The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 A boy,a girl,and some GALS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mort13 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 09:40:19
Took a couple of pics (actually got a little carried away as usual!) of the kids having their first hold of the adopted GALS. They loved the sensation of them moving.
Anyway,heres the pics. As I've mentioned their shells don't look great.

The snail my daughter held is up first. This is the one with the hole in the side of its shell,although its not shown on the pics:

Next up the one my son held:

Not sure if the state of the shell is caused by lack of calcium?

Love this pic. Looks like its got kissy lips!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mort13 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 20:58:46
Yeah,I'm planning on doing a care sheet type thing and taping it to their enclosure. They have enough height for one to be wandering around and another to be on the top without making contact.
My reckoning is they've never had any calcium (or its been a hell of a long time since they have,and that they've been handled a bit carelessly......they are from my nephews school,a Primary school so the kids aren't very old.
Red123 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 20:44:16
Ahhh poor snails their shells do look a mess. Maybe you should make up a care sheet to go back with them, unless you can persuade them to let you keep them. They need quite a tall enclosure as well or the shells end up rubbing against each other as one hangs upside down and one goes by underneath. I wonder if the kids at the school have been handling them and accidently dropped them.
Mort13 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 20:32:11
I have calcium dust too as I use it for my millipede. Calcium overload here!!
stotty01 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 19:44:23
you can also use calcium powder, powdered oyster shell, natural chalk and wood ash :)
Mort13 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 19:35:02
Bleurghh!!! Thats a truly minging thought!!
lotabob Posted - 01/08/2011 : 18:52:51
Bit of garlic butter and they'd be delicious.

Mamma Posted - 01/08/2011 : 18:07:53
I understand mort xxx
Mort13 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 17:46:17
I have to say I feel sorry for the poor things. Don't know how long the school have had them,but I'm shocked no ones had a proper look at them and done some reaearch!
PS. Thanks for that link Mamma. Its really helpful. If I keep the eggs I'll be using that.
As it is,although the size of the enclosure is too small for these,they aren't mine so I can't really do much.
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/08/2011 : 14:10:23
Agree with what has been said already, those shells are in an atrocious state.
scottishbluebird Posted - 01/08/2011 : 13:48:07
sorry but ewwww!
Mamma Posted - 01/08/2011 : 11:54:40
its the best source of calcium for them. They will likely be the same speicies if you have already found eggs... best thing for eggs if you arent keepin them is to freeze them.

They look like achatina... I found this very useful to determine how big an enclosure was needed for my 2:

http://www.petsnails.co.uk/snail-calc.php

edit the depth is important as they are burrowers xx
Mort13 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 11:16:15
Theres 4 snails,the enclosure they are in is approx 50cm long and 40cm wide. Haven't a clue what type they are,how old they are,or what kind of care they've received previously (I'm guessing not the best!) I found eggs in the enclosure when I cleaned them last night. There was no cuttlefish in their enclosure when I was given them. I have a ****atiel though and always have cuttlefish in the house. Needless to say,they've gone mental for it.
stotty01 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 10:59:00
shave some cuttlefish bone onto there meals, you can find it in a local pet shop :)
Mamma Posted - 01/08/2011 : 10:51:13
The shells ladder due to lack of calcium and also if they were housed in too small an enclosure (and/or with too many others) then their shells "ladder" (crack) cos they dont have the adequate amount of room to grow. When I adopted Bertha (RIP) she was badly laddered but was in an enclosure with another snail(not the same species so they couldnt breed) which gave her more room. Her shell soon started healing with plenty of cuttlefish bone. You can also get a calicium suppliment to put in the misting bottles as well... I cant remember the name of it right now tho... sorry

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000