The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Corn Snake acting a bit odd

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/06/2010 : 09:30:59
Hey all!

Thanks to all who gave me advice on my other thread about moving a corn snake when moving house. Everything went well and she's eating normally and stuff again. Just one thing i'm concerned with...

We have like sand (not exactly sand, more like wood chippings - dunno what they are called) as her bedding/bottom of tank area (as the store advised). This was all fine for 7 months since we got her, but now she's started going under it all day and she looks really depressed. I know, that sounds totally crazy saying a snake is depressed, but i notice a change in her behaviour. She's a little jumpy and spends all day under the sand/wood chippings in her tank. I'm worried about her because it took me ages to get her 'tame' and to feel comfortable around humans. I dunno if it's the heat that's doing this (natural heat), but her tank is the right temp and the heat pad is fine so i dunno what's wrong with my poor baby. The only thing i can think of is she's a bit grey so i'm guessing she'll be shedding her skin soon. But, even still, she's never been depressed like this before and acting all odd while shedding.

I'm really attached to this snake, she's part of the family now and i don't wanna see my girl go down hill. Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 16:11:02
lol Well, she has feelings...she told me ;) haha

On a serious note, her tank is around that temp, give or take 1. But it was also really hot in the room too. I dunno, i guess it probably was the shedding, you guys are right. It's just the first time she's acted a bit funny. Her other sheds were fine. I think this is one of those experiences i'll go away and learn from. Well, she's alright and back to her usual self...trashing her viv lol

Thanks again all for the help, really do appreciate it :D
mikerichards Posted - 01/07/2010 : 16:06:48
Its almost certainly the fact she was shedding, not the heat, corn come from areas in which the tempertures far exceed anything we are likely to get here, and as long as the mat is statted, the temps won't get that high anyway.
The reason 28 degrees is suggested as a temp is because it is about the average a corn would encounter through the year, temps are going to vary from less than 20 degrees up to mid 40's in some areas, hotter if you take into account direct sunlight. So I can assure you that you girl was not concerned about the heat.
She won't get depressed about anything either, she may well feel like crap, but that could be any number of reasons, nothing to do with feelings.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2010 : 15:56:17
Hey both thanks for the replies! :D

@ Mouse: She has two hides, one big one and another smaller one at the other side of the viv (one in the hot side and one in the cool) with her water in the middle.

@ Kellog: I think you're right about the heat, poor little mite she was too hot. I turned the heat pad off for a while and she's settled straight away. I think the heat pad plus the heat (here on the east coast) was too much for her. I feel really bad now :( I should read more into the correct heat for them at different times..i'm so stupid >.< At least she's alright now though and she's just shed an almost perfect single skin (tiny bit left on the tail). I'm so proud of her cos she's always had problems getting it off on her own (even before we bought her, apparently)..so i'm well chuffed for her :D

I'm considering getting her a bigger viv. Her's isn't that big, but i've been told they don't like too much space....guess i'll have to do more research into that.

Thanks both <3

EDIT: I'll take some pics of her soon and upload for ya to have a nosey. She's beautiful =D
Kellog Posted - 29/06/2010 : 04:54:02
It could easily be a mixture of things that are affecting her at the moment Davey.... the chance that she may still be slightly unsettled by the move (even though she is eating normally), the heat at the moment (which could be a reason why she is spending so much time burrowing under the woodchips, trying to get cool) and her getting ready to shed.

You say that her temps are right....just to make sure, what are they? Is she drinking and pooing ok? Is she due a shed?

I totally understand about her being part of your family and you want to find out what is going on. I am no expert and wish I could help more, but maybe just wait and see how she goes for the next few days....whether she sheds ok (it may be worthwhile adding some humidity to her viv cos of the heat) and continues to feed ok.

Please keep us updated.

xxx
Mouse Posted - 28/06/2010 : 23:16:17
It's most likely that she's shedding.

Wht you're describing sounds like wood chips. I've used them with my snake for 3 years, and no probs.

A lot of people use aspen shavings. They work better for snakes that like to burrow. Maybe she just likes being under the substrate!

I'm sure she'll be fine!

As an aside, you prolly put this in the other thread, but how many hides does she have, and where are they?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000