The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 How often should she be a-munching?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/06/2010 : 18:43:52
Hi there

How often should our 3yr old corn snake be munching on a medium/large mouse?

Is every 2 weeks OK?

I thank you kindly
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 01/07/2010 : 16:15:17
The whole rat thing has been blown out of all proprtion, they are fine to feed all the time, just not at the same interval as mice. Rats have more fat yes, but they also have vastly more protein, calcium and everything else.
Saying rats are bad to feed is wrong, completely. If that was the case then no snake would eat rats as a staple diet.
Kellog Posted - 28/06/2010 : 05:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by leosnakeboy

Hi there

How often should our 3yr old corn snake be munching on a medium/large mouse?

Is every 2 weeks OK?

I thank you kindly

Just out of interest, how much does your snake weigh and is there a bump after it has been fed?

I know you have tried braining but this is a good thread to look at for other advice if your snake is not feeding very well - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

xxx
crazysnakeman Posted - 28/06/2010 : 00:57:38
agreed, rats are alot more fatty then mice! definately dont let it get fat deposits or obese!! I should have said that actually.. handling and excercise can combat that, but definately mice as a staple, occasional rats, and avoid chicks at all cost.
Josh
Scarlett Posted - 28/06/2010 : 00:25:48
I agree with Crazysnake man, no need to worry just yet. Although I've heard that you shouldn't feed a corn too many rats as they're fatty, which the corn doesn't need as it's a slime line snake. So the more you can feed it mice, the better =]
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 15:42:33
That's all such great advice. THANK YOU!
crazysnakeman Posted - 25/06/2010 : 14:05:40
My corn is 4,and has just started eating after nearly 4 months without food! generally I'd say a month per foot of snake without feeding, and you have no worries, aslong as they don't loose weight! they have been known to go alot longer then 4 months though!

10 days or 14 days is nothing to worry about at all, promise! however, my corn only likes mice from a specific breeder, she eats ANY rat, but is fussy on mice.. I have about 50 mice for her she doesnt like, some times i only offer her the mice, and shel take it every few weeks.. It may be your corn doesnt find mice palatable? try getting them from a different shop or the internet and see if it makes a difference.

My corn eats the largest mice i can get 1 every week, or a similar sized rat every other week. but like i said, start worrying in 4 months time if it hasnt eaten at all, try a few different sources of mice if you do get worried, or try a rat! corns LOVE chicks, but I'd stay well away, chicks have very little nutrition in them, and can sometimes become fussy and refuse rodents completely and only take chicks, resulting in a worse problem then intermittent feeding! but there you go..

If it refuses food completely for weeks on end, I would worry too, but only being hungry every 2 weeks is fine, but if you can get it onto rats (most will just take them and not notice the difference!) then a good sized rat every two weeks should be spot on!

so yeh.. a rat every two weeks, or a mouse every week for me, try different rodent sources, but I wouldn't be worried ;) goodluck!

Josh
KITTYCAT Posted - 25/06/2010 : 09:22:34
has she always been like that or has this just happend recently.my 2n half yr snow corn is only eating every 4 weeks at the moment and has been for the last 3 months
n/a Posted - 25/06/2010 : 08:30:37
OK, then should I be worried that she hasn't eaten for 10 days...and went 14 days before that? She's just not interested when I give her a mouse (even tried braining I hope she's OK.
luke1989 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 19:01:56
i do it every one week or some time 10 days.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000