The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 The new Boy!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikerichards Posted - 05/04/2010 : 20:56:35
Picked this chap up today, very chilled out, lovely snake!
Its a false water cobra btw!!!

Sorry about the shadow, i didnt take the petal off the lens!! lol
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 17:06:57
The programme i seen them on (Boomslangs not FWC's) is on tonight but this time it is a snake special so think i may have to watch that.

Deadly Dozen: Africa - 11pm Nat Geo Wild
n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 16:21:28
Lovely snake, he is very pretty :)
mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 21:29:39
Haemotoxic venom is really quite unpleasant, its not just open orifices you bleed from, its all of them, internal hemorrhaging, extensive muscle and tissue damage, and its hurts like a b******d!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 19:18:42
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Their venom stops blood from clotting, and you end up with massive internal bleeding and sometimes from gums and nose etc. Antivenom has definatly been produced, it is just rarly stocked in the UK unless brought in for a specific purpose.

In 1957 (no, I didnt remember that, I had to look it up) a herpetologist from chicago was tagged. He went home and said he would be off for a day or two. He died 3 days later.

Yes on the programme is siad that it could cause the person to bleed from all open orrafaces such as nose and even eyes.

I thought it would be extremely unusual for them to have not made an anti venom as bites can be quite common as they spend alot of time in trees and people often get bit when picking fruit etc, although i can totally understand them not stocking it in the UK.

Totally awesome snakes, i actually seen one on sale on a website that somebody posted as this was were they awre getting their corn from. Amazing snakes but certainly not one you want to be keeping unless you are well experienced with venemous snakes.
n/a Posted - 06/04/2010 : 19:09:18
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Their venom stops blood from clotting, and you end up with massive internal bleeding and sometimes from gums and nose etc. Antivenom has definatly been produced, it is just rarly stocked in the UK unless brought in for a specific purpose.

In 1957 (no, I didnt remember that, I had to look it up) a herpetologist from chicago was tagged. He went home and said he would be off for a day or two. He died 3 days later.

Nice.

xXx
matty18714 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 18:37:00

mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 18:12:07
Hmmm, just done a bit of light reading, and it would appear that i am thinking of something different, although i have no idea what! Although all the info i have read about them having haemotoxic venom is quite old information, doesnt mean its right, but probably is!
mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 18:07:32
I am pretty sure hes male, i would have to double check tho! The boomslangs Fangs are really far forward for a rear fanged, almost towards the middle of the jaw rather than the rear. As for the antivenom, afaik there is none anywhere, something about the venom i think has made it impossible to create anything. From what i read, you have about 30 minutes to make a will. The venom causes massive cardiac failure, with near no symptoms prior, basically, massive heart attack.
matty18714 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 16:21:22
Very nice snake, I like that species alot. I dont think there is any boomslang antivenom stocked in UK hospitals either, though you have a while to make a will, it can take quite a while to kill you. However im not sure if thats a god thing or not!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 16:19:05
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Boomslangs are one of the ones definately not to poke, unless you have a big stick, their fangs are quite a bit further forward than most rear fanged, so they can envenomate much more easily, as far as I know there is no antivenom either, if you get bitten, make a will, quickly!

They are responsible for around 10-15% of all fatal snake bites in i think it is Sub Saharan Africa

They were on a programme i some times watch called worlds deadliest animals on Nat Geo Wild.

They are awesome snakes, i new they had quite short fangs but i should have guessed they were rear fanged by the shape of their faces.

Didn't realise their was no anti venom, i thought they could make anti venom for any snake that they can milk.

Edit - Do you know the sex of your FWC? I just read that the males average about 6 foot and can reach 7 but the females often reach upto 8 foot long.
mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 15:55:46
Boomslangs are one of the ones definately not to poke, unless you have a big stick, their fangs are quite a bit further forward than most rear fanged, so they can envenomate much more easily, as far as I know there is no antivenom either, if you get bitten, make a will, quickly!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 15:05:22
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Hoggies are awesome, so much character for a small snake, and they have quite cute faces, in a really ugly way!

Yer i know, there all Fugly lol.

They had one in the shop where i got Casper and Reggie.

I didn't know Boomslangs were rear fanged, really cool snakes though.
mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 11:13:17
I don't actually know, I think they are a fairly recent discovery, they about 400 quid each!
My next quest is either an albino hoggy, or a pair of hets. Hoggies are awesome, so much character for a small snake, and they have quite cute faces, in a really ugly way!
HannahB Posted - 06/04/2010 : 10:59:55
aw very cute

how come no one knows about the tricolour hognoses venom?
Sta~ple Posted - 06/04/2010 : 08:38:31
Daaw he looks so happy
mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 06:17:37
It does look like he is smiling doesn't it! I think the mouth shape is quite common on rear fanged snakes, the shape of the mouth would make fang penetration much easier! As for the venom, its been described by a good mate as 'uncomfortable'! It does cause some swelling and bruising, I don't intend to find out tho! I have a little hognose too, he's digesting at the mo, so photos in a while!
Other rear fanged you may have heard of are, mangrove snake (extremely uncomfortable bite!)
Boomslang (fatal), twigsnake (fatal), all hognoses (v mild, with exception of tricolour, no ones really sure about their venom)
Falsey, there are a few others too, mostly rat snakes too!
I will see if he hoods for a photo, problem is he only does it in the tub, once I open it he just wants love!
Figs Posted - 05/04/2010 : 23:04:52
thanks Kehhlyr :)
Kehhlyr Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:50:45
oooh, jealouses.

And to answer your question Figs, they are venomous.
They are one of a handful of 'mildly' venomous snakes that can be kept in the UK without a licence.
The False water cobra and the western Hognose are probably the 2 most common ones, but there are others.
All the ones that can be kept without licence are rear-fanged as well (so I believe) and the venom, although not as deadly as some other venomous snakes can still cause quite large issues and anaphalactic(sp?) shock.
Figs Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:24:07
what a beauty!
looks like he's smiling!
does he have a name?

and are they venomous?
BlueTongueDan Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:23:17
Beautiful little snake!
Nice photos.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000