The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 MBK pics (but need help)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brookestar Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:07:45
after the loss of my gecko i have spent the last few hours checking my reps, making sure they are ok. just wanted to know if he looks a bit too fat or if its normal

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brookestar Posted - 07/09/2009 : 17:18:36
dont be silly kellog thats a great help
Kellog Posted - 07/09/2009 : 03:16:03
Mites must be really hard to see on an MBK. We had them on Kellog and I never really saw them properly (bad eyesight) but they were described as little black dots running all over him. Good if he is going into shed cos might get rid of main mites, which is what happened with Kellog. Maybe you could take him out and run him through your hands holding a damp white towel or kitchen roll and see if any black spots (mites) or red spots (blood) come off him. I know thats what we did but not sure if it applies to MBKs. If it is mites and he is anything like Kellog he will go a bit manic when he does shed, Kellog was literally trying to rip his skin off himself cos he suddenly seemed to feel them on him. Thats when we realised what was going on and got him straight out and into water to finish shed and wash away as many mites as possible. Sorry I cant help anymore. xxx
Brookestar Posted - 06/09/2009 : 17:49:07
im not allowed them but i have them

what do mites look like then

think he shedding atm. his eyes are blue...really blue
Lewy Posted - 05/09/2009 : 23:03:07
Don't worry that's what the forum is here for. There's always more anyone can learn.
It's always best really if you can quarantine for 6 months away from other snakes (be it another room or as far away in the same room as possible) Mites are a nightmare if a full collection gets them. most of the time snakes get mite when they are newly bought. (eggs are brought in on them and they'll hatch in a few weeks of having it with you)

It's not just mites you have to worry about, there's all sorts of things that can pass from snake to snake.

Change your clothes and wash your hands/arm after handling new comers - mites can be carried from one snake to another on your clothes. change the quarantined snakes water in the morning and the others in the evening (again to stop passing things from one to another)

Feed in different containers/trays.

Some people don't keep to these guidelines as strictly as this, but I've found it can save a lot of time in the long run having to treat all the snakes because of one new comer. It's better for the other snakes in your collection and for you.

Your brothers room may be better... You're lucky I wasn't aloud to have snakes when I was living with my parents (probably why I have so many now)
Brookestar Posted - 05/09/2009 : 21:52:24
now thats a problem you see my dad hates me having reps and wants any excuse to get rid of them but as they are in my room he cant do anythin. (if you hadnt gathered he is rather controllin). is there another way around it? if not ill be asking my bro if i can use his room.

sorry i didnt know about this. feel bad now
Lewy Posted - 05/09/2009 : 20:44:13
Congrats on the Mexi - Gorgeous sankes!

We use teracotta plant pots with doors cut out with a tile saw - but to be honest Nagini spends most of his time just laying about the viv instead of in the hide. Hypanthia has a terracotta pot and a plastic tuppaware hide, she seems to use both.

I'd keep an eye on him (look out for mites in the water bowl) Hopefully it's just a shedding thing. It is unusual for mexis to spend a lot of time soaked in the water (at least ours don't)

I'd quarantine the mexi in a separate room to your other snakes Brookstar (If you haven't already) At least six months, If there is anything wrong then you won't run the risk of passing whatever it is on, this goes for any new snakes to a collection.

We got Munky (our milk snake) last Doncaster show in June and found he had mites a few weeks later (all treated now) because he was quarantined well we didn't run the risk of passing mites on to the other 11 snakes
Brookestar Posted - 05/09/2009 : 15:45:46
nice pic lee. thats my next question. whats the best hide for a mexi seeing as they are so bug
lee2308 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 15:14:26
thats a good thing about mexis,theres no doubting when they go blue

Brookestar Posted - 05/09/2009 : 14:45:13
heat mat and a energy savers bulb

checked heating and its averaging 28c (electric therm and been out all day so checked average temps)

obviously not sure on mites

but his eyes are blue...ish so might be shedding soon
matty18714 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 12:17:11
Well it suggests she is either too hot, has mites, or is coming up to a shed. How are you heating it?
Brookestar Posted - 05/09/2009 : 00:00:39
why is that not good?
Brookestar Posted - 05/09/2009 : 00:00:04
just today
lee2308 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 23:59:06
look ok to me,my female is fat but shes toning up now,is it spending alot of time in the bowl?
Brookestar Posted - 04/09/2009 : 23:49:42
thanks everyone
Kellog Posted - 04/09/2009 : 23:19:58
Dont know anything about mbk's but your snake looks stunning and healthy. xxx
PunkAsF82 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:41:42
looks like a gorgeous and healthy snake to me
HannahB Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:26:40
i dont know much about mbk's but he looks good to me.. he is lovely
BlueTongueDan Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:19:44
I agree. Looks a nice healthy snake
Brookestar Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:16:12
cheers matty. maybe im just being paranoid. gonna way him soon.
matty18714 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:14:00
To me he actualy looks an ideal weight.

Edit - spelling

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000