The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 calci sand and leopard geckos

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 07/01/2010 : 18:02:39
we got a leopard gecko and setup for xmas. she had wood chippings in her viv because her owner said theyr cheaper. we bought some calci sand from the petshop on theyr reccomendation. cleaned her out and put the sand in but iv just checked on her and shes sat in her hide eatin the sand! is this safe? iv taken her out of the viv until i know for sure. thanks xx
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:21:59
Lol, talking about fridging crix, the first timeI fed Ee her crix I put them in the freezer instead, abit too long and Elle had Cricket lollies for tea, lmao. Not really I did thaw them out before feeding, and they were all still alive believe it or not.

rose2191 - Just remove the Calci sand, if she is only a baby/juvie switch to paper towel, nothing easier thats for sure, or cheaper. Then when it is older, say ... about 8 months switch to play sand if you want a natural looking viv. Aso, if you dust your feeders properly at meal times and keep a small bottle top of pure calcium in the viv at all times you shouldn't have a problem. Another thing you can try is... carpet tiles, just go down Focus (DIY) and grab 4 tiles, cut them to size. 2 In the viv and 2 spare. Easy to clean as well. Just get a colour that looks natural, and also don't get ones that have adhesive backing either as you might have issues with the heat mat melting the glue cuasing toxicity issue.

Kehhlyr - So you're looking at something that is high as an egg cup, and sturdy enough for the Leo to lean on and get in there? I tried coaxing her into a jar that I use to cool them, but she wasn't having none of it, lol. Probably thinks I will lock her in and fridge her to.
reptiledanny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 18:40:24
no, it is not good. it will eat it because there is calcium in it, don't let it, it will cause impaction if it carries on to eat it.
Kehhlyr Posted - 10/01/2010 : 17:49:25
I fridge them and put them in a steep sided smooth bowl.
The smoothness stops them getting a good footing to jump out or crawl out.

Plus removal of the back legs is a good one to use as well, they can't just either so if any do escape it's not as hard for the Leos to catch them.
LittleMick Posted - 10/01/2010 : 06:11:27
DON'T PANIC - Calci sand is recommended for the larger lizards like Bosk Monitors and the like it supposedly helps them with digestion. But Calci sand is definitely NOT recommended for Leos/Dragons or any other smaller herps.

Kehhlyr - When you are feeding crix to your Leo are you using a feeding tray? If so do your crix not do a runner? Reason I ask is, I am planning on switching my Elle (Leo) from carpet tiles to sand, and although I won't be buying Calci sand, I'm still worried she may swallow some when striking for the crix. My plan was, during feeding time I would make room on the viv floor and lay some carpet tile down for her and put the crix on that, after an hour in the fridge to slow them down.
n/a Posted - 08/01/2010 : 19:43:01
omg! why are they still allowed to sell it? worse than sellin ****nic flavoured chocolate in my opinion! Savannah's on newspaper until i can get into town, she wasnt on the sand for too long so hopefully there'l be no problems because of it xx
PunkAsF82 Posted - 08/01/2010 : 12:50:30
REMOVE IT!!!

ugh. i hate pet shops sometimes. ****** useless!
Cali Sand is extremely dangerous for all reps. It causes impaction and and be potentially fatal for your lizard!

Warning: Don't look if you have a weak stomach or are eating dinner! But here's some examples of what happens when impaction occurs ...

http://www.myoops.org/twocw/tufts/courses/5/content/D215709/C38926.jpg
http://mrskingsbioweb.com/DragonDissection/dragondissection52.JPG
http://mrskingsbioweb.com/DragonDissection/dragondissection50.JPG

Sorry but it needs to be shown!
Well done for asking Rose
Tizzy Posted - 08/01/2010 : 09:32:21
Tha sand debate could go on forever and yes it says reccomended on the packet but i really wouldn't take the risk, especially if you've already seen the leo eating it. My leos have either orchid bark or newspaper.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/01/2010 : 01:33:57
Sand is a big quibble for a vast amount of reps, but calci sand is the worst.
They lick it and taste the calcium and then eat more, unfortunately it isn't digestible like the claims on the packs.

I use sand in my Leo tank, but I use playsand (£2.99 for 15kg at argos).
I just make sure I have a totally and deep dishes for food etc, because then food can't get out onto the sand.
Sammysnake Posted - 07/01/2010 : 19:32:05
I saw one reptile supplies site which posted on its home page that it would only sell products they felt were safe for animals and would definitely NOT stock Calci Sand. I have a Rankins Dragon and have been told to steer well clear of the stuff as it encourages the animals to eat it and as eeji said, it can lead to impaction and death. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Washed play sand is fine for Rankins (don't know about Leos) as it doesn't taste yummy to encourage the animals to eat it and if they do accidentally ingest a bit, the grains are small enough to move through the GI tract with no problems.

Hope this helps.
eeji Posted - 07/01/2010 : 19:20:36
calci sand isn't really recommended for anything other than maybe filling holes in the ground :(

I don't know too much about leos, but have read plenty of horror stories about geckos and calci sand - theres even a few post mortem photos knocking about on t'internet that show calci sand causing gut impaction which has been the cause of death. Based on this alone, its not something I'd personally use.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000