The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Classifieds
 Reptiles & Exotics for sale/re-homing
 wanted: huge male grey rat snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
heatseeker872591 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 20:20:50
i once had a huge 6 foot plus nearly 2kg male grey rat snake that i got from my local pet shop. he was the perfect snake in my eyes apart from his health, he came with a condition which caused him to poo everyday some slimy unusual looking stools, i took him to my nearest reptile vet (which is quite a distance) with a poo sample and got a diagnosis is a flaggalette parasite infection, and i took him to this vets about 4 times for medicines and treatment with little improvement, so in the end i took him back to the pet shop. however this was only 3 months ago and i regretted what i done and really miss him.
so i am now saying i am after a huge male grey rat snake between 6 and 7 foot in perfect health no older than 6 years old. I am in the swale area of Kent.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heatseeker872591 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 20:03:23
got my cam on charge tonight will take some pics tomorrow, he is absoloutley stunning, on weaned rats!!!
hiper2009 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 18:42:26
Glad to hear that , We want to see pics please
Brookestar Posted - 30/09/2010 : 17:50:20
so glad for you mate! hope it does the job of satisfying you :)

Pics???
heatseeker872591 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 17:43:55
just an update to let everyone know i am now the proud owner of an approx 3 year old and 5 foot texas rat snake, got him today from a good reptile shop where i got my tortoise from, they said they dont usually deal with rat snakes so this is a once in a lifetime opportunity
heatseeker872591 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 16:38:11
even a huge male 6 foot texas rat snake is good enough aswell as long as it is healthy and tame! just had a look at a few of those!
heatseeker872591 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 15:54:47
nah i raised a corn snake from a baby since 2007 his 4 years old now and still not fully grown, plus its the hassle of keeping havong to upgrade enclosure when they get bigger, plus im more in to the huge adults lol
n/a Posted - 27/09/2010 : 21:30:16
I've seen quite a few baby ones for sale - have you not thought about growing one on?
heatseeker872591 Posted - 27/09/2010 : 16:07:53
could you do me a big favour mate and message him again linking him to this page, then he can read the full story.
pompey666 Posted - 27/09/2010 : 15:23:44
thats ok thought i would let you both know anyway
heatseeker872591 Posted - 27/09/2010 : 15:16:01
but i see u put a word in for me on the site, im trying to sort my account out on there at the mo so i can message him myself, just ashame he cant deliver or anything it is quite a journey for me lol
heatseeker872591 Posted - 27/09/2010 : 14:56:01
i know i see that just now, quite ashame tho its all the way up in the east midlands, quite a journey from where i live in south east kent
pompey666 Posted - 27/09/2010 : 13:44:44
hi mate there is a six foot rat snake on the rfuk at the moment fr £60
heatseeker872591 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 21:25:32
tbh i have lost faith in many vets at this modern age, its all about elonglating the illness in "patients" to get more money out of the owners in my opinion. i remmeber1 the vet saying something like "dont worry there is nowhere near enough of the parasite to kill him" but when i had to contasntly clean his poo out everyday and then disinfect the whole viv with f10 got quite a handful.
but anyhows like you said we all learn, i just hope i come across a nice big male grey rat snake again one day and hopefully next time he will be a healthy one.
mikerichards Posted - 26/09/2010 : 21:21:10
we live and learn!!! panacur is a very effective treatment for all worms and flagellates.
What you gotta bear in mind though, is that not all flagellates are harmful, the vet himself should have sent a faecal sample to a vetlab, who would have diagnosed the protozoa.
heatseeker872591 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 21:04:26
ah i see thanks for that, well it was over 4 times i made trips to that vet, and the most heart breaking thing for me is once he was gone i now see anti flaggalette and anti worming medicine for reptiles on many reptile stores now, so i could have done it myself!if i would have known
mikerichards Posted - 26/09/2010 : 20:58:48
quote:
Originally posted by heatseeker872591

no they sold him on i been there many times since, it wasnt worms he had it was flaggalette which is a micro scopic single celled parasite, i been reading up on this parasite and it says that most wild caught snakes come with this parasite from the live wild rats and that they eat, but the pet shop owner told me the guy who originally owned him raised him from a baby and was bored of him and traded him in for a boa, either the pet shop guy is lying or the original owner knew what this snake had by feeding him live prey and said nothing, either way i was and still am very annoyed about it and would never reccomend anyone buying live stock from that particular pet shop. but my search for another one just like the one i had continues, they are really rare you know to find

The flagellate is a protozoan parasite, they are like a single celled worm, or fluke, without actually knowing for sure, its hard to diagnose. A simple antihelmintec or anti protazoan would have cleared it quite quickly, a decent vet would have known that and there would have been no reason to take him back.
A proper infestation would cause severe and rapid weight loss, so if he was a good size and 2kg's, then its likely a recent thing, most likely from the petshop itself.
It is mostly from being fed wild animals, or animals that have come into contact with wild animals, nothing to do with being fed live.
heatseeker872591 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 20:44:21
http://http://www.youtube.com/user/Heatseeker872591 this is my link to my youtube page, i havae a video of my old rat snake on here, if you was to see him youll see how gorgeous he looks, im after another one just like him
heatseeker872591 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 20:40:20
no they sold him on i been there many times since, it wasnt worms he had it was flaggalette which is a micro scopic single celled parasite, i been reading up on this parasite and it says that most wild caught snakes come with this parasite from the live wild rats and that they eat, but the pet shop owner told me the guy who originally owned him raised him from a baby and was bored of him and traded him in for a boa, either the pet shop guy is lying or the original owner knew what this snake had by feeding him live prey and said nothing, either way i was and still am very annoyed about it and would never reccomend anyone buying live stock from that particular pet shop. but my search for another one just like the one i had continues, they are really rare you know to find
mikerichards Posted - 26/09/2010 : 20:31:11
A gray rat that size is fully grown, most likely over 6 years old. why not go back to the pet shop, see if they still have him. To be fair, if they knew he had worms, which can be fatal if not treated, then they shouldnt have sold him, you never know!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000