The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 A Heartfelt Tribute to Mojo....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
angriesthedgehog Posted - 10/06/2012 : 01:36:25

I will never forget the day I first saw Mojo. He was walking down the garden path with huge fluffy cheeks and a painfully thin body. I put my hand on the door handle and remember hoping he would not run off if I opened the door. I needn’t have worried; the second I touched the door handle he stopped and looked at me and when I went outside he trotted over and greeted me.

We only had some cat biscuits at the time and I offered him a few. He was too shy to let me touch him, but let me sit and watch him eat the food. I counted all his ribs and his hips stuck out. One ear was torn and his face was covered in old fight scars. When he finished the food he trotted off up the garden, pausing only to spray our plants.

A few days later he was back, and I offered him some more food. He was obviously a stray or at the very least very neglected and soon he popped round every morning for food, before disappearing again. Over the next few weeks, his visits became longer, he would stay and wash his paws and face first, then he would stay for a few mins by the fireplace before departing. I could touch him now, and every morning he greeted he with his chirps and mauwing. I nicknamed him “the silver cat” due to his grey fur.

Unable to find an owner, I put a collar on with a note asking if his owner could phone me, thinking that they would at least remove it if he had a home. The collar remained. After a couple more weeks, he was now visiting a few times a day, so one day I shut him inside and the next I took him to be neutered. He had no microchip, so I chipped him and took him in.

A few days after his operation, he managed to escape; he disappeared for over a week and I was crestfallen. I had only known him a few weeks, but he had already made a deep impression. I was always up at the crack of dawn waiting, and my days were tearful.

Eight days later he returned unharmed, and from that day he never once left my side. The bond between us was strong and I eventually named him “Mojo” a name meaning “magic” and “wanderer” which suited him to the ground. Every morning he woke me up, every night he slept on my pillow or touching me. If I went out, he followed and waited round the corner until I returned, greeting me with his characteristic “barks.”

He started following me to my other half’s place, but would stop halfway and cry pitifully as he did not want to go so far. I often picked him up and carried him the rest of the way. He became close friends with my Oh’s house cat. Joy Joy, and he schemed with him; holding the door open so he would be let into the garden, and afterwards, Joy Joy would leave him tit bits as payment.

He followed me and my OH everywhere and would cry if we argued, going from one to the other until we made up and comforting us when we were upset.

People often commented on his behaviour, and more than once they would say “I don’t know what it is, but there is something special about Moj” and there truly was. Never have I known a cat or any animal to show such devotion, loyalty and love, and he was like a little guardian angel.

Unfortunately, his time was limited from the start; he suddenly became forlorn and depressed, and was unable to settle. He stopped eating and drinking and, suspecting a possible tooth problem, I booked him in at the vets. That morning I stroked him and felt lumps on both sides of his body. The vet bills for getting tests done were too high, and I had not long ago had my savings stolen from me, so with a heavy heart I brought him back home. Once home I began ringing charities and various organisations and friends asking for help, to be turned down one by one. I entered a plea for help on the forums and got support and advice as well as an amazing offer.

That night we did not sleep and sat up crying and holding him, I knew he was dying and the helplessness was overwhelming. In the morning I got a reply from the Celia Hammond centre who said they could help. We took Moj on the bus and train to the centre in Lewisham as his last hope. He perked up on the journey looking out the windows and looking genuinely content, despite the terrible weather – pouring rain and strong winds! At the centre, the vet felt his sides and warned us that it was bad, but offered to do the tests and ultrasound anyway in the hope there was something we could do to help, or at least get a diagnosis.

Waiting was terrible, watching others bring in and take away their pets with a horrible bitterness that my Mojo was not likely to make it. Our fears were realised when the tests came back. Mojo had both FIV (feline HIV) and leukemia and had most likely contracted it before his neuter. As a result, he had massive tumors in both kidneys, resulting in kidney failure. There was nothing left but to let him go.

Sobbing, me and my OH held him, stroked him and spoke to him as he took his last breath and departed this world.

We brought his body home and I combed his fur, wrapping him up in a blanket with his favourite things and laying his body to rest in his spot in the garden.

I will never forget Mojo, who came to us already marked, and we never knew he was fated to die so young. He was four years old and with us for less than three, but he left us the most happy memories and he will always be remembered in our hearts.

Run free Mojo, I will never forget you, and all you did in your short life for me. You were and will always be our little guardian angel. Sleep tight xx

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Isoldael Posted - 29/06/2012 : 00:32:39
Lovely tribute, rest in piece, Mojo.
Corrah Posted - 28/06/2012 : 20:33:12
Beautiful tribute for a special cat. He will be forever in your heart. You gave him extra years he never would have had.

My thoughts are with you.

C xx
IncurableFlirt Posted - 28/06/2012 : 02:50:24
I am so very sorry for Mojo's passing. The truly great ones never stay on this earth for very long....I firmly believe it is because they already are the best and didn't have that much to learn. Rest in peace, little Mojo.
EmSquem Posted - 26/06/2012 : 22:15:27
Nearly cried :( RIP Mojo x
Katie.Dublin Posted - 19/06/2012 : 19:13:51
Its been a couple of months since we lost our puddy cat of 14 years but I still think I can hear her meowing every so often. They really are full of personality and character and im very sorry to hear about your poor fellow. xx
Kez Posted - 19/06/2012 : 09:00:59
Wow, I'm in pieces here and crying like a baby such a beautiful tribute to Mojo and your love for him really shines through. It sounds like you had a magical friendship and he obviously knew he was going to be safe and well loved when he sought you out

So sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Mojo; enjoy chasing the birds in the sky
yola Posted - 18/06/2012 : 22:50:19
Ahhhhhhh im so sorry to see this sad news
Rest in the knowleage that you helped him and gave him a home,showed him love, affection, devotion, (the list could go on) all of wich if it wasnt for you he would never have known or experienced. He was with you for a short while but has obviously left you with wonderful memories, treasure them.
I honestly dont know what id do if i lost one of mine (i have 8 and thats not including the 7 4wk old kittens lol, all my cats are completely soppy and spoilt rotton).
Thinking of you
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/06/2012 : 11:25:24
So sorry to hear this, your beautiful story brought a lump to my throat. A lovely cat that obviously had a lovely life.

RIP Mojo and much love for you, your other Half and Joy Joy. xxxx
Sta~ple Posted - 12/06/2012 : 21:06:29
Sorry to hear that :( R.I.P
Dancross0 Posted - 12/06/2012 : 18:33:48
Awww. Sorry.

I read this last night, but didn't reply. I had to find my boy and give him some fuss.

Lovely tribute. RIP Mojo.
smart bunny Posted - 11/06/2012 : 21:57:10
I'm so sorry for your loss RIP Mojo xxx
Blackcat Posted - 11/06/2012 : 20:45:43
A very moving tribute. So sorry for your loss, but you gave Mojo a chance and love in his short time with you.
You have some lovely photos of him and he will remain forever in your memories. RIP Mojo.
Laws Posted - 11/06/2012 : 17:31:26

Lovely tribute , so sorry for your loss , run and play free mojo
Hissyfit Posted - 11/06/2012 : 11:28:44
What a lovely touching tribute to your beautiful boy. Well done for giving him such a loving home after a terrible start in life. Sleep well Mojo
lupi lou Posted - 11/06/2012 : 10:37:13
that is a beautiful tribute, so sorry for your loss, like others the pictures had me in tears. sounds like you both had an amazing bond, my thoughs are with you and our oh.
kdlang Posted - 10/06/2012 : 21:16:25
Thank you so much for sharing Mojo's story with us at what must be a really difficult time for you. You truely gave him a wonderful secure and happy life and made his last couple of years worth living. Well done for the love, time and affection that you put into him when many would have ignored him.

Run free over Rainbow Bridge Mojo xx
Lozzy Posted - 10/06/2012 : 19:25:19
Absolutly lovely tribute another one who had tears in her eyes whilst reading!

RIP obv well loved mojo, atleast you can be pain free now

Sending my deepest sympathy to you and your OH X
343guiltyspark Posted - 10/06/2012 : 17:40:34
quote:
Originally posted by QueenVic

Made me cry :(
At least he had an amazing life!

and you have wonderful pictures of him as a reminder.
RIP little guy. Ave.

it made me cry too

QueenVic Posted - 10/06/2012 : 17:11:28
Made me cry :(
At least he had an amazing life!

and you have wonderful pictures of him as a reminder.
RIP little guy. Ave.

a33272 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 16:34:03
That's such a touching read hayley. You gave him the chance to live longer when you toke him in by the sounds of it. Xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000