The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Temperature?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 03/10/2010 : 16:30:34
Ok, I got a thermometer the other day to help better monitor my two corns. The temp at the warm end has never gone above 26.6 (centigrade) at the highest, I understand that this is a bit low. My question is, would installing a heat lamp improve this or would this do some harm? As one pet shop cashier told me lights can damage their eyes. I seriously doubt this but thought I'd check with you guys anyways. Or would a thermostat be better? Any help is greatly appreciated to keep my corns in top condition :)
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 05/10/2010 : 10:01:35
if you've got a 4ft x 2ft viv just put a divider/partition in so they have half each, it's still plenty of space

when i've done this in the past i've also put in one big heat mat (11"x22" ish) going under the divider so they each have half of the mat and it only needs one stat to run off

the difference in their sizes could be due to age or the stress from co-habiting (the smaller one failing to thrive/do well despite being treated the same) and the regurge could be a result of that too
n/a Posted - 04/10/2010 : 15:41:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I would be very concerned about running a heatmat without a stat....even though you have something monitoring the heat in the viv. An unstatted heatmat can heat up to levels that can burn your snakes. I am no expert but I would suggest that you turn your heatmat off and get a stat as soon as possible, like today!

These threads show you why they are so important - Importance of having a stat and monitor and Do I need a thermostat? (upsetting reading).

What I am wondering is how the probes for the digital thermometer are positioned as this can effect the reading you get. This thread on Probe Positioning might be of some interest to double check that you have the probe in the right place. I have found that it is vital that the probe is lying flat against the heatmat, preferably either glued down or weighed down, as otherwise it can lift off the heatmat (or be moved by the snake) and will be reading the ambient temperature not the heatmat temperature, which could explain why you are getting such a low reading.

You say these are your first snakes and you would appreciate any advice given. What does concern me is that you have your 2 corns living together. This is something that can cause serious problems and is a very sensitive topic.

People who do cohabit either do it because they dont know about the risks involved, or have been given poor advice, or are very experienced keepers who know what the danger signs are and what to look out for in terms of stress with the snakes...and those experienced keepers cohabit older corns and do so very carefully with the supplies to be able to separate them at any given moment.

Often people think it is ‘sweet’ because their corns are curling up together inside a hide, you cannot assume that its because they like each other or its because they want to be near each other...its not - its because they are competing for space and one clearly thinks that the other has got the best space already.

A member of this forum has 6 corns and I know how tempting it must be to cohabit them, to save space, but the health and wellbeing of her corns is more important to her than how much space they take up.

Personally I hope you decide to separate them, but if you do decide to keep them together then keep an eye out for little individual changes - snakes dont often show signs of stress like we do so its possible that one might already be stressed without you realising....not eating and not being particularly active can be a sign of stress.

Take time to look at this link - Advice on sharing a viv. I know it is long and shows how emotional people can get on this topic.....but it also shows you why people respond that way and will mean that you can decide what to do with your snakes being fully informed of the risks.

Please, dont take this as criticism! I am only concerned about your corns welfare and I am sure you feel the same.

xxx

I do appreciate any and all advice given, especially if I'm doing something wrong, all the more reason to tell me. I was told by the reptile shop I bought them from that having two females together is not a big issue, though, one of my snakes has possibly been showing signs of stress and I just haven't realised it, in being that she's stopped eating, and has regurgitated everything she's eaten the last few weeks and seems to have been either impacted or badly constipated lately. The latter seems to have cleared up, but could this be an indication of stress? I don't have the finances at the moment to buy another £300+ viv for my other corn (I realise that I shouldn't have got them if I am struggling to pay for things they need, but in my defence, I was told it wouldn't be an issue). They have been fine with each other for the past few years, but I have a feeling (based on size and weight of them) that one of them is significantly older than the other, possibly up to 12-18 months, I'm wondering if the older snake is starting to reach maturity and is now reacting to the younger because of this? Would this cause the lack of eating and other problems? And one final thing, if I am able to sort something out to seperate the corns, would the current enclosure (4ft by 2ft) not be too big for one corn on it's own?

I realise this is alot of questions, but tbh, you guys have worried me now that I'm not doing the best by my pets and I'm feelin kinda bad about it, I want them to be as happy and healthy as possible =/
gingerpony Posted - 04/10/2010 : 10:19:16
make sure the thermometer probe is on top of the substrate above the heatmat and the substrate is thinned out over the heatmat otherwise the substrate will insulate the heat from your snake
Kellog Posted - 04/10/2010 : 04:59:45
I would be very concerned about running a heatmat without a stat....even though you have something monitoring the heat in the viv. An unstatted heatmat can heat up to levels that can burn your snakes. I am no expert but I would suggest that you turn your heatmat off and get a stat as soon as possible, like today!

These threads show you why they are so important - Importance of having a stat and monitor and Do I need a thermostat? (upsetting reading).

What I am wondering is how the probes for the digital thermometer are positioned as this can effect the reading you get. This thread on Probe Positioning might be of some interest to double check that you have the probe in the right place. I have found that it is vital that the probe is lying flat against the heatmat, preferably either glued down or weighed down, as otherwise it can lift off the heatmat (or be moved by the snake) and will be reading the ambient temperature not the heatmat temperature, which could explain why you are getting such a low reading.

You say these are your first snakes and you would appreciate any advice given. What does concern me is that you have your 2 corns living together. This is something that can cause serious problems and is a very sensitive topic.

People who do cohabit either do it because they dont know about the risks involved, or have been given poor advice, or are very experienced keepers who know what the danger signs are and what to look out for in terms of stress with the snakes...and those experienced keepers cohabit older corns and do so very carefully with the supplies to be able to separate them at any given moment.

Often people think it is ‘sweet’ because their corns are curling up together inside a hide, you cannot assume that its because they like each other or its because they want to be near each other...its not - its because they are competing for space and one clearly thinks that the other has got the best space already.

A member of this forum has 6 corns and I know how tempting it must be to cohabit them, to save space, but the health and wellbeing of her corns is more important to her than how much space they take up.

Personally I hope you decide to separate them, but if you do decide to keep them together then keep an eye out for little individual changes - snakes dont often show signs of stress like we do so its possible that one might already be stressed without you realising....not eating and not being particularly active can be a sign of stress.

Take time to look at this link - Advice on sharing a viv. I know it is long and shows how emotional people can get on this topic.....but it also shows you why people respond that way and will mean that you can decide what to do with your snakes being fully informed of the risks.

Please, dont take this as criticism! I am only concerned about your corns welfare and I am sure you feel the same.

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:44:20
That's a huuuge viv. I guess both the snakes are in it? How big is the heatmat and how thick is the substrate? The probes are sat right ontop of the mat?

Hetamats generally get very hot without a stat so it to be quite coll is bizarre. What make is it?
n/a Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:39:03
Hah, alot of quick replies, allow me to answer them in order :)

Sta~ple & gmac: It's a 4ft by 2ft viv, wooden with a glass sliding door heated by a 2ft by 8in (at a guess) heatmat located in the viv under the wood chippings.

rachiepotatoe: Yes, the thermometer is digital.

Chez: I will be getting a thermostat as soon as I can, as the consensus seems to be that thy're vital :)

Hope I've answered all questions better this time, again, any advice or even criticism is appreciated, these are my first snakes, I'm doing my best to keep them healthy and happy.
Sta~ple Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:27:20
Poly isn't really ideal if the set-up is a wooden viv :/ and you shouldn't really be putting viv's ontop of heatmats.
gmac Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:26:21
heating the enclosure with a heat bulbs are fine and they should not damage their eyes. But you must have this bulb statted by a dimmer stat and also a bulbguard is a must.

As sta~ple has asked what type and size of enclosure are you using, what is the size and where is the location of your heatmat.
rachiepotatoe Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:24:44
first of all, is it a digital thermometer? If not, it's proberbly inaccurate, my exo terra dial one said like 25 and it was actually 29 according to my digital. So if it's not digital, get one :) 2 quid off ebay! bargain

You can have heat lamps but you would need a cage around it so your snake wont get burnt (personally I don't like heat lamps, but some people do :)

And get a thermostat regardless. Without a stat any mat could overheat, burn your snake or even cause fires in serious cases.

When you get a thermostat and digital thermometer, then you can see what the temp actually is and see if you even need any other heat source or make any changes at all.
Hope this is some help :)
Chez Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:22:04
A thermostat is vital to make sure your corn is well heated, also as your temps are quite low try getting a sheet of polystyrene and put the heat mat on there and then the viv on top of that to try and make sure the heat is going into the viv. so there would be no need having a heat lamp. hope that helps
Sta~ple Posted - 03/10/2010 : 17:21:16
What do you heat with at the moment and what is the set-up like?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000