The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 My New Baby GAL!!!! (pic Heavy!!)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/01/2010 : 21:11:51
OK!

So Here is Tobias-Sluggley!

He was adopted today- and he was free! "Bought" him from a rep shop who thought it was quite funny that I only wanted to buy 1 Baby GAL!

He was "sealed in" when I chose him...got him home- so sent a few desperate messages and was told to put him "Seal up" in warm water...
and...

Ta-da!!!

Introducing...

Tobias "Poxy" Sluggley!!!

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:12:45
Unsure about feeding different food affecting the colours, I doubt it though as most of the stuff mine has eaten has been green.
The white lines they get on the shells are due to the stop/start of the shell growth.

HannahB Posted - 02/02/2010 : 16:41:51
cordelia is lovely
neat job fixing her shell aswell
n/a Posted - 02/02/2010 : 16:09:42
The Fix job you did looks great!! I take it she is Fit Fine and Wonderful in herself?? I said to Hubby that he is going to have to share the odd drink or two with Tobias and he laughed... and then realised that I wasnt joking! :) But then its a reason for him to crack one open!!

I came home from work today to find that he has decided to go to sleep stck to the lid of his box... so I wont fuss him yet :)

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Am sure I saw a clip on tv of one of these drinking out of a pint glass and slipping down side! (from a very old tv news show)

If Skorps feeds Toby red cabbage will it turn his markings pink ??? You know how she loves her pink!!!

xxx

HAHA!!

I was SOOO going to ask this...but phrase it slightly differently... something along the lines of..

"If you feed them X Y Z does that influence the colours on the shells...

:)

Seriously- Does it??

xXx
Kellog Posted - 02/02/2010 : 11:13:54
Am sure I saw a clip on tv of one of these drinking out of a pint glass and slipping down side! (from a very old tv news show)

If Skorps feeds Toby red cabbage will it turn his markings pink ??? You know how she loves her pink!!!

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/02/2010 : 22:40:58
I use John Innes Peat for mine, I just make sure I don't get the one that has anti snail/slug stuff in.
I've not tried mine on any mince, but may well do it in the future see how she gets on.
The gala melons aren't as big as most melons, they only have about a 6-8 inch diameter so half a melon overnight isn't as much as it sounds, and yes I do mist mine usually a couple times a day, or if their greens or cuttlefish look dry but it also depends on what state they and any young are in.
I got the name Cordelia from Buffy, I just liked the name.

Anyway, here's a quick couple of Cordelias hibernation seal, and her surgery.

She's woken up a bit more now and has had some green stuff to eat with some boost-juice so she'll be raring to go in the next couple of days which means I get to chill and have a beer with her again one evening.

This is one of her from October last year having a beer with me. :)

n/a Posted - 01/02/2010 : 16:25:50
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Out of curiosity, why have you got him next to the heat mat?

I feed mine on any vegs, aside from any in the onion family (leeks included).
But sweet fruits, they love.
When I had 4 of them they caned half a gala melon in 24 hours, skin included.

I woke Cordelia up earlier, and took a couple pics of her polyfilla scar, I shall get them up later, and get some more pics of her when I move her out of the hibernation chamber.

Hes next to the heat mat as the temps in my room DROP at night- depending on o/side temp but sometimes hit 10-13 o'C and Also- its the best place for him to be ATM as next to the window is colder than the side of the room he is on away from the window- also I read that they dont like direct sun light..?

Half a melon in 24hrs?? Thats some eating!!
HAve you ever given them raw mince? I read that it is a good source of protein for them but not on a regular basis. I may go and get a melon... as I LOVE THEM!! and I may share some with him... :)

Cant wait to see some more pics of Cordelia- Great name BTW!!
What soil do you use? I bought a block of eco soil.
DO you mist yours?

(Sorry- New Mummy Questions!!)

xXxXx
Kehhlyr Posted - 31/01/2010 : 23:07:51
Out of curiosity, why have you got him next to the heat mat?

I feed mine on any vegs, aside from any in the onion family (leeks included).
But sweet fruits, they love.
When I had 4 of them they caned half a gala melon in 24 hours, skin included.

I woke Cordelia up earlier, and took a couple pics of her polyfilla scar, I shall get them up later, and get some more pics of her when I move her out of the hibernation chamber.
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 16:10:57
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

hmmm its so tempting to get one.. the shop have them in and you can get them free when you buy a set up.. hmmmmm *locks purse away in deep underground safe* lmao

You should get one!

I bought some other bits and pieces- Reptile shed/Povodine iodine and wound healing cream and they basically threw hm in for free!!

At the moment he is in a plastic sweetie box- like the type you get with penny sweets but if my Mum hadn't found one of them then he would have been kept in a Chinese take away box! He is next to Slinky's heat mat as I am dumb and completely forgot to get a thermometer when I bought the cuttlefish!

And hes also an excuse to "Eat Healthily" as I keep telling Hubby- Tobias needs fresh food (*achem*) so what Tobias doesnt eat then Hubby should!

Kehhlyr- have you ever fed yours Avocado..?
What do you feed yours?
Ive read that you can give them a small amount of mince...

xXx
Kehhlyr Posted - 31/01/2010 : 15:35:50
It wasn't a big crack, it was a lump of her shell that cracked off when she fell off the table.
I was cleaning her tank out and didn't notice how close she had gotten to the edge of the table, I shall wake her up later this week and get some piccys for you, it's about time she woke up properly, she's been hibernating on and off for the past few months.
HannahB Posted - 31/01/2010 : 14:22:17
hmmm its so tempting to get one.. the shop have them in and you can get them free when you buy a set up.. hmmmmm *locks purse away in deep underground safe* lmao
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 14:16:20
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I just feed mine whatever I give them, to be honest, I don't think I've ever washed what I give them.
They love john smiths and worthington creamflow, I used to get 4 of the things having a drink with me on a plate when they were a few months old. :D
I shall have to get a photo of my repair on Cordelia, she had a bad fall a few months back and her shell broke. A quick job with polyfilla and nail varnish and she's all happy now.

I guess Im just a "New Mummy" with New Mummy Worries!!

I wen and bought cuttlefish today- 6 pieces...which is going to last him a L..O..N..G time!

Poor Cordelia! Was it a big crack?? and how did you fix her with Pollyfilla?? I may get some... Just In Case!!

xXx
Kehhlyr Posted - 31/01/2010 : 13:59:43
I just feed mine whatever I give them, to be honest, I don't think I've ever washed what I give them.
They love john smiths and worthington creamflow, I used to get 4 of the things having a drink with me on a plate when they were a few months old. :D
I shall have to get a photo of my repair on Cordelia, she had a bad fall a few months back and her shell broke. A quick job with polyfilla and nail varnish and she's all happy now.
lmfastcars Posted - 31/01/2010 : 12:54:41
wow cool :)
BlueTongueDan Posted - 31/01/2010 : 11:09:08
LOL, What a name!
Cute little snail

quote:
Nice, I remember when mine were that size, I think BTD's skink remembers them as well.

He suuure does
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 10:57:29
quote:

awwwwwww so cute..so very cute!!
what kind of set up do they need? the shop has some in round the corner..am tempted!

Thanks Guys!

I wasnt sure if he would live because he was "sealed Over"

We went to the Opening of TC Reptiles in Ashford- they had moved shop from round the corner- found some Snakey things that I wanted- including shed aid and I had seen on their website that they sold GALS for 20p each- So I asked firstly, if they had any Baby GALS and secondly if I could have one- and could I see them please..?

After some laughing- the babies were brought out for me to have a look at and I chose T-P-S and then they had a good laugh again as they didn't have anything to put "One Poxy Snail In" so I bought a little pot thing as well- and then there was the debate of - does it count as a Pet sale or a Live Food Sale..? Then they decided that they didnt want to fill a form in for "One Poxy Snail" so he would count as Live Food Sale.

When I got him home I had to run him under some warm water as he was sealed in- but he was pretty cold- and to be honest If I was going to be fed to something else- like a giant lizard- I think I would rather be asleep in hibernation...

SO he woke up after about 45 mins of warm water- running under the tap gently and also on a plate :)

Im REALLY happy !!!

As far as the Eggs as K said- if you have 2 and they do breed and you dont want the eggs to hatch- scoop them all up, put them in a sandwich bag and put them in the freezer for 48 hours or so and they should all die

They seam to be pretty simple to look after as long as they are warm otherwise they will seal over again- and the only other thing is make sure you wash what ever you feed them

xXx
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/01/2010 : 23:04:14
Nice, I remember when mine were that size, I think BTD's skink remembers them as well.

quote:

what kind of set up do they need? the shop has some in round the corner..am tempted!

A decent sized faun, with some nice peat in the bottom will do it.
I kept mine in a coffee jar as they grew because they'd get lost in the peat really easily.
Once they had a shell size of about an inch then they went in a peat rub.
Mine used to love melon, cucumber and lettuce.
A misting everyday or few times a day with a bit of cuttlefish and they're easy.
Unless you want billions of young then only get one, because you'd run the risk of getting into a LOT of trouble if you released them.

They can get quite big, this is an old pic of cordelia, next to one about the same size as yours.

*edited - double posting*
gmac Posted - 30/01/2010 : 22:51:44
Very nice Skorps, although GAL, on a plate on a bed of salad, nice choice of setting.
HannahB Posted - 30/01/2010 : 21:38:53

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000