The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Viv Temp and general performance

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reggie_69 Posted - 22/06/2010 : 15:56:27
Hey guys, im a new member and have two lovely corn snakes, one annery and one normal!

i got them yesterday 21/06/10 with a large plastic viv which isnt too big for the pair and it has hides and everything needed.

i bought a heat mat that sits under a third of the tank, the tank has alot of vents as its a plastic one and the temperature is just above 80`C at the hot end and just above 70`C at the lower end.

One is a Male (normal) and the female is the Annery, they came from a family member who has been dealing with snakes for ever, unfortunetly i cant get hold of him due to him being on holiday.

anyway my male has had his usual shed overnight (maked in his book),
and today they both seems to be very shy, yesterday when i got them they were pretty active and seemed very happy! but today they are both hiding one in the middle and one at the cool end, and after trying to see how they are,they just want to stay where they are.

this is my first snake as ive only ever had beardies and water dragons before, am i being over paraniod about the temperature being too low?
and is there behaviour normal?? im aware it must have been a shock to them yesterday a new viv and environment.

any suggestions will be great!! even for piece of mind!
thanks guys forums is awesome
Aaron
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reggie_69 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 21:45:02
haha well not even a murse haha, as i work in a nursery with toddlers and pre school! haha

and hopefully not another week!! feed day saturday!!!

and just uploading some pictures now!!

Sta~ple Posted - 24/06/2010 : 21:27:09
Oh your not a nurse then, your a murse :p

You shouldn't need another week as they should be kind of used to your smell by then I would have thought.
reggie_69 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 21:01:44
hey sorry its taken me so long and thanks again on some awesome advice, sta~ple will get that thermometer from the link just gotta sort out the ebay thing,
and kellog you are another legend! yeah im seperating very soon (weekend), does this mean another week hands off is needed, they are due a feed on the 26th? i know you say there hardy! im paraniod haha,
they seem to be doing fine (the hands off period is a biatch), pictures are comein ive took some pictures into the nursery where i work (yes im male and no im not gay, im making a group or forum, ive been called it twice today already and one was a mother lol)
and Sketch is now my annerys name, named by phoebe! whoop whoop i loved the name haha,
and as for my normal ive had bogey, poo and sid! which are off the table lol,
and serious suggestions have been toffee, tomo and jared! so we will see.

can i add thanks again to you guys/girls you have been a great help!! (had to put girls in as i now found out your a woman lol, but thank you!!! means alot! and i cant help but go through the forum and look at all the great corns out there (and the new baby!!!!) and oh my god i wish i was closer to swansea those hatchlings are lush!! anyway burbling! cheers again :D
Sta~ple Posted - 24/06/2010 : 11:56:55
On Kellogs mention of digital thermometers, these are brilliant thermometer if you have an ebay account, they do the same job as any ones labelled for reptiles and they are cheaper ^^ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ330443823559QQihZ014QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7594901461004140808#ht_3237wt_946

Good luck with naming your male, I had to get my mum to name both my normals!

Kellog Posted - 24/06/2010 : 05:48:02
Have replied to most of this on the other thread you commented on Reggie, so apologies for repeating information that Sta~ple has done such an amazing job giving you.

As I have said in my other comment, you really do need to get a digital thermometer as the dial and stick on ones are useless. They are a vital piece of equipment so that you can always be sure of what the temp in your vivs are....stats have been known to malfunction and often need tweaking to get the temp you want, as shown by the digital thermometer.

I am not surprised you only got to page 5 of the thread on co-habiting, it is a long one and shows how heated and emotional the topic is. But listen to Mike, he is a very experienced breeder and knows what he is talking about - if he says separate them as soon as possible, then do it!

Sta~ple's accident may have been a great surprise and turned out well, but it could also have turned out very differently....which is why she no longer keeps her corns together. And the difference she has found with the female's change in behaviour has shown how necessary it was. Unfortunately people look at corns that are in together all cuddled up and think that it is cute....when really they are actually competing for the best spot in the viv. In the wild corns only come together to mate and we shouldnt force them to do something in captivity they wouldnt do naturally, especially when it can have such disastrous consequences with young corns like yours. Sorry....didnt mean to go on, but it is a subject that gets people emotional and it is purely because we care about your corns and we can tell you do, and that you want what is best for them. You just need to learn what that is, fast....and do it, fast!

As Sta~ple has said, you only need the one water dish in the cool end....then you can add an extra water dish in the warm end if your snake needs help shedding, but by the sounds of it that wont be necessary (I still cant believe you have seen your male shed already!).

Again, apologies for repeating info in the 2 different threads....and I cant wait to see pics of your 2 beauties. This 'hands off' time is so frustrating but also so necessary....whatever is best for your snakes .

xxx
reggie_69 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 00:10:55
haha dude i have to apologies! i was totally spazzed out then,
start again,
stat,yes
heat mat on the floor, yes
thermometer, yes!
haha ill get there in the end! and temp is fine now lol,

and accident sounds like a big suprise lol,

sketch is a great name i think thats going to be for my anery! just the male now haha,
and thanks again even though i confused you haha!
Sta~ple Posted - 23/06/2010 : 20:02:19
You don't need the polystyrene unless your really having trouble with the temps. :p What do you men by the stat not being digital? Do you mean the thermometer or an actual mat stat? Sorry if I'm confusing you!

The breeding was accidental, :p a nice surprise but a surprise I don't want again lol

That's what were all here for ^^
reggie_69 Posted - 23/06/2010 : 17:12:46
i love this forum!!!!!!!

thats opretty much all i have to say!! lol,
i have the stat! its not digital though lol, as they were out (crappy pets at home) i have the same heat mat, same viv and all the hides and bowls lol, im missing the polystirene so im doing that now lol,
that should help!

i cant wait to get mine out and start interacting with them!

so you put yours together for breeding then im guessing?
and i will post some photos soon!

and yeah the water dragons were my mums anyway we rescued them from a shop that was miss treating them in whitminster! as my friend couldnt take them due to space, and they were awesome but yeah bit demanding but loyal enough and had great characters! :'( cant help but too miss them!

so yeah sta~ple thank you once again you are the legend!!! youve been a great help!

Sta~ple Posted - 23/06/2010 : 16:41:04
Ohh well done for having a stat! You would be surprised how many people don't have one! Is that mat on the wall? Or is that just the stat on the wall? Th change in temp will be because of the stat, all stat's do this and unless it changes by a drastic amount then it's fine :) Sketch is a very nice name ^^

If your ever confused about set-up, this topic is amazing for showing a good way of setting up a viv.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

You may want to only put a water bowel in the hot end for when they come up to shed and if they have problems shedding. It always being on the hot end could make it very humid in there which they don't really need.

All but 3 of mine are active at night and sleep in the day but the other one is awake and looking at me whenever I am awake! He's such a nosey snake!

I have 4 corns, 1 adult anery who's female, 1 adult carolina/normal male, 1 hatchie anery which I don't know it's gender yet and 1 hatchie normal who's also gender I don't know lol and the 2 babies came from my adults :)

Seriously though, if you have Chinese water dragon you will be fine with corns as I have heard water dragons are quite demanding!
reggie_69 Posted - 23/06/2010 : 16:23:35
haha i havent named mine yet! as i work in a nursery my kids are gunna name them for me!
lol as i said the male has shed so i have took it in too show them with pictures and the names are flying in lol,
but atm i think the anery will be called sketch lol, she is the female and she seems very inquistitive and like to tongue and lick me when i held her the first day!

but yeah what characters lol, heating with a heat mat! have a stat! on the inside wall! about 81-82 at the hot end! and about 70-72 at the cool end, hides at each end and middle plus a small water dish at one end and a small dish in the middle/hot end!

there very quite in the day! and seem to want attention in the evening! havent got them out yet but they seem to sit and watch!and have a gander around at night!

the heat mat was from pets at home its a pro rep product one a 7 watt one! 6"x11" i think i may need a larger one as im using the large flat plastic viv.

and haah rattle his tail thats amazing lol, how many do you own? and what types are they?
Sta~ple Posted - 23/06/2010 : 16:01:10
I didn't use them, I wish I did as they look nicer and you don't have to put holes in. I use food containers that I added lots of air holes to, they are about 10inches x 10 inches and I figure they will last until they are about 1 year old and they were only about £2 each.

With the temperature, how are you heating? Do you have a stat?

It's nice hat they are settling in well :) My Carolina used to rattle his tail at me in the first week I got him, now he's such a softie!
reggie_69 Posted - 23/06/2010 : 15:30:56
thats great guys thank you!!
sta~ple yeah i got a large flat plastic terrarium like the one in your pictures!
so maybe another large flat with do for now! as they are both really big!! so suprised i just popped round to se my friends corns (a snow and a normal) and there about the same age mine are probably about 2 weeks older and are a good couple of inches bigger lol, there tiny!! and his are in the same (two large flat terrariums).
did you use these? as it seems to be hard to keep the temperature at about 83`f because of the many vents but it never gets any lower than about 81`f.

they are both fantastic snakes and although im leaving them for 5 more days to settle in they still come out to nosey when i change there water! expecially the female (anery) they have been handled so just getting used to me know!

as for the boa kehhlyr my friend has some female sunset boas, gorgeous already got tagged by one, but i think ill save abit first as i know how expensive vivs can be and my main focus are my cornys. but thanks when i get one! WHEN lol, ill going the site as this one has been so helpful!
Sta~ple Posted - 23/06/2010 : 15:03:56
If they are only about 6 months old then they don't need a proper wooden or glass viv yet :) I house my 4/5 month ones in a plastic tub.

A lot of people use these http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/ that you can buy online or from staples or something but you have to put your own air holes in.

You said you had a plastic tank, I'm guessing you mean ones likes this? http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productsubcategories.php?SubCategoryID=207

This place is quite good as well http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-housing-452/reptile-boxes-576.html failing that, ebay might be quite good.
Kehhlyr Posted - 23/06/2010 : 15:03:22
Asking on this forum how long to wait is easier to let us know when you next get paid, because that would be the answer from most of us.

However sensible answers will say something similar to do a lot of research, and make you know that some species of boa will get bigger than others, plus females tend to be a bit larger.
Some people prepare themselves quite quickly, I got my first Boa last year after keeping reps on and off since I was about 7, yet am already planning the next one.
Boas are brilliant snakes, incredibly intelligent.
If you want a bit more specific info on boas then our sister site www.therainbowboa.co.uk can also answer specifics a bit better as well.
The boa owners I can think of on here are, Myself, Mikerichards, Dannybrown and Lee2308.
Whereas everyone on the rainbowboa has a boa of some kind.
reggie_69 Posted - 23/06/2010 : 12:38:21
ok i think out of everything i read and have seen i will seperate them and when reach maturaty see if they want to breed!

that sounds like the safest option!

thanks guys!!

and mikerichards how long should i wait before getting a boa a year? or two?

atleast i can get some experience from these cornys, there lovely.
and the annery is female and the normal is a male!

ok anyone know of any good sites to buy vivs? fast?
and thanks again guys! the advice is great!!
mikerichards Posted - 23/06/2010 : 06:36:01
Hi, do you know the sexes of the snakes? At the moment its a bit irrelevant anyway as they are physically too immature to even think about breeding, however, young corns shouldn't be co habitted for a number of reasons, mainly because they have a habit of being cannibalistic at younger ages, so one could try and eat the other, that would result in the death of both snakes. Co habitting older same sex isn't so bad, but its not encouraged, younger ones is a deffo no no.
You won't be able to control their sex life, its a non starter, the males are real sex pests and won't stop till he has his end away! This could be day and night, and it happens very quickly, once started, you cannot, and must not separate them physically, you will damage them both.
I have co habitted snakes before, I made a mistake with one, i got her sexed as a female, turns out she was a he, with some possible damage from probing.
She lived with one of my boys who is a renouned rapist, she was 2.5 years old, but small.
I was lucky, having eggs didn't kill her, but it can, and does.
The advice you get here is for your snakes, not for your benefit mostly, so its worth taking into account. Some people co habit, but only those who either don't care or don't understand co habit opposite sex.

Sunset boas are very nice, I have a few boas myself, not going the sunset route though, although I have a hogg island boa. Sunsets are super hypo hoggs.
Sta~ple Posted - 22/06/2010 : 22:39:08
Yeh, that topic is a bit scary, sorry about that! It scared me a bit when I first read it.

I have never heard of them eating each other while in mating season. Females can be egg bound can happen to the most healthiest of corns being bread by the most experienced breeders, its just more likely to happen to smaller, younger corns. I have also read that it can stunt the females growth if she breeds to early but I don't know if this is true.

I have all my snakes separated, my two young as I don't trust one of them not to each the other and my 2 adults as I have no room to fit a viv that would house two adults. He also had a habit on sitting ontop of her when competing for the best spot in the viv.

I had my adults from when they were each one years old although they were all co-habiting in the petshop. I then cohabited them both together for about 6 years before I spilt them up when I realised that the female wasn't actually happy sharing the viv with the male.

You could always partition the viv in half somehow.
reggie_69 Posted - 22/06/2010 : 21:12:32
ok so after reading 5 of the 12 pages, it seems really mixed and the photos didnt sound good!

so after they reach the mature sexual age would they still be able to breed without of course the death of one of my snakes lol,
you seperated yours?? did you have them from hatchlings?
the viv is quite a big one and i have a bigger one already for when they grow older! im so confused! lol, i dont know what to choose!

the breeding rule for the female is excellent thank you for that one!!!

and as for the boa!! OMG yes thats what i want to get, my friend (who i got these two off) has sunset boas!!! they are really gorgeous!

thats the main aim i would like to wait at least a year and a half i think before getting a boa, then my corns will be abit maturer and ill be more experienced!

thanks again!
now to make the decision!
Sta~ple Posted - 22/06/2010 : 20:31:21
That's good then :p there are so many people it seems that brred snakes as they think they will get loads of money and it really doesn't happen lol!

I would seperate them asap specially with how young they are. There have been many deaths of young female corns as they are not the right size and weight for breeding. The males sexually mauture faster than the females and can have a habit of pestering and raping. It's impossible to control how they breed, they will breed at any time without hibination.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070 this topic has more on co-habiting. I don't personally mind as long as it's a big viv, snakes are the same size and sex but everyone has there own opionions.

The general rule for breeding for females is no less than 3ft, 3 years old and 300g. I am sure there are expections to this rule but this is generally the safest. I'd personally keep them apart and only co-habit them when you want to breed.

They are amazing though :p I'd like a boa some day as well I just have no room at the moment sadly.
reggie_69 Posted - 22/06/2010 : 18:54:27
haha sorry im not in it for the money anyway!
i think they are comeing up too about six months, the record my breeder started was when they were about three months old as the prevoius owner was moving, so about six months.
the annery female looks abit like a boa to me haha! but they both are gorgeous been thinkng and planning on getting one for years as i would like to develop to boas but start with a corn as they are easier!
and dont worry im aware of there life spam and am fully comitted with the years! I love animals ,i think that helps lol,
would you suggest to keep them co habited and then split?
or try and control breeding?
to be honest i cant believe i have them they really are amazing! hense me being a tad paraniod! and this site is out of this world amazing!
people seem really friendly and helpful, i love it!
cheers

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000