The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
flyinglime Posted - 08/06/2010 : 23:21:22
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and wasn't quite sure how to go about asking questions, and there didn't seem to be a topic related to my problem.

I have had my cornsnake now for 7 years, making her about 9. She's never had any problems that I have been aware of, but recently I have noticed that when she's been shedding she seems to be having more difficulty. I have in the past bathed her to remove skin, but what is worrying me now is that on the underside towards her head, parts of her scales seem to be missing, leaving a sort of raggedy edge (does that make sense?). I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice because she's a very sweet little thing and I don't want her to be unwell.

Thank you :)
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 29/06/2010 : 04:56:11
quote:
Originally posted by flyinglime

An update!

Mutley shed her skin at the weekend, and she's all glossy now with no tatty edges, so that's good news, and obviously the man was right :)

Fantastic news and thanks so much for letting us know. It is interesting that she just need time to adjust to her new bedding and that it had such an effect on her shedding to begin with.

Do we get to see pics of her looking all glossy and new ??!

xxx
flyinglime Posted - 28/06/2010 : 23:10:41
An update!

Mutley shed her skin at the weekend, and she's all glossy now with no tatty edges, so that's good news, and obviously the man was right :)
Kellog Posted - 16/06/2010 : 06:34:54
quote:
Originally posted by flyinglime

Thank you all, an update is due!
........he said it's likely a reaction to a change in bedding - I have recently switched from wood shavings to aspen.......I was told to keep an eye out, but that it'll probably be fine after her next shed. I hope he is right........

That is really good news and also interesting. I have noticed that since I changed Kellog from wood shavings to hemp he has a type of jerking reaction immediately after each shed (he has had 2 sheds on the new substrate) and I did wonder if it was his 'new' skin reacting to the substrate.....going by what you have been told then I guess I could be right.

I do hope he is right as far as your corn is concerned....but I guess you will just have to wait and see with the next few sheds....and it may take more than one shed before it is sorted properly.

Do let us know how she is doing.

xxx
Mouse Posted - 14/06/2010 : 08:46:19
Interesting, never heard of that before! :D hope she gets better though!
flyinglime Posted - 12/06/2010 : 23:48:12
Thank you all, an update is due!
I had to go and buy a few general corn snake things today, and near where I live at home (rather than during the week - student life is complicated) there is a small pet centre that has a (relatively) large reptile section. I asked their reptiles expert, and showed the above photo, and he said it's likely a reaction to a change in bedding - I have recently switched from wood shavings to aspen. (Similar to when we buy new clothes and they sort of itch before they've been washed!) I am planning on doing a proper clean soon anyway, (especially as I now have more stuff...) so that might help. I was told to keep an eye out, but that it'll probably be fine after her next shed. I hope he is right.

Just thought I'd put that on here in case anyone had a similar problem :)

Also, they have the most beautiful pythons, but I'm not allowed one...

yet...
Kellog Posted - 12/06/2010 : 05:29:53
Poor thing. I know you felt mean taking the pic, but it was necessary for those who are experienced with this sort of thing to get a look at what is going on and give you the necessary advice. I have tried to look at your pic but unfortunately my comp is not downloading it for some reason.

I have just had a bad shed with Silvesta that has meant that a new scale has been torn on the top of his head. Obviously nothing as serious as with your snake....but I immediately cleaned out his viv, disinfected it, put down kitchen roll instead of substrate and as little as I could back into the viv....just his 2 hides, water bowl and some plants. This is necessary to avoid any type of infection. I know that I need to look out for any swelling or redness or weeping from the area....but luckily there has been nothing so far.

Corns are amazingly hardy and what will probably happen is that Silvesta, and your corn, will shed again very soon as that is the way that they heal any injury....we just need to make sure that it doesnt get infected before that happens.

I am NO EXPERT though and hopefully someone who does know what they are talking about will be along soon to give you some proper advice.

xxx
flyinglime Posted - 10/06/2010 : 00:53:19
Nothing that's changed in the last few years! But I shall have a check....Thank you :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 13:57:38
Does she have a branch that could have a sharp point or maybe a hanging plant from a garden centre as these often have wire in which can become exposed.

Like Hannah and herriotfan i would have thought it has been caused by something as she has been moving around the viv.
herriotfan Posted - 09/06/2010 : 11:40:33
Oh bless her. She's a pretty girl. Like Hannah said anything she could rub past that might be causing this. Maybe one of her hides has a rough edge or something like that. I hope you soon find the cause. It's very worrying when things aren't quite right.
HannahB Posted - 09/06/2010 : 11:33:05
i think its from her maybe catching herself on something in her viv,is there anything in her viv she could be catching herself on?
lovely snake though
flyinglime Posted - 09/06/2010 : 10:55:44

The photo's massive so here's a link to it: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9639/dsc0001rr.jpg

She did not enjoy me trying to take that photo, I felt very mean :(
Mouse Posted - 09/06/2010 : 08:38:07
You've posted in the right section, so no worries. (for future ref, if you accidentally post in the wrong section, one of the mods will move it to the correct section, so don't fret!)

Is there any chance you can post some photo's up here, as it's hard to tell what could be wrong without seeing it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000