The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 Rescued Snakes (pic heavy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 14:06:54
ALL of these snakes had been found in peoples Homes- and rescued by the Resident Reptile Man.
Some pics from my Safari from my holiday last year in SA.
Im Glad these guys were behind glass!

And then there is this guy:

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 12/12/2009 : 17:08:11
Hes a Good Looking chap though!
:)
xXx
hillzi Posted - 12/12/2009 : 16:53:03
Damn thought he was a gaboon!!

them and puffers are quite similar though!

n/a Posted - 12/12/2009 : 14:58:13
Love it Kellog!
Keep 'em comming!
Infact- post a list of SA snakes- And I'll do my best to get pics of the when I go in Feb!
xx
lee2308 Posted - 11/12/2009 : 14:32:51
nice pics,love the green mamba too
Kellog Posted - 11/12/2009 : 04:54:12
Think my absolute favorite SA snake is the Rinkhals...did you see any? We did and the glass inside the viv was totally spattered with venom! Wish I could post a pic, but wont let me so you will have to put up with another lesson on an SA snake! (sorry, its the African part of me coming out!!)

The Rinkhals

The Rinkhals look fairly similar to the Cobras but has keeled scales and only has a single species in the Genus.

The colour may vary but is usually a spotted black (Adults of N Cape) to brown colour (Gauteng area) with yellow to white cross bars with 2- 3 large bands on the ventral side of the neck. In the adults the bars usually fade away to a uniform black colour as in the photos above. The average length is 1 metre with a record length of 1.5 metres.The Rinkhals is ovoviviparous meaning that they give birth to 15 up to 60 live young during the late summer. The occur under the 2 500 metres and usually in the grassy areas of the Southern Cape, Transkei, Orange Free State, Lesotho, Natal and western Swaziland and south east Transvaal but not in the Low Veld and should not be confused with the Mozambique Spitting Cobra.

The venom is neurotoxic but not as toxic as Cobras and is more diluted when spitted. The hole in the fangs are not at the tip of the teeth as with the Cobras but has a canal that ends in an elbow that projects the poison up and forward. Venom in the eyes can be very painful and cause blurred vision and the eyes should be washed with water or milk

Rinkhals are definitely a nocturnal species, but may occasionally be observed basking during the day.

A curious fact about this species is the ability to feign death. This snake, if presented with no possibility to flee, and faced with a "predator" unfazed by it's spitting- will roll over on it's back melodramatically, open it's mouth and let the tongue hang out, all this to discourage whoever may be hovering over it. Soon after the assumed predator has walked away, the animal will roll over on it's belly and slide carelessly away..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Behaviour
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VenomThe venom of this species is less viscous (i.e. thinner) than that of other African elapids, naturally, as thinner fluid is naturally easier to spit. However, the venom of Hemachatus is produced in copious amounts- yields average 80-120 mg. (LD50 1.1-1.6 mg/kg) with an estimated lethal dose for humans of 50-60 mg.

Actual bites from Hemachatus are fairly rare, and deaths in modern times are so far unheard of. Local symptoms of swelling / bruising is reported in about 25% of cases. General symptoms of drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, violent abdominal pain / cramps and vertigo often occur, as does a mild pyrexial reaction. Neurotoxic symptoms are however rare and have only included diplopia and dyspnoea. Ophthalmia has been reported, but has not caused as severe complications as in some of the spitters in the genus Naja (especially N. nigricollis & N. mossambica).

xxx
n/a Posted - 10/12/2009 : 16:52:27
No Sorries- I got the wrong end of the stick :(
Hubby explained it to me- but I took it all backwards!
xx
Kellog Posted - 10/12/2009 : 04:25:33
Boomslang (Dispholidus typus)

The Boomslang Snake is a rather large, highly poisonous tree dwelling snake found throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Boomslangs are greenish to brown or even black in color. These coloring variations are the greatest of any other snakes in their Afrotropic regional habitat. It is the adult females that are usually brown in color, with males a light green color often with black or blue highlights outlining the edges of their scales. This snake is a one deadly animal because of its preference for aerial positioning in tree top and shrub cover. Hard to see in the thick forested cover of the savanna, the Boomslang Snake is well camouflaged and strikes without giving any warning signal. The Boomslang delivers a potent Hemotoxic venom to its victim through large, deeply grooved Folded Fangs positioned in the rear of its mouth and this snake bite can be fatal if left untreated.

The Boomslang is a very unusual snake in that it is one of the very few poisonous snakes identified in the Colubridae snake family. Colubrids are the most common snakes with over 2,000 species worldwide, most of which are non-venomous snakes, including the Kingsnakes & Milk Snakes, Black Racers and Ribbon Snakes, all very popular species in the captive bred reptile industry.

The bite strike of the Boomslang, with dominant Hemotoxic venom, affects the circulatory system destroying red blood cells causing organ degeneration and generalized tissue damage. Snakes with this deadly venom are classified in the group known as Solenoglypha. Their bites cause intense pain, swelling and necrosis even when delivered in small amounts, these snake bite causes severe hemorrhaging continuing for extended periods, even 24-48 hours after strike contact, making the Boomslang very dangerous to man.

The colour variations of the Boomslang are amazing and it isnt surprising that they are mistaken for a green mamba sometimes. The most readily identifiable physical feature of the Boomslang is exceptionally large eyes proportionate to its distinctive egg-shaped head.

Checkout http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/pictures-boomslang.cfm for pics of them.

(Sorry, having lived in South Africa the boomslang is one of my favourite snakes...viewed from behind glass at all times!!)

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/12/2009 : 19:05:32
OK!
Ive found the other pics I was looking for- so now I know what the snakes are:

1)

2)

3)

4- Now- this could be a corn-snake- as Ive taken a picture of the corn-snake plaque- but Im not 100%!!

5)

6)
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 23:56:59
The 4th pic i am guessing is something like a pine snake, certainly looks like one of the various Pituophis species anyway.
eeji Posted - 06/12/2009 : 22:54:00
2nd pic is a green mamba, beautiful snakes :)
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 20:10:34
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

The Green snake is a Green Mamba- or Boomslang (direct Afrikaans transation Tree Snake)

This is why common names are pointless for venomous. Using common names causes confusion between species. Green mambas are under the genus Dendroaspis where as boomslang are Dispholidus. They are differant species.

Clearly I need to do some special research on snales in general!
When I go to SA in Feb I shall be sure to correct everyone I meet :)

xx
hillzi Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:48:06
D'oh! forgot about the yellow annies

I still need to upload my florida pics, where i have a 19ft burm round my neck! !

Hmm it looks like a desert snake from her scale formation.. Do they have the burrowing blind snake in SA? Maybe totally off.
BlueTongueDan Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:35:21
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

I dont think you want a green mamba Eye.. or is a boomslag or rough green?

Love the gaboon, my favourite DWA. only because its such a beast!

Beautiful rectic and looks to me like an albino cali king 2nd to last?

Anyone know what the 3rd and 4th ones are? 3rd i'm thinking maybe a carpet python of some kind.

cheers for sharing!

3rd is a Yellow Anaconda, Not sure about the 4th photo
Great photos, Skorps!!
Id love to visit S.Africa
matty18714 Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:22:14
quote:

The Green snake is a Green Mamba- or Boomslang (direct Afrikaans transation Tree Snake)

This is why common names are pointless for venomous. Using common names causes confusion between species. Green mambas are under the genus Dendroaspis where as boomslang are Dispholidus. They are differant species.
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:19:41
I know that I wouldnt wana meet one on the road again!
matty18714 Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:16:25
quote:

Pic number 5 is (i think) a Puff Adder
xx

It is a puff adder, (though really that name is unspecific and revers to most animals under the Bitis genus) its Bitis arietans.
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:14:01
Pic number 5 is (i think) a Puff Adder
xx
matty18714 Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:04:50
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Love the gaboon, my favourite DWA. only because its such a beast!

There is no picture of a gaboon.

Edit - And I would say the green snake is a Boomslang, though im not clued up on that species.
n/a Posted - 06/12/2009 : 18:34:09
If I found my other sim card I'll be able to tell you what snakes 3 and 4 are- as I took pics of all the info boards o/side the Vivs- these pics are off Hubbys camera- and I cant find my pics :(
xx
HannahB Posted - 06/12/2009 : 18:26:58
ooooh some pretty snakes there
i love the albino cali king

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000