The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Just got my first corn, and am wondering..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 08/03/2013 : 14:41:56
What is she?! She was advertised as an albino, but we have established that she is a snow (her colouring and temperament is what drew me to her, I think she is beautiful).

I picked her up today, and took two very quick pictures taking her out of her RUB and popping her into her new home so any help would be gratefully received on this front. First up - Cathy's bonce

(please don't think I am squeezing her - I use a wheelchair and my fingers are that colour normally)

and secondly, as this was a very quick transfer from RUB to new home, I tried to get a picture of her top and bottom markings at the same time

Now, I am thinking that I have got a gorgeous little snow here, I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm this for me. Thanks in advance, Fi

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 03/04/2013 : 08:15:22
I am totally with you Isodael - I would love to know the why of it as well. Saying that- I am not going to breed my Cathy out to prove anything just for my own curiosity as it seems to be the general consensus that it is just a little *foible* of snow corns.

My poor girl can't see a thing this morning, she looks like a zombie snow as her eyes are totally white
Isoldael Posted - 02/04/2013 : 13:36:00
-nods- my amel, Aurora, has quite some black in both eyes as well. I'd love to see what the underlying mechanism is, would be really interesting to research :)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 02/04/2013 : 09:29:36
Well, the black is not visible this morning, we have milky eyes!
smart bunny Posted - 01/04/2013 : 12:52:17
Lol no worries, just remembered seeing posts about it previously :)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 01/04/2013 : 09:35:18
*facepalm* Thank you smart bunny . I think it is just so pronounced as she is so tiddly. There is me and himself worrying about mites burrowing in and no, it is just her
smart bunny Posted - 31/03/2013 : 16:11:13
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

That's quite normal Fi. I believe a while back someone posted the same about their snow - that there was a black dot in the iris despite the morph being snow, will see if I can find it :)

Edit: here's one http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25337&SearchTerms=paradox,snow

and this one is better as there is a fab pic from Spreebok part way down: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23970&SearchTerms=paradox,snow
smart bunny Posted - 31/03/2013 : 16:05:04
That's quite normal Fi. I believe a while back someone posted the same about their snow - that there was a black dot in the iris despite the morph being snow, will see if I can find it :)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 31/03/2013 : 11:53:00
Just a quick question - and I have looked online but can't find anything about it I have noticed something about Cathy's eyes (my eyesight isn't the greatest unless I have my glasses on and rarely wear them).

She has a small black dot on each eye, in exactly the mirror image place on each eye. It was only when my husband held her for the first time that he noticed it. I had seen it but thought it was just a shadow.

If you can imagine the corner of your eye closest to your nose, it is that side on both of them.

My husband's eyesight is superb, so I got him to make sure it wasn't mites that might have burrowed in, and we gave her a really good once over for any other black dots (none).

I gave her viv a clean out a few days ago and there was absolutely no sign of mites in there either.

I have got a picture (it isn't the greatest as I cropped my messy room out of it, but you get the idea)

My husband has held her in the light and it is definitely black, not a darkening of the red. Is it just a quirk? I am not bothered either way as I got her for her temperament, not her morph, but I have read quite a bit about morphs since I got her, and it just got me wondering.

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light on this one
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 29/03/2013 : 11:50:59
quote:
Originally posted by ToNyC867

What a beautiful snow you have :-D

Thank you so much ToNyC867 - that is a lovely thing to say as I know they are so abundant on the market. I mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't have cared what her morph was, it was her temperament that drew me to her, but it was mrsbunt that pointed out the hearts on her head (doh! hadn't noticed them until she pointed them out!)

I am really looking forwards to the changes she is going to go through - to see if she yellows out, stays the same etc.
ToNyC867 Posted - 28/03/2013 : 18:59:23
What a beautiful snow you have :-D
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 27/03/2013 : 15:01:07
quote:
Originally posted by hayden764

That's a snow a lot of snows are mistaken for albinos when I first looked I thought she was an albino

I didn't actually know that there was any "true" form of albinism in corn snakes hayden764 - more reading for me! (not complaining, I thoroughly enjoy it for sure).
hayden764 Posted - 23/03/2013 : 19:57:22
That's a snow a lot of snows are mistaken for albinos when I first looked I thought she was an albino
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 09/03/2013 : 05:15:54
You found me Paulie78! *waves back*. I genuinely can't wait to see her changes, but don't want her to grow up too quickly either (bit like my kids really). I have googled, well bing'ed in truth as I don't use google "adult snow corn snakes" so what she is going to look like is a bit of a lottery, and they are all gorgeous, but so varied. She is probably going to have more pictures taken of her than the kids have
paulie78 Posted - 08/03/2013 : 19:45:02
Waves to Fi aww shes sooo cute some breeders refer to snows as albinos but there isnt really a true form of albinism in corn snakes welcome to the forum i missed the other thread im sure Cathy is going to be one happy lil hatchie with you sounds like you got her from a really decent breeder she will go through some amazing changes as she grows so be sure to take lots of piccys ..then post them here lol
LukeW Posted - 08/03/2013 : 19:03:27
They are real characters, mine is normally a shy little worm but as soon as me hand goes in hes like 'FREEDOM!' And trys to wriggle up my arm to be nosey, like today was supposed to be feeding time but he would rather be nosey than eat so need to try him again monday
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 08/03/2013 : 18:08:14
Thank you so much everyone for taking time to confirm to a total n00b what my gorgeous girl is. To be quite honest, I couldn't care less what name her morph is but I know people are going to ask, and it is nice to be able to tell them properly.

As she is my first snake, she has been bought as a pet, not for breeding or anything like that. It took long enough to bring my husband round to my way of thinking, but he is already talking about making her "big girl" home, and did mention that it would be a shame to leave her little home empty in years to come! I think I will just learn to take care of Cathy properly before I "branch out" again! Yep, you can call quote me on that one when in 6 months time I announce I am getting another
Moppet Posted - 08/03/2013 : 17:47:49
Yep, a snow. Beautiful snake The week settling in period for a new acquisition is always so long haha, but it'll be worth it afterwards when you get to handle her properly.
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 08/03/2013 : 16:51:26
You were spot on herriotfan, that is what you said last week. I am so pleased that I have got what I wanted. I can't wait to see how she looks when she is older.

I know I have to leave her for a week, but she is making it very easy for me by popping her head out and moving round quite a bit already. God help me when she can have her first official photo shoot!
herriotfan Posted - 08/03/2013 : 16:29:45
She's a gorgeous little snow.
Razee Posted - 08/03/2013 : 15:53:24
Beautiful little snow, so you finally got her! :-) She seems quite a character, love those huge eyes!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000