The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 My Rankins Dragon has a lump

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 20/02/2010 : 12:03:26
I’ve just woken Keydo, my Rankins Dragon from brumation for a drink and he has a lump on his shoulder. I've posted on the Rankins Forum asking for ideas of what it could be and what tests I could ask a vet to perform and have had a very helpful response. Does anyone else have any ideas. My husband is very anti the paying of money to a vet so I need to get as much info together as I can before I speak to him about it.

Keydo is 18 months old and brumates a lot. He was last awake from June to September last year when he ate and grew loads then began partial brumation. He ate a little in November when he was partially awake and last pooped on 24 November. Since then he has been sleeping deeply and I wake him every few weeks for a soak in a dish of water and a warm up. He has been refusing food at this time.

There was no lump last time we woke him which I'm shocked to see was 4 January - I don't usually leave him so long before waking him for a drink. He has been sleeping in a really funny position, scrunched up leaning on his back in a corner next to a rock since that time – I don’t know if that could have an affect. When I woke him yesterday apart from the lump, all seems normal. He ate the two waxworms I offered him and had a good soak in a bowl then got himself out and has been walking around normally since then. On return to the viv he had a brief bask on his log and then went back to sleep behind his favourite rock again.

The lump doesn’t move – it feels the same as the other side of his body and he showed no reaction when I touched it. He weighs the same as in November. Any ideas would be gratefully received. We really love this little guy even though he has been awake for so little of the time we’ve owned him so I really hope it’s nothing serious. Thanks, Sam.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 01/06/2010 : 11:27:31
Just thought I'd provide an update on Keydo for anyone interested. Well the lump never returned, he's now woken from brumation and although he's still lazy he is eating well (including veggies for the first time in his life), has begun to put on a little weight again and looks like he's getting ready to shed. It's so lovely to have him back - he's got a great little character and we really miss him when he sleeps so long.

My daughter and I are away this weekend leaving my husband in charge for three days. It'll be the first time he's ever fed Keydo. What's the betting I either return home to a hungry lizard because Mike forgot to feed him or else to a house over run by locust because he's let them all escape.

Just went to take some updated photos and he got really cross. He puffed himself up big time and hissed at me - I've never heard him make a sound before. I guess he must be feeling well if he's that feisty.

I think he looks like a Chameleon in this one!

Sammysnake Posted - 28/02/2010 : 17:10:56
Thanks Kaz, he's doing fine at the moment. For the past few days he was hiding but not fully sleeping so I've had him out for cuddles and a drink and there's still no sign of the lump. He's now gone fully back to sleep.

He's a real cutie and we love him loads but he's such a worry to us, insisting on brumating way too young and for way too long. Snakes are sooooo much easier but if we hadn't got Keydo we would never have gotten to know how amazing snakes are in the first place (the old story of repeat visits to the reptile shop for livefood and being offered cuddles with all the other reps!).
Kazerella Posted - 28/02/2010 : 16:05:16
Good news about the lump- hopefully it was just the way he slept.

Just keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't come back and keep us informed.

Nice dragon by the way
Sammysnake Posted - 20/02/2010 : 16:19:52
Hi Kehhlyr and thanks for replying. It was just behind his shoulder and he's walking fine - I say 'was' as he was still awake just now so I got him up and checked him and the lump's gone! He seems perfectly normal again. I did wonder if it could have been something to do with the way he was sleeping - do you think it's nothing to worry about as it has now disappeared?

His UV is due for a change but he is hiding away from it sleeping anyway. He brumates for an incredibly long time - last time he started when he was just 3 months old even though I did everything I could to stop him. He didn't wake properly until May (6 months later) then off to sleep again in October and he was still out until I disturbed him yesterday! The few months he was awake he ate, grew and shed rapidly but I worry that for at least half of the year he's getting no nutrition even though he doesn't lose any weight whilst sleeping. Boy these guys are a worry aren't they.
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/02/2010 : 12:48:50
If he's been sleeping at a funny angle, theres a chance he's just slightly cut off the blood supply to that area. (kind of like when we fall asleep on our arm).
If he doesn't react to it much, then I wouldn't have thought it'd be causing any huge amount of pain, although maybe some discomfort.

Does he seem to be walking ok on that leg?
Is it actually on his shoulder, or just behind it?
I'm assuming his UV and everything else is going ok?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000