The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Breathing ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hiper2009 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 14:27:20
Hi My near enough 5ft Snow corn has some deep breathing going on when i was handling him he kept doing it is this a sign of R.I ? If it is should i do this put small amount of inhalant like baby vic in warm water to a jam jar with a pierced lid out of reach to the snake in the viv or outside the viv near the vent. And that should help fight off R.I right ?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 06/07/2010 : 06:23:07
How is Romeo doing Hiper? Any improvement? He must be due to go back to the vets for his check-up any day now....

xxx
mikerichards Posted - 02/07/2010 : 17:03:05
Just be careful, it doesn't take long to happen if it does.
hiper2009 Posted - 30/06/2010 : 21:29:37
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I wouldn't switch vets. The only reason I don't use a dedicated herp vet is because I know shaun and I know he's honest enough to tell me if he's not comfortable with something, and I know that he has enough passion to actually learn about something he is comfortable with. I have been taking all my animals to him for 6 years now, maybe longer, he's never let me down, he's also helped us out on occasion, even though it ended up costing 500 quid, am still paying it off!!!
Its worth finding out what he used, batril can cause the skin to slough on reptiles, not normal slough, I mean the actual tissue, so its worth being very careful.
There is documented records of this happening, I don't know where, but there is.
Also a friend of mine had a boa who sloughed his skin when picked up, he was put down as the tissue damage was severe, it turned out he was on batril too.

Oh you mean baytril lol yes thats what he got but he gave Romeo another appointment for 7 - 9days for a checkup to make sure he is ok from the jab.

Edited: Spelling
Sta~ple Posted - 30/06/2010 : 18:47:40
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Yes Loughbrough do you go there too i dont know how much the fee was all i know at the end of it cost me £131 inc treatment though.

Never been, never been to a vet for my snakes. I asked my furry vet and they told me to ask the reptile shop in town if my snake gets any health problems :/ kinda hoping that pets at home get a reptile vet in store near me so I don't have to go to Loughbrough or York.

Mike you very lucky to have a normal vet that will even see your snakes! I wish I had one like that around here.

Edit: Yes rats are generally better in all the good stuff but a corn doesn't need all that extra and will just pass the extra proteins and vitamins but it will keep the fat >.< plus it's kinda harder to figure out what rat size to feed and how often with corns.
mikerichards Posted - 30/06/2010 : 17:49:43
I wouldn't switch vets. The only reason I don't use a dedicated herp vet is because I know shaun and I know he's honest enough to tell me if he's not comfortable with something, and I know that he has enough passion to actually learn about something he is comfortable with. I have been taking all my animals to him for 6 years now, maybe longer, he's never let me down, he's also helped us out on occasion, even though it ended up costing 500 quid, am still paying it off!!!
Its worth finding out what he used, batril can cause the skin to slough on reptiles, not normal slough, I mean the actual tissue, so its worth being very careful.
There is documented records of this happening, I don't know where, but there is.
Also a friend of mine had a boa who sloughed his skin when picked up, he was put down as the tissue damage was severe, it turned out he was on batril too.
hiper2009 Posted - 30/06/2010 : 13:09:36
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Thinking about it, did he give you bateril or whatever is its spelt?

Hi Mike , I don't know he just said im going to inject your snake with some antibiotics just to clear anything up if he has anything just to be on the safe side but he did open romeo's mouth to see if there was anything like bubbling or foamy stuff in there but it was clear , i don't really know much about the medicine stuff sorry.

Also sorry to hear about your snakey that died but £8 for a course of 2 weeks of jabs is cheap , should i switch vets and go to a normal vet instead of a herp vet ?. Also the herp vet said Rats are better food source then mice as i was asking him on his opinion as i told him i feed romeo on rats some times and i thought i was going to get a earache of the debate of mice and rats for cornsnakes but it turns out rats have more protein and callicum and other stuff that cornsnakes benifit from.

Edited: Spelling Mistakes.
mikerichards Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:38:43
Thinking about it, did he give you bateril or whatever is its spelt?
mikerichards Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:37:55
I know the pain of rep vets, which is why ias long as its not something totally random I take my beasts to my normal vet, he knows little about snakes, but doesn't treat until he has read up on it, usually I ring him and tell him what's going on. When skinny boy had the infection, kate did the analysis on him, discovered what he had, and our vet gave us 2 weeks worth of jabs for him, total cost, 8 quid. I know he died, but that's down to him being too skinny, not because of the infection, that was clearing!
Am glad everything is ok though, you can't beat peace of mind.
hiper2009 Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:06:37
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

That is such good news Ash....I am so relieved to read your post, and I can just imagine how relieved you were when you heard what he said....and how proud you were when the vet said that Romeo is in fantasic shape and condition and looking well .

I know it has cost you but I also know you dont really care....all that matters is that Romeo is ok and it is definitely better to be safe than sorry with the vet giving him the antibiotic jab and the advice (which echoes Mike's advice ) about upping the temp for a few days....I am sure it will have stopped you worrying.

Romeo is lucky to have you as an owner !

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

how did it go? is he ok?

ReptileDanny - how could you have missed Hiper's bright red update on Romeo's visit to the vet ??!!

xxx

Hi Judith , Yes it was a relif when the vet said hes in good shape a big boy for a the age of 3 but he said all snakes grow at different rates so you know And yes im not one to care how much the vet charges i just hand over the debit card and let the bank do the work haha As long as my babys are being checked up & treated i don't mind at all.
Kellog Posted - 29/06/2010 : 05:04:10
That is such good news Ash....I am so relieved to read your post, and I can just imagine how relieved you were when you heard what he said....and how proud you were when the vet said that Romeo is in fantasic shape and condition and looking well .

I know it has cost you but I also know you dont really care....all that matters is that Romeo is ok and it is definitely better to be safe than sorry with the vet giving him the antibiotic jab and the advice (which echoes Mike's advice ) about upping the temp for a few days....I am sure it will have stopped you worrying.

Romeo is lucky to have you as an owner !

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

how did it go? is he ok?

ReptileDanny - how could you have missed Hiper's bright red update on Romeo's visit to the vet ??!!

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 21:05:23
Yes Loughbrough do you go there too i dont know how much the fee was all i know at the end of it cost me £131 inc treatment though.
Sta~ple Posted - 28/06/2010 : 20:42:52
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

That's great news!

Yes it is but the herp vets are soo expensive haha £131 for a 30min job , but its worth it in the end as i don't want to loose Romeo.

Is that the one in Loughborough? Leicester or where ever? What was the consultation fee?

I really do hope that pets at home get rep vets everywhere :/
reptiledanny Posted - 28/06/2010 : 20:35:46
thank god, i was worying all night hoping it wasn't a ri
bet that was a huge wad form your pocket
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 20:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

That's great news!

Yes it is but the herp vets are soo expensive haha £131 for a 30min job , but its worth it in the end as i don't want to loose Romeo.
Sta~ple Posted - 28/06/2010 : 17:24:35
That's great news!
reptiledanny Posted - 28/06/2010 : 17:03:16
how did it go? is he ok?
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 11:38:06
Hey everyone i took Romeo to the vets today and the vet had a look at him he opened his mouth and said there's no bubbling or anything thats showing bad signs in his mouth , but he put Romeo on some antibiotics , i told him that he breaths like weezing when handling but is fine when hes in his viv or on the floor and the vet said it could be just him sneezing and he said some cornsnakes breath heavy when being handled but he said just to be on the safe side he will give Romeo some antibiotics. And he told me to raise the temps up to about 30*C for a few days and the antibiotics will kick in after a couple days, apart from that he said Romeo is in fantasic shape and condition and is looking well.
mikerichards Posted - 28/06/2010 : 09:21:59
A surprising number of corns and other ratsnakes do wheeze and sometimes 'sneeze', some of mine do it, its normal from what i have been told!
If you are worried about an RI, turn the heat up to about 30, that generally kills off the ri. I think you will be fine though.
Typical symptoms are gaping, foaming, really loud raspy breathing, and being grumpy. They can and do blow bubbles too.
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 09:17:47
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Oh Hiper, have been off the forum for a while so have only just caught up with this. I am so sorry to hear that Romeo is not well....and I know how hard you have been working to tame him down again after he went a bit wild.

Does he only do it when you handle him? Have you seen/heard him do it when he is in his viv or on the floor? Just thinking that these might be questions that the vet might ask.

I am sure you will let us know how you get on at the vets and I will be thinking of you at 10.15am today.

xxx

Thanks Judith , I will keep every one updated on how it goes im heading off to the herp vet now . XXX
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 09:09:40
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

his tame-ness shouldnt be affected by the vet.

:)

Hope all goes well.

It's not that im worried about , it's because he went abit wild and lost his tameness and i did'nt think i was going to get him back to normal but i have managed to get him tame from handling him two times a day and now that has put my mind at rest , then hearing him breath like really weird has worried me again.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000