The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Wierd lines?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 02/07/2010 : 19:34:30
Hi all,
I have noticed that my female corn snake has 3 sort of creases about 20cm away from her vent. I'm not sure if they are scars or not but when she is curled up they look like really deep creases and when she is stretched out they are like 3 indented lines, and the scales next to it are sort of raised, could this be from a previous operation? Plus, would it affect her having children? Or is it just her losing alot of weight? I don't know!! It doesn't hurt her at all, as she curls up just fine, and she has a lot of grip in all her body. ?? Confused!
Here are some pictures that I think will help,, Tahh!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 10/07/2010 : 21:10:40
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

My Romeo is 5.6ft and 907g , 3yrs old today

That really shows how different corns can be Hiper, considering the fact that Kellog is 2yrs older but 1ft shorter and about 100g lighter!

xxx

Yes they all grow at different rates but i think the more time they have out of viv for handling and excerise then they won't really get fat.
princess Posted - 10/07/2010 : 11:51:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

That really shows how different corns can be Hiper, considering the fact that Kellog is 2yrs older but 1ft shorter and about 100g lighter!

xxx

Yes like the vet said all cornsnakes grow at different rates. xxx

Kellog Posted - 09/07/2010 : 13:04:26
quote:

xxx

hiper2009 Posted - 09/07/2010 : 09:58:37
My Romeo is 5.6ft and 907g , 3yrs old today but is not over weight he was checked at the vets and they said hes in good shape, i feed him every 20 to 25 days on 1 or 2 jumbo mice. And gets alot of excerise out side of the viv.
AngelX Posted - 08/07/2010 : 20:56:37
Thanks kellog! Really helped me, Yes she still does have skin between the scales but I am working on it! xx
Kellog Posted - 06/07/2010 : 06:20:50
Just to put it in a bit of perspective Angel, Kellog was nearly at the 800g mark and is 4'6" long before he decided he was more interested in finding a female snake than eating!! But even at that weight he was toned and a good shape, with no skin showing between his scales....so it really is down to what sort of shape the snake is in.

It definitely isnt anything you have done but rather a problem that you have inherited from a previous owner. Kellog is now on a maintenance diet of a jumbo mouse every fortnight and he will stay on that for the rest of his life.

As for exercise....stairs are a great exercise tool but it will take her a while to get used to them, so dont expect too much too soon. Also any sort of obstacle courses using boxes, stools, any household objects....anything that will make her climb around and use energy. Letting her move around a lot 'free' on the ground when you handle her will help as well, allowing her to cover as much ground as possible. Just try and think of anything that can be used as a fitness regime!!

But I will repeat again....this is not something for you to feel guilty about - I am just glad that you got her when you did, that she is in a bigger viv and that she now has an owner who cares enough to realise there is a problem and deal with it!

xxx
AngelX Posted - 04/07/2010 : 15:49:03
Yes that is exactly what I see! At first I thought it was her not shedding properly so thank you very much! I will just have to persevere with her diet. Thanks everyone!
Sta~ple Posted - 03/07/2010 : 20:44:12
There's no need, I you'll know the ideal weight of your snake once she has lost some weight. Another way of telling is if she is stretched out straight as you can see white in-between the scales then she's porky so I would diet her until you can't see this any more.
AngelX Posted - 03/07/2010 : 20:18:20
Right, maybe I should take some more pics of her full body, seeing as I am no expert?
Sta~ple Posted - 03/07/2010 : 19:54:23
I wouldn't say so but maybe her natural build is skinner is she has tyres. I have a snake that's nearly 4ft who's around 300g and she looks fine yet other people can be the same weight as your's and show no fattness.
eeji Posted - 03/07/2010 : 19:25:12
if she's well built then thats ok. If you look at the shape of her body that will give more idea than a length:weight ratio
AngelX Posted - 03/07/2010 : 12:53:02
Is 708g massively overweight for a 4ft female snake?
Tahh x
eeji Posted - 03/07/2010 : 12:42:39
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Eeji, did he loose the tyres and the hips?

Luckily he didn't develop hips :) he's still a big fella, but the tyres are gone and he's got a nice healthy shape to him now so its proof a diet can be successful :)
AngelX Posted - 03/07/2010 : 10:39:54
Just weighed her! She is around 4ft and she weighs about 708g, is this massively overweight for a snake this big?
AngelX Posted - 03/07/2010 : 08:13:47
Thanks eeji! Might have a look at that guide just as a rough idea of what weight, because the ones I have look like adults but one of the smaller ones look like the smaller adults I bought for my boy, thanks everyone, today I'm going to hoover my stairs, and get her out side on a mini snake workout, xx
Sta~ple Posted - 03/07/2010 : 00:48:26
Eeji, did he loose the tyres and the hips?
eeji Posted - 02/07/2010 : 23:12:41
if you're feeding every week one medium mouse is enough for an adult, or one large every 2 weeks. I'd personally put her on a diet of one medium every two weeks until some of the excess weight comes off.

I had the same problem a good few years back when one of mine hit well over 900g at 4.5'-ish and he's now a much healthier 700g-ish
AngelX Posted - 02/07/2010 : 21:47:35
Ohh right,thanks!! My younger boy is on once a week and she was too with her previous owner, maybe thats why she is overweight!? She refused her meal last week so I will feed her again on Sunday, I will be careful on the stairs, will probably hoover tomorrow just in case. Seeing as the weather has been so nice lately, I have just set up a metal run that I used to have for my rabbits, I have just spent the last 20 minutes setting it up and disinfecting it, Just so she can get more exercise, is that a good idea? Tahh xx
Sta~ple Posted - 02/07/2010 : 21:25:40
1 adult mouse every 2 is what she should be fed... maybe make it 3 until she is normal weight.

Don't be upset, my man has way more tyres! He is very active as well, always up and out and peeking, day and night. Handeling her more and making her clibe will help.

Be careful with her on the stairs, mine doenst like it and he sneezes a lot if there is any animal hair on the stairs.
AngelX Posted - 02/07/2010 : 21:25:16
Any other tips to help her lose weight? Tahh x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000