The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Loads of sheds!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LouiseB Posted - 17/08/2010 : 17:54:12
Hi, I usually hang around in the hognose forum, but I've just come over here because my normally trouble-free corn has just started to shed for the third time in about 4 months, and I'm just wondering if this is normal? She's about 3 years old and 5ft long, and she doesn't seem to have grown all that much considering how much she's been shedding.
Could there be some sort of underlying health problem I should check her for?
Many thanks!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 23/08/2010 : 08:27:52
totally agree with mike above................

i rehomed a '7ft corn' a few years ago (my OAP, Oscar) measured properly he's still a very decent size of 5'6"
mikerichards Posted - 21/08/2010 : 06:54:25
Measuring a shed skin is not even worth it, I have an 8ft skin than came off a 5ft snake!! Bit of string, run it down the body, measure the string when done, that way is accurate.
5ft at 3 years is so unlikey she is either not 3yrs, or she is about 4ft.
LouiseB Posted - 20/08/2010 : 15:54:59
Well, the length is my best estimate from measuring her shed skin, but she's definitely near that size! I haven't been power feeding her - I think she's just big-boned...
gingerpony Posted - 18/08/2010 : 09:33:14
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

5ft at 3 yrs??? Very unlikely unless she/he has been seriously power fed

were my first thoughts too!

though reasons for frequent shedding include growth spurts, illness/injury or external parasites
mikerichards Posted - 17/08/2010 : 23:06:55
5ft at 3 yrs??? Very unlikely unless she/he has been seriously power fed, most only get to about 4ft in 3 yrs at a push! However, regardless, 5ft is about as big as she's gonna get, so that would explain the longer intervals between sheds, its nothing that's needs to be worried about, its perfectly normal.
LouiseB Posted - 17/08/2010 : 18:05:26
Thanks, I didn't think it was anything too worrying, but I thought I'd better check!
She did have some damaged scales earlier this year because she kept pressing herself up against her viv door, but she got rid of those a couple of sheds ago, so I don't think there are any left. Hopefully this will be the last shed for a while...
gmac Posted - 17/08/2010 : 17:59:17
Dont think three sheds on 4 months is anything to worry about seems normal to me.
you could look her over and see if there is any damaged scales that she is trying to sort out, but i think her shedding is reasonable.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000