The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 feeding a royal out the viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
devilsmistress Posted - 14/05/2010 : 15:39:05
Since I have had my roayl he has point blank refused to eat out the viv, so Im having to feed in the viv which I really dont like doing. I put kitchen town over the substrate and 9/10 its ok, but every now and then he manages to pick up one or two wood chips! I know a few wont do much damage, But im woried about the build up over time. So Idealy I would like to get him feeding in a rub like the others.

Any ideas on how to encourage him?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
devilsmistress Posted - 14/05/2010 : 22:38:15
Thats a good trick hillzi! Ill give that ago! Ill feed the other two first though! Cos they all get fed in the same tub with a quick spray and wipe round between each one!
hillzi Posted - 14/05/2010 : 22:27:31
I can somewhat relate to the behaviour with my corn.

Try rubbing the rat all over the sides of the rub, so it smells ratty so he goes into food mode when he goes into the rub?

a33272 Posted - 14/05/2010 : 21:54:12
i use newspaper in my JCP'S viv when i feed him and he's become renowed for playing with his food first and never had a problem with news paper yet
devilsmistress Posted - 14/05/2010 : 18:35:01
As he is eating he will start at one end of the viv and end up at the other! He keeps reajusting himself, thats how he catches the supstrate in his mouth So I dont think the newspaper will help, he will either rip it, screw it up or end up underneth!
n/a Posted - 14/05/2010 : 18:25:25
Can you not whack a towel down instead?
Or newspaper?
Something to take up more surface space?
xXx
devilsmistress Posted - 14/05/2010 : 17:18:39
I may try skipping a feed and then trying him in he rub, see if he is hungry enough, and if he dont take it NOT give it to him in the viv, Then do the same the next feed, See if he gets the hint that the rub is for feeding. Did not want to have to make him ship feeds but I think in the long run its better than him keep swallowing substrate.

Bin bag is a good idea, may do that if all else fails. There is alot to move out the viv to get the bag in. But if it comes to that then that it will be!

Thnks for the suggstions Sta~ple
Sta~ple Posted - 14/05/2010 : 16:49:39
Wow O.o; that sounds crazy! I have no idea to be honest, the only thing I can really think of now is to maybe cover up the viv more maybe with something like a big bin bag and and that way there should be no chance of him getting any substrate on his nom noms.

Or try putting him in a rub every now and again even with no food there so he gets used to it.

Sorry I'm no good with ideas ^^;
devilsmistress Posted - 14/05/2010 : 16:34:00
Tried that! just sat staring at me "like you mad woman??" I think cos the previous owner just used to chuck the mouse in and let him get on with it!

I even left the rat in the rub with him lid on and in the viv, but nope! As soon as he was out I took the rub out lifted the rat, he flew out the viv and grabbed the rat (nearly my hand to) and set about eating in the viv again!
Sta~ple Posted - 14/05/2010 : 16:30:53
How about you start with a rub inside the viv that covers most of the viv? It's worth a try. That way he could get used to feeding outside the viv completely.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000