath her some parts are smooth and then between some of them it almost feels like they are cracked, like they are ever so slightly lifting. I noticed this around 2 weeks ago and it hasn't got any worse. Underneath is it ment to be nice and smooth or are they ment to be in segments like.
Secondly she is awfully quiet in her tank and sleeps a lot. I've never seen her move about or drink\go in the water. I know they normally only go in the water when shedding. sometimes when I put her back in the tank, like tonight, she will just stay still almost freeze, she will stop flickering her tounge and not move for a little while.
Is all this normal and is it just me being stupid and just caring for her.
Any opinions would be great.
Thanks
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/02/2011 : 18:16:12
hi,sorry for the delay in pictures and a reply but i've been extremely busy with work etc. i got on talking to a vet the other day and she had a look at her and it turns out its not scale rot but just the colouring of her.
thanks for all your replys though.
mikerichards Posted - 21/01/2011 : 19:16:15
For a start, any potential problems are not ignored, they are very well dealt with, so Mr Viper Boa, you shouldnt really make that judgement so quickly, especially as it would appear you havent done your research to back up your arguement.
Having slightly raised crinkled ventral scales is not the end of the world, we have no visual indication of whats happening, it maybe whilst its trying to climb, hold on, or generally move.
I will admit that if they are turning yellow then thats not so great, but there is no indication as to the morph of the snake, it could be a butter for all that is said in this thread, it could be a morph including hypo, in which case the belly patter may be fading because its coming into shed.

I would definately suggest you post some pictures, try and make them as clear as possible outlining anything you think may be a problem, and certainly a nice detailed pic of any suspected discoloration, NOTHING can be determined without an inspection.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 21/01/2011 : 17:25:38
quote:
Originally posted by candoia aspera

quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

The snakes scales sound perfectly normal.

so raised, rough ventral scales that are turning yellow is normal? right.......

No, of course not. Please refrain from being condescending about it! We're all trying to help here. Often healthy ventral scales can raise up and catch on clothing etc. Say if you're trying to get the snake out of your jumper or something! My point was, prescribing the treatment for scale rot could be completely unnecessary seeing as how you havent even seen a picture!

I sugested to Chapmand that a picture might be helpful, and if it turns out that the snake does indeed have scale rot, all solutions would be welcome i'm sure!

There's lots of scale rot pictures on google to compare your snake's belly to if you are concerned!
n/a Posted - 21/01/2011 : 09:31:40
it almost looks like a pattern underneath, as though some parts of the scales have been a ifferent colour earlier then faded away slightly. Will try and get a pic.
n/a Posted - 21/01/2011 : 08:35:53
quote:
Originally posted by vetdebbie

OR......... the snake may be due to shed. A lot of ours go a bit yellow and crinkly a couple of weeks before shedding.

right........ because that's normal

it sounds to me that you lot would rather do an ostrich impression than tackle potential health issues before they become a problem

i'll back out of this thread as time will tell with this one.
n/a Posted - 21/01/2011 : 08:16:45
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

The snakes scales sound perfectly normal.

so raised, rough ventral scales that are turning yellow is normal? right.......
vetdebbie Posted - 20/01/2011 : 22:23:47
quote:

my guess is that your snake has scale rot, there are different sorts such as viral, bacterial and fungle it's usually caused by poor husbandry and dirty conditions. this can't have been something you've done as you've not had the snake nearly long enough for this to happen whilst in your care.
the best way to treat it is to clean your viv/rub and use kitchen paper as a substrait. then use a product called vanodine v10 (a derivative of iodine) which has anti viral, bactial and fungicide properties. dilute to a safe level 1:20 with water, apply this to kitchen paper and rub the affected area twice per day which will stop the infection, then apply organic 100% aloe vera gel which promotes healthy growth of the scales. it'll take about a month to sort it out.

there's some good info out there on the web so what i'd do first of all is read about it, compare pics to your snake and decide what you would like to do from there.

OR......... the snake may be due to shed. A lot of ours go a bit yellow and crinkly a couple of weeks before shedding.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 20/01/2011 : 18:50:05
quote:

my guess is that your snake has scale rot,

Bit hasty don't you think?! The snakes scales sound perfectly normal. You definitely can't diagnose scale rot from that description anyways!!

@ Chapmand, if your snakes belly looks odd, post a picture and let us see, If not, don't worry about it:) Don't go treating your snake for a medical condition it may not have!

Katie
n/a Posted - 20/01/2011 : 06:47:04
my guess is that your snake has scale rot, there are different sorts such as viral, bacterial and fungle it's usually caused by poor husbandry and dirty conditions. this can't have been something you've done as you've not had the snake nearly long enough for this to happen whilst in your care.
the best way to treat it is to clean your viv/rub and use kitchen paper as a substrait. then use a product called vanodine v10 (a derivative of iodine) which has anti viral, bactial and fungicide properties. dilute to a safe level 1:20 with water, apply this to kitchen paper and rub the affected area twice per day which will stop the infection, then apply organic 100% aloe vera gel which promotes healthy growth of the scales. it'll take about a month to sort it out.

there's some good info out there on the web so what i'd do first of all is read about it, compare pics to your snake and decide what you would like to do from there.
n/a Posted - 20/01/2011 : 03:49:41
Hello.. Just looking around and noticed your topic. It was so funny to see that you've had yours about a month and a half and she's three.. Mine also!! (Actually, my son's - I got it for him at Christmas). I had some concerns, too and the people here were so quick and cool. Came to the rescue right away. Very supportive. Our snake (Jewels) just shed her skin tonight!! Crazy. I love this stuff.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.
n/a Posted - 18/01/2011 : 09:31:08
i think there is slightly a yellow colour bearly noticeable but will check tonight. is this a concern?
n/a Posted - 18/01/2011 : 06:46:17
is there any discolouration to the ventral scales? like turning yellow to brown?
n/a Posted - 17/01/2011 : 11:00:09
ahh yes lotabob i did feel it last night when handling her. So i guess it is al normal and just me being paranoid. Thanks for all your help people. this is the first topic ive started as im new here and recieved great help.
thanks
lotabob Posted - 17/01/2011 : 00:54:54
I find it amazing how they use their ventral scales for moving and grip. It does feel very strange if one catches on your skin but its totally normal for them to lift to a certain extent at the edges. You might notice another strange scale related phenomenon too, they creak and squeak and you can feel this when holding the snake, again totaly normal and just the way scales move against one another.

In regards to feeding the safe size guide is that the mouse at its thickest point should be no bigger than 1.5 times the thickest part of the snake. I think they do appear to struggle to take their food, I suppose I would too if I had to swallow it whole but its how they are designed, and it does take a bit of stretching to get the job done, as long as its no more than the 1.5 rule then she will be fine.

n/a Posted - 16/01/2011 : 21:32:19
Oh another I forgot to mention was about feeding.
When I bought her they were feeding her on 1small mouse every 8days or so. I had slight doubts wether this was enough for her so asked my local reptile dealer and suggested that I should try feeding a medium sized mouse but when I did she seemed to be struggle to take it. So went back to a small mouse a few weeks later I tried a medium mouse and she seemed to take it fine. Is this the right sized mouse for a 3yr old female 4ft long.
n/a Posted - 16/01/2011 : 21:11:28
Thanks, I'm just abit of a worrier as I'm newish to snakes. Yeah louise32 that's what its like on her scales kinda gripping.
Invalid User Posted - 16/01/2011 : 18:51:08
The first thing I noticed about Nimbus when I held him was how he uses his belly scales. He will almost grip with them and it feels like they are catching on my clothes at times.

Nimbus has only ever been seen in his water bowl before he sheds. I know he drinks as when I change his water I notice the water does go down a little each day but I have yet to see him drink.
tehbunneh Posted - 16/01/2011 : 18:32:58
None of my lads ever get in their water bowl, and Ripley only ever seems to have a drink when he is sat on my hand. I don't think you have anything too much to worry about. Sometime on Ripley, if I'm trying to lift him off my hands, he'll stick out his belly scales to stop from being moved. They are segmented, I guess you could say, but maybe keep your eye on those belly scales and check her after she next sheds to see if there is any damage on the shed skin and that all the skin comes off ok from her belly ^^ Corn snakes are generally a pretty lazy snake, especially as they get older. My two young'uns are out for about an hour every few nights, my older two hardly ever go for a wander when I'm up at the same time. Perhaps she's more of a night owl?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000