The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elusive_elf Posted - 02/10/2010 : 12:27:51
Hi there,

I'm new to the site and also new to having a corn snake, so bare with me if this is a very basic question/worry.

I've had Rolo for about 2 months now, she's in a viv of about 2ftx1ftx1.5ft. Temperatures are usually around 23C (I know it's a little low) and she has lots of boxes and trees to hide under and seemed very comfortable till about last week.

We went to feed her with a fuzzy (her 4th feed of a fuzzy). She had a lot of trouble eating it and late regurgitated. I was a little worried but Rolo did look like she was starting to go blue, and sure enough she went really blue a few days later. It has now been a week since we last tried to feed her and she has had her skin almost completely blue and unable to see, but has now started to go back to her regular colour Without shedding. Is this ok/normal or should I be worried.

Thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 03/10/2010 : 04:44:11
Is the heatmat controlled by a thermostat and how are you monitoring the temp, is it with a digital thermometer or a dial thermometer stuck on the wall of her viv?

My snake, Silvesta, had too low temps as he was only being heated by a bulb that was switched off at night (the set-up he came in) and he was fine for a while, no problems with feeding. I wasnt at all happy with it but because of a stubborn OH couldnt change it. But then he regurged and I am convinced it was because of the temp situation....so despite it being fine for a while it did then cause a problem. He now has a heatmat that is controlled by a stat and monitored by a digital thermometer....and the only lighting he has is a low wattage bulb for my benefit, not for heat. He is a much happier snake and I am a very relieved owner.

I wouldnt think that the bulb outside the viv is making any difference to the heat inside, so it is only the heatmat that is heating the viv....and GingerPony is right, 23oC is very low - it is the temp you are aiming for in the cool end, in the warm end you want a temp of between 27oC and 29oC. But again, a lot depends on where and how you are measuring that temp.

As Herriotfan has said, and GingerPony agreed of course , what is happening to her is perfectly normal. Her eyes and colour will soon clear up and then it should be about 4/5 days before she sheds, although all corns are different - Silvesta just shed and took nearly 2 weeks from his eyes clearing up til he shed !

Hopefully you will have read the topic GingerPony linked you to so you will not try to feed her for 10 days after she regurgitated, as she needs that time for her stomach to recover. That should be after she has shed, if it isnt then wait until she has shed before offering her food again.

The more info you can give us on her set-up then the more help we can be at getting to the bottom of why she regurged.

xxx

elusive_elf Posted - 03/10/2010 : 00:54:54
Heating is done with a heat mat under the viv and a 60 watt bulb next to the glass on the outside of the viv. Any recommended ways of increasing the heat?
gingerpony Posted - 02/10/2010 : 20:37:22
how are you heating the setup?

there may be other issues that have caused the regurge but from the info given the too-low temp would seem a good starting place.
elusive_elf Posted - 02/10/2010 : 16:31:24
Herriotfan: hi, and thanks ^^

Gingerpony: she's seemed fine at that temperature before... The issue was she regurgitated within an hour or two...
gingerpony Posted - 02/10/2010 : 14:01:16
as per HF's reply above

my concern is the regurge....probably caused by the incorrect temperatures which are easily fixed
have a read of this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792
herriotfan Posted - 02/10/2010 : 12:50:24
That's perfectly normal. You will find that she goes back to looking normal again then after a few days she will shed and will then look all fresh, bright and shiney!!
After she's shed just check the old skin to make sure the tip of her tail and the eyecaps have shed too. Once she's shed you could then offer her a fuzzy.
I hope you get to watch her shedding, it's a really awesome sight!!

Edit to add......Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000