The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 my corn refuses to go back in??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
princessbroxy Posted - 21/07/2010 : 03:45:18
why does my corn want out all the time?? it refused point blank to go back into its viv it would stay out all day if it got away with it i think its about 4 weeks old is this normal?

thanks x
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
princessbroxy Posted - 24/07/2010 : 14:05:44
aww my baby has calmed right down now he not trying to get out as much think its cos I'm not handling him as much
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 23:15:22
cool...but i never seen them sitting on the warm bit of the viv but that could be down to the temp in my lounge and there not much i can do about it as i live in a flat and its like a hot box lol so the only thing i can do is to keep and eye on the room temp ant turn the fan on when it gets to hot.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/07/2010 : 15:40:13
Yes, thats normal. Particularly if they've been in the cool end.
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 15:35:07
Makes sense..
Temperature seams to have leveled out now to room temp a surprisingly high 81F or 27C I think if we're keeping them in the lounge we need to fit a fan to the vivs more than a heat mat lol
When we handle them they feel cool to the touch is that normal??
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/07/2010 : 15:21:41
There the sexes.

the first number is male, 2nd is female and 3rd is unsexed.

So if you see somebody sig that says they have 2.3.1 corn snakes it means they have 2 males, 3 females and 1 unsexed.
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 15:19:14
The thermometer is a digital one from my fish tank and I pushed it into the substrate to get a reading from that. Yeh we're not feeding them this week 'cos one is shedding.
On another note what do the numbers next to your animals mean??
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/07/2010 : 15:03:51
So do you mean thermometer rather than thermostat? What type of thermometer is it and where is it placed? The best thing may be to just turn the heatmat off altogether untill you get a thermostat sorted. I know from another thread that your snakes are due to be fed today, if you turn the heatmat off (Which is the safest option) then you would be best not to feed your snakes also.
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 14:47:26
Not running a thermostat at the moment :-@ getting one soon as though. It was at 97.4F so about 36C not out of the ballpark but too hot.. it's down to 83.5F so not a problem now, for the moment all I can do is stick it on a timer (15min intervals) and see if that drops it to a better temp. What do you think??
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/07/2010 : 14:41:04
Have you adjusted your thermostat?

If so then it should cool down pretty quickly, how hot was it?
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 14:30:11
OMG OMG i just looked out my aquarium thermostat and its wayyyyy to high i have opened my windows and put the fan on is there anything else i can do to get them back down to temp please help soon cos im stressing out here

Thanks x
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 12:38:53
thank-you
Sta~ple Posted - 22/07/2010 : 12:13:07
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330446561809#ht_3237wt_946 good thermometer. I would advise not buying anything thing from China because customs are being very annoying lately and will charge you extra.

Pulse stats are very good. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HABISTAT-PULSE-PROPORTIONAL-600w-THERMOSTAT-/390218936706?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item5adadc7182#ht_1646wt_911
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 11:08:58
thanks i will get my hubby to buy it as soon as he comes home.
hillzi Posted - 22/07/2010 : 10:40:54
thermometer: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Large-LCD-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Sensor-Thermometer-/290450443846?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item43a0320e46

Matstat: Habistat or microclimate 100watt mat stat. around £23/30 depending on brand and p&p.
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 09:06:42
Been looking at the different thermostats and thermometers on eBay any suggestions as to the best one??
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 07:25:12
At the moment they have a shared hide as my one put his in the water bowl last night and ruined it lol but will sort that out on Friday. My nice has been using coconut for 5 years with no problem so that's why i use it I'm just using a small unregulated 7 watt mat underneath about one third of the tub again till Friday and i will be changing it I don't have a digital thermometer just yet do you recommend a digi thermostat or analog with digi thermometer separate? They may be older than 4 weeks the guy fed them 3 times and shed once before we got them.

Thanks for all your help x
Kellog Posted - 22/07/2010 : 06:14:52
quote:
Originally posted by princessbroxy

i just had a look at the other posts and i will be splitting them up at the weekend when i get another heat mat.

Thanks for the advice.

I am so pleased that you will be separating them, I always get very worried when I see corns living together, especially babies - it is a case of the sooner the better.

What sort of set-up do you have for them? I know you are using coconut substrate, which I dont have any experience of. Most of us use aspen or a hemp based substrate.

Are you using a heatmat with a stat to control the heat and do you have a digital thermometer to monitor the exact heat? Do you have a hides at each end of the tupperware box you have them in? Sorry if you know all this but it is just reassuring for us to check....otherwise we worry about your snakes !

Have a read of this thread, it is really good at showing you how to do a set up for a hatchling - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

4 weeks is definitely very young to have bought them, I am just glad that they have fed for you once so at least you know they are not problem feeders. I THINK you would not normally buy hatchlings that young....

They are stunning and it is lovely the way you can easily tell the difference. I cant wait to see more pics of them.

Why dont you head over to the Introductions section so we can all say hi to you officially ?!

xxx
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 01:15:49
The coconut they have just now after expanding it out it was cooked to dry it out again, nice and absorbent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Repstyle-Coconut-Fibre-Briquette-650g/dp/B003IX772A

and this is the 'lumpy' stuff lol

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/komodo-coconut-terrain-6ltr.html

They had Kitchen towel when we got them but it didn't last ten minutes.
crazy JJ Posted - 22/07/2010 : 00:25:16
they have nice markings nice lil snakies you have there..

erm lol im prob being reli blonde but erm whats the chunky stuff :/ if it helps thou i use kitchen towel 4 hatchies then aspen :D
princessbroxy Posted - 22/07/2010 : 00:11:28
yes it is it took nearly 2 days to dry so I'm thinking of using the chunky stuff from now on thought that might be a good idea especially when its shedding??

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000