The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Bearded Dragons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chimp276 Posted - 16/12/2009 : 19:04:57
Ok my brother is thinking about getting bearded dragons.
Can you tell me everything he would need for a set up as i no the ppl on here are much more dependable then help guides on the internet lol!

what i really want to know is what substrate to use, and what heating equipment will be needed! Thank you all lol!!

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 20/12/2009 : 16:31:30
Just thought I would add as I have two bearded dragons myself. eeji is spot on with the size of viv but I use a bulb for heating on a dimmer stat, the type of stat is important one so the light isent going on and off all the time but also for the life of the bulb. A fancy spotlight bulb is not required as the ones you get in grocerie or hardware shops are just fine. You will need a UV bulb, which your pet shop can provide you. This needs to stretch the hole length of the viv. UV spot bulbs are not great and can really hurt your beardies eyes. we step our bulbs comeing on in the morning with the heat bulb comeing on first and then the UV, mimicing sunrise, then at night UV gose off first then heat bulb, mimicing sunset. The heat gose off over night and is fine as long as the viv stays around 70. Daytime temps of 85-90. We keep ours on sand which gets spot cleaned everyday and completely changed once a month, B and Q kids play sand is fine as its clean, safe, and cheap! At around £4 for a very big heavy bag. they have rocks and big pieces of wood to purch in both the cool end and the hot end. Water should be provided and kept in the cool end. They wont necessarily drink it but may bath in it. I have only seen my female drink once! Food can consist of crix or locust, mealworms are not good for there digestion but are prob ok occassionally, wax worm as a rare treat (they are lizard chocolate and if they get them to often they may refuse to eat anything else, not very nutricious), bugs need to be dusted with calcium powder and vitimans. Hope this helps but you can message me if you wont to know more.
eeji Posted - 17/12/2009 : 22:44:23
this is how we have ours set up (in a 4' x 2' x 2'):

Heating: 150 ceramic emitter in ceramic holder with heat resistant cable. Controlled by microclimate pulse stat, monitered by digital thermometers. Heating is on 24/7 so no need for a mat.

Lighting: 36" (30W) 10% UV fluorescent tube, linked to a timer to turn on and off automatically.

Substrate: Newspaper

Kehhlyr Posted - 17/12/2009 : 19:21:45
You need a separate UV and heat bulb.

The heat bulb will need to be on a dimmer stat.
Chimp276 Posted - 17/12/2009 : 19:10:41
ok i will have a mat statted to around 20, i have a spare mat and stat anyway.

What is the best way to give the UV light, would you recommend a heat bulb with UV or a sperate UV source?
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/12/2009 : 05:29:44
I'm sorry, but unless the viv is gonna be somewhere that gets particularly cold at night (conservatory etc) then a heat mat is not necessary.

I used to have one in mine when they were housed in the conservatory, but with night time temps getting incredibly low in there, mine was statted at 20c. You wouldn't want it anymore than that.
LittleMick Posted - 16/12/2009 : 23:48:27
I haven't visited Skorps link, but just in case the forum doesn't include the info, you need to be aware of particulated substrates, i.e. sand, wood chip and the like. Mainly in young/baby BD's, this is because of the risk of impaction. It's generally recommended that you not use particulated substartes until they are sub adult and even then you need to make sure it doesn't contain any calcium, BD's need calcium and if they can't find it in their food sources they will eat it from the sand if it contains it.

Heat Source - To quickly summarise any caresheets you may read, you need a heat mat for general heat, and a spot light for a basking light. Exact specs and temps etc can be found on any caresheets.
n/a Posted - 16/12/2009 : 19:19:49
You could ask here also-

http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/index.php

And there is a Beardie Club :)

xXx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000