The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 BCI

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 20:17:31
GETTING A B.C.I SOOooooo excited! Only a few weeks to get the last of the cash together and then I can pick him, or her, up
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/05/2010 : 21:21:56
Do you guts ever let your BCI's go for a swim in the bath etc?

I know in the wild they can often be found in or around water, so one would think that they liked to swim. Although its just theory
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/05/2010 : 09:55:37
Good, then make sure you know what you're getting into before you get it.

I have experience with HOTS and the lovely double doored concrete building to keep them in as well, but wont have them.
The reason for this is simply because I cannot honestly say that in the current climate I would be able to make sure every need is met.
I've got 6 empty vivs that have been earmarked for something, and a 5ftx6ftx2ft viv that's been specially built and earmarked for something special but at the moment I wont fill them. I have the finacial backup and the ability, but being sensible about life forces those things to be put on the back-burner for now.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 04/05/2010 : 08:50:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Have you done much research? I just ask as i seen you were only 15 and although im only a few years older than you, a snake that grows to the size a BCI does needs commitment and you need to be sure that you can supply it with everything it needs.

I totally agree with the research issue, but I also agree with Lee that research and EXPERIENCE are 2 totally different things.
Having experience with something means a damn sight more than just research.
I wholeheartedly agree with the BCI thing, as at least there is research getting done and you have a SMALL amount of experience, but unless you have got a fair bit behind you I don't think it should be taken lightly.
I've been keeping snakes since both Josh9961 and Dannybrown weren't even tadpoles, and yet it's only recently I've gone to a BCI, this is not for my lack of wanting one, or for the ability and space to have one, it's totally due to the 'IFs'.
I don't give a shining rectal waste expulsion about people thinking of 'what to do when I go to college' and stuff like that, I think that unless the person wanting it KNOWS it's gonna be a lifetime responsibility, then don't do it.

I would've loved to have had someone look after my children when I decided to go on holiday, or when the missus wanted to go into higher education. But no, it's not like that.

The phrasing 'A dog is for life, not just christmas' springs to mind.

*rant over* for now

I know where your coming from K, and like said research and experience are 2 absolutely different things, and i agree i do have little experience. But i have the upmost confidence that i can look after a larger snake.

I have given it a lot of thought over the past couple of months, and i know that mighn't seem like a long time and i totally understand where your coming from, but i personally feel that i am ready to undertake such a commitment.
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/05/2010 : 03:45:46
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Have you done much research? I just ask as i seen you were only 15 and although im only a few years older than you, a snake that grows to the size a BCI does needs commitment and you need to be sure that you can supply it with everything it needs.

I totally agree with the research issue, but I also agree with Lee that research and EXPERIENCE are 2 totally different things.
Having experience with something means a damn sight more than just research.
I wholeheartedly agree with the BCI thing, as at least there is research getting done and you have a SMALL amount of experience, but unless you have got a fair bit behind you I don't think it should be taken lightly.
I've been keeping snakes since both Josh9961 and Dannybrown weren't even tadpoles, and yet it's only recently I've gone to a BCI, this is not for my lack of wanting one, or for the ability and space to have one, it's totally due to the 'IFs'.
I don't give a shining rectal waste expulsion about people thinking of 'what to do when I go to college' and stuff like that, I think that unless the person wanting it KNOWS it's gonna be a lifetime responsibility, then don't do it.

I would've loved to have had someone look after my children when I decided to go on holiday, or when the missus wanted to go into higher education. But no, it's not like that.

The phrasing 'A dog is for life, not just christmas' springs to mind.

*rant over* for now
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 23:12:22
yeah
Im not too far from there, cheers for the heads up mate. Im off now. Cheers for all the help and info guys
lee2308 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 23:11:11
not sure how close that is to you with out knowing your postcode but there are some very nice ones there and worth a little drive
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 23:04:24
ooh ta :D
Ill give that serious thought :) they look pretty. esp. teh darker one
lee2308 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 23:02:34
here you go josh,heres some bargins for you.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snake-classifieds/508474-baby-boas-sale-essex.html
lee2308 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:46:45
dont get me wrong danny,im not saying your not capable of looking after a boa,it was just a bit of advise They are great snakes and im sure you'll both give them great homes.
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:45:50
how much is all taht costing you on top of the snakey himself?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:44:33
I've already ordered the majority of things i need.

RUB, heatmat, pulse stat, digi therm and a few bits.

All i need is a couple of hides and a nice branch for him to climb on. I will pick the branch up from the shop when i go to get him if i don't find anything before then and will make the hides out of some ice cream tubs or something.
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:38:19
Yeah, I know what you mean, Ill spend it with my nose against the glass (metaphorically) jsut waiting
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:37:07
quote:
Originally posted by josh9961

Oh ill go so click-happy :) theyre gorgeous snakes. Not as colourful as corns, but the patterns and the shape of the head are amazing.

Indeed, they are ambsolutely amazing snakes.

Can't wait to get mine, the 1 week of no handling is going to be like hell lol.

Edit- fixed quote.
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:27:05
Oh ill go so click-happy :) theyre gorgeous snakes. Not as colourful as corns, but the patterns and the shape of the head are amazing.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:25:02
quote:
Originally posted by josh9961

My dad loves them :) He used to be scared, but we worked him off of that. If that fails I have some older brotehrs who would be fine taking care of it. I know it's a big undertaking, but I will try my very ebst to work around any sort of obstacle

Its just one more thing to think about you know. Before i decided to get one i put a lot of thought into what i would or could be doing in the near future as that could have had an affect on my decision.

You will have to make sure you post a few piccies when you get yours. I know i will be.
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:21:57
My dad loves them :) He used to be scared, but we worked him off of that. If that fails I have some older brotehrs who would be fine taking care of it. I know it's a big undertaking, but I will try my very ebst to work around any sort of obstacle
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:20:17
If you are travelling away to university and living in accomodation chances are you wouldn't be able to take your snakes with you. Especially lareger ones which need more viv space.

If this was the case and your snake had to stay at home, how would your parents feel having to feed such a large snake?
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:18:16
Actually yeah, im (fingers crossed) gonna take zoology and herpetology :) Ive always loved reptiles, especially snakes. Now that Ive got soem cash flowing in, I thought I shoudlg et involved with them a bit more.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:14:40
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

As for buying one without a lot of snake experience that is up to you both but research and experience are two different things,even though they are usually docile they do have a mind of their own and can be very powerful when they get big.

Although i only got my first snake in december i do have some experience with larger snakes. My friends dad had a burm for many years which i would often handle.

Plus, everybody has to start somewhere right.

Im quite confident that i will be fine, i have given it a lot of consideration and contemplation.

Josh, do you plan to go to university?

I don't know of any private breeders near me. Im in the Runcorn/Liverpool area.
josh9961 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 22:08:43
Im in hertforshire, right next to bedfordshire north of london

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000