The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 DIY incubator (fairly pic heavy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kehhlyr Posted - 10/02/2010 : 00:19:02
Although I have made this very quickly and roughly for my duck eggs, it would be simple enough to adapt for snakes/other reptiles.

I shall leave it in this section for now as it's not really snake DIY, yet it also wouldn't fit in any of the other sections. Cherry Valley ducks are exotic.

Anyway, I started with an old fridge freezer that a neighbour was gonna throw out:

You have to remove the entire compressor unit from the back, being careful not to de-pressurise it, although it's not a toxic gas in the systems, they're still supposed to be depressurised properly.

I then hacked out all of the innards as well and cut a hole between the top section and the bottom section with a jigsaw. It's untidy, but I'm not into aesthetics, I own a beard.

The section where the power came through for the fridge light makes a handy hole for cables for power supply to heat source and stat.

I would expect most people to use correctly insulated wire if they're gonna do this, but like I said, I own a beard.

I have the stat sat on the shelf where the eggs are going to be, although at the time of taking this photo there's only a shelf there I haven't yet covered it.

This is what you can see when you open the 'freezer' door:

The light heats up the interior of the viv perfectly, although can drop fairly quickly if the door is open for to long.

And this is what the 'fridge' now looks like with the door open:

I have just a standard light fitting (that I found in my garage) with a 100w reflector lamp installed.
It will keep the heat inside the incubator of whatever I set it at, as fridges/freezers are very well insulated and aside from a couple small screw holes for fittings, there are no extra gaps that heat can be lost from.

I have also added an old cctv camera inside so that I can watch any chickies hatching without opening the door and disturbing the heat to much, they're gonna get enough disturbance as it is because duck eggs need to be rotated regularly unlike reptile eggs.

It's now sat at a temp that's fluctuating between 38.5 and 39c so I'm happy with that.

I shall start adding eggs tomorrow.

Like I said, this could be adapted for use as a reptile incubator, but I'm not sure how such a bright light would affect developing embryos for reptiles, maybe use an infrared, or a colour tinted lamp for reptiles.

The total cost for me to make this was nothing.
I had all the odds n sods I needed spare and got given the fridge/freezer.

I next plan to make a co2 chamber without any cost, when/if I do, I shall post piccys and info on that as well.
Although the cost to make might be nothing, the cost of the co2 will still be there.

/quick edit
Forgot to add, that although not shown in these photos, I wasn't guessing at the temps, I took the photos Monday night and only poted them here now, I've got a digi-therm in there, with the probe next to the stat so I know what temp will be where the eggs are.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
devilsmistress Posted - 01/04/2010 : 19:03:44
Oh why do I have to live in a flat! They are to cute!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 11:28:28
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

You may keep the air guitar, and if you're serious about having one, let me know.
The missus is not happy that they're gonna be gassed so any that go will make her chuffed.

Aww, as much as i would love to take one off you i don't think my mum nor my dog would be too happy with a little duckling running around our house. Then my little sister would be constatnly feeding it bits of bread lol.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/04/2010 : 10:17:18
There so cute! If I the room and was able to care for them I would beg to have one or two.

Why are they being gassed? Are they becoming food?
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 09:45:25
You may keep the air guitar, and if you're serious about having one, let me know.
The missus is not happy that they're gonna be gassed so any that go will make her chuffed.
mozacchio Posted - 01/04/2010 : 08:43:03
They are too cute..!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 01:23:18
Aww i want one, how about you give me number 15 and i'll send you the air guitar back
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 00:46:51
This is the little brown one my missus has decided she wants to keep, it's imprinted on her fairly well so that when it hears her voice it'll squeak away until she picks it up, then it falls asleep in her hands.

And some more of them.

Unfortunately not all of the eggs hatched, 3 of the ducklings pipped but didn't get out of the eggs quick enough so they snuffed it partway through hatching, and some of the eggs didn't develop properly.
We had 16 hatch in total, so had losses of a third. Considering that the incubator was hashed together fairly quickly it was a lot more successful than I thought it would have been. 66% hatch rate by using a fridge and a 1930's thermostat attached to a light bulb is good going.
Sta~ple Posted - 31/03/2010 : 15:32:34
AWWWWWWW there so cute x.x Ducklings also make the cutest noises
n/a Posted - 31/03/2010 : 14:01:25
oh toooo cute, i want one or two or three!!! oh god i'm off again..lol
crazy JJ Posted - 29/03/2010 : 13:28:07
awwww so cute... i want one lol... hmmmm might not survive with my cat mind but there soooooo cute :D
Kehhlyr Posted - 29/03/2010 : 00:54:10
I was referring to the wad of cash for a 'donation' that you gave me towards the cost of emailing the winner their Air Guitar.
It was just pure coincidence that you ahppened to win.

Sorry Kellog cannot remember when 7 hatched, but I can tell you that he is no longer with me. A couple came today and took him home.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 28/03/2010 : 19:00:01
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Wayyy, my little half time talk worked hehe.

The wad of cash helped more.

Sshhh, they'll know we cheated.
HannahB Posted - 28/03/2010 : 09:37:38
awwwwww iccle duckies are soooo cute
Kellog Posted - 28/03/2010 : 05:13:28
So any idea when 7 hatched?? Knowing my luck it was one of the last, if not the last to appear !

Congrats Danny - cant wait to see the pics of you playing your prize !!

How are the ducklings doing Kehhlyr? They look gorgeous! Your flat must be so noisy with all of them!

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 28/03/2010 : 00:57:26
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

The wad of cash helped more.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 23:36:17
quote:

The first one out was number 15, so Dannybrown91 will shortly be the proud owner of a brand new air guitar!!

All I need is your email address and I shall send it to you, but you have to provide pics of you playing it.

Kehhlyr Posted - 27/03/2010 : 23:03:45
The first one out was number 15, so Dannybrown91 will shortly be the proud owner of a brand new air guitar!!

All I need is your email address and I shall send it to you, but you have to provide pics of you playing it.

mozacchio Posted - 27/03/2010 : 15:35:37
Come on!
Announce the winner..!
Please?
Tizzy Posted - 27/03/2010 : 15:00:23
How cute is that!!!!!!
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/03/2010 : 04:18:39
I can tell you it wasn't number 25.

And now I'm going pull my duvet up and watch some telly.
G'night.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000