The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 getting a boa. please help!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/05/2010 : 10:30:11
hi im toby,

im thinking of getting either brazilian rainbow boa OR a costa rican boa, i really can't decide, i LOVE the pattern on the rainbow but i LIKE the pattern on the costa rican and i prefer its head shape, what would you recommend?

Also i have a 32inch wide glass viv and what heat sources do i need, i already have a light fitted but i want a heat mat so that i can turn the light off at night, i would put the heat mat under the glass but even so, would this get too hot and burn the snake? and would i need a thermostat to prevent this?

The last question is about humidity. I have been to many reptile shops and the people there state that humidity is not a problem for rainbows or any boa as all they need is a moist hide with moss inside and then the rest of the viv can be dry, so in essence, the boa themselves can choose whether to hang about in the moist hide or in the whole viv itself so please will you give some insight on that? and does the costa rican even need high humidity?

your answers will help LOADS,

cheers, Toby.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 29/05/2010 : 17:54:08
I've never thought of corns as eels.. I've always thought of Kingsnakes as being more eel like although I do see what you mean, tiny head, long body XD

You may want to get a set-up and test it way before you get the snake just so you can check the humidity. Please post pictures when you get him!
Fal Posted - 29/05/2010 : 09:50:04
My friend has a rainbow, and is planning to breed them. He said his viv is kept very himid with spraying etc.. as well as a moist hide and a water bowl big enough for the snake to sit in should it wish to. He doesn't have a heat mat, just ceramic bulbs as mentioned with thermostat.
Kehhlyr Posted - 29/05/2010 : 01:31:53
Hmmm, hybrid corn X eel....

*Goes off into secret Lab with bizarre medical equipment*

*patents the process*
*line breeds to get a pure strain*
*cross breeds with other morphs*
*get amazing pie-sided bloodred eel morph*
*profits*
*retires at somewhere near the age of 30*
eeji Posted - 28/05/2010 : 23:00:14
yeh, but they're cool eels ;)
n/a Posted - 28/05/2010 : 22:08:16
just letting everyone know im getting a rainbow boa hatchling in july, cheers for your replies! and corn snakes look like eels guys, they just do...
hiper2009 Posted - 10/05/2010 : 12:16:00
Hello if the rainbow boa forum is not active enough for you , you can use this website which is the big mother of all these forums, http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/index.php you may need to register.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 22:43:26
quote:
Originally posted by Tobila

thanks for the replys and yes i have tried therainbowboa.co.uk but not many people are on the forum and no one has replied to three of my posts, this is why i have posted it on here because many more people are registered on this website AND i have printed off the caresheet from therainbowboa.co.uk and it says you have to clean it every week which is an effort and i went to one petshop who hadnt cleaned the cage out for a month and he got me to smell it, it smelt clean and fresh...so yeah

What staple says makes sense, and if it says it on the care sheet then yer its probably best to give it a clean once a week.

This forum may be more active but your questions will be answered. You just need a little bit of patience. Did you try using the search feature?

You may get quicker answers on here but people over on the rainbow boa site will likely be able to answer you questions better.
n/a Posted - 09/05/2010 : 22:06:09
thanks for the replys and yes i have tried therainbowboa.co.uk but not many people are on the forum and no one has replied to three of my posts, this is why i have posted it on here because many more people are registered on this website AND i have printed off the caresheet from therainbowboa.co.uk and it says you have to clean it every week which is an effort and i went to one petshop who hadnt cleaned the cage out for a month and he got me to smell it, it smelt clean and fresh...so yeah
Sta~ple Posted - 09/05/2010 : 21:11:08
I'd get a rainbow boa but that's because I want one myself maybe one day ^^ although the care requirements do seem quite hard. Yes they do need cleaning out every week because of the humidity level and the mould and bacteria that like to grow in warm, damp conditions.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 20:15:04
Damp paper towles won't keep the water aswell and moss is better as the snake can slither through it.

Im not completely sure on the cleaning out. Aslong as you spot clean you won't need to do a full clean as often as once a week, but boas can hold onto there waste and sometimes don't poo for a good couple of months. Wether this includes BRBs im not sure.

Have you tried heading over to www.therainbowboa.co.uk like Lee said? You are much more likely to get your questions and queries answered over there.
n/a Posted - 09/05/2010 : 19:47:25
also can you please answer the following questions:

does a rainbow need a r.u.b when it is a baby, if yes, how long until it can move on to a big vivarium?

how often do you have to spray the vivarium with water everyday, and how much spray do you use?

will the doors fog up, if so, how do i stop this?

how much of the mesh do i cover up?

do you have to clean out the ENTIRE vivarium once a week, or once a month as long as you spot clean?

can you use dap paper towels instead of moss for humidity in a humidity hide?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 18:49:05
Aslong as there is someventilation i think it should be ok.
n/a Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:31:13
cheers lee, ive decided to go for the brazilian, and another shop now informs me that if i place a water bowl beneath the light to evaporate, put in a moist hide, and give the viv a few sprays with a water bottle this will suffice. But because i have a glass viv i will have to cover the mesh top with glass, would this be a problem for ventilation? even though there is mesh on the side of the viv aswell but only a little.

please reply,
cheers
eeji Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:21:35
if its a proper, pure costa rican BCI then it has to be that! :D
lee2308 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 14:05:50
you would need a ceramic heater or a infra red buld instead of a bulb then you could leave it on 24/7,i would not recommend placing a mat under glass as they are prone to crack the bottom of the glass and that is why you will need a stat for a internal mat if you had one but a ceramic should be fine on its own.I feel that your local shop has misinformed you about humidity as rainbows do need high humidity and a moist hide will not be enough,why not pop over to www.therainbowboa.co.uk

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000