The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 oh wants a king snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sue2012 Posted - 07/05/2012 : 16:40:04
hi all i have 6 corns but now mu oh has decided that he really wants o king snake i know nothing about them he has been reading so much on them for weeks now he wants a black and white one (see i cant even tell u what morph that is lol) what i want to know is how are kings snake to have as pets are they an easy snake to keep what temps should they be at i have 2 kids will they be able to handle the snake if we got one etc etc etc and also what morph is the black and white ones lol ty for all help x
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a2c7 Posted - 08/05/2012 : 10:28:09
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

quote:
Originally posted by a2c7

We keep Ginn who earlier today tried to eat my OH's stomach. She didn't get too far and it was too cute to see her try! (she had nuzzled under his top and was hungry..as usual)

I thought you were gonna say she tried to eat his nipple! I would have guffawed so hard heehee

I really wouldn't be shocked if she did manage to somehow get him there, but so far we've avoided her getting to that area.
Sta~ple Posted - 08/05/2012 : 08:57:31
Pure black and white will be a high white cali king, normal calis are creamy colour.

I only have one but he is a lovely guy :) much nicer to handle than a corn, more active, never hides. I keep mine exactly like a corn, thought this may mean I ma get hungry bites from him since people feed their kings more often than corns sometimes but he's been a lovely guy. I just up my temps to 31c. As for your kids to handle, it depends on the king I guess. Mines a relaxed dude but he can have his freaky moments when he's biting himself. He was once slithering on a log and fell off so jumped, bit himself. He also can hiss at stuff randomly, like my sister waking past the viv (top viv), when he was on a lowwer viv he would his and try and strike the cats tail, and he loves to sometimes hiss at his plants! I would not hold it after you have touched a corn though, that's for sure! They also love to trash their vivs. After a viv clean, he will rearrange his stuff, musk as now it smells too fresh in there or something, sometimes it looks like he rolls in his own musk? In about the year and a half I have had my MBK, I have been bitten twice, he's an adult and all were bites relating to being just fed or me not washing my hands after touching a corn.

Ozzy loves having his head stroked :P
Mamma Posted - 08/05/2012 : 08:43:52
quote:
Originally posted by a2c7

We keep Ginn who earlier today tried to eat my OH's stomach. She didn't get too far and it was too cute to see her try! (she had nuzzled under his top and was hungry..as usual)

I thought you were gonna say she tried to eat his nipple! I would have guffawed so hard heehee
nickyff Posted - 07/05/2012 : 23:39:19
we have two banded cali kings- a big massive soppy one and a little baby numpty one that cant strike straight-

I was warned about them being 'bitey' but tbh, spot is the most amiable gentle lovely thing... (unless its dinner time in which case you do NOT get between her and her mouse)
I once offered her her mouse through the viv door (she absolutely refuses to eat in a rub) and the strike/coil was so violent that half her body ended up hanging out of the viv- she was thrashing about trying to murder an already dead mouse,while I was frantically trying to stuff four feet of wild waggling snake back in through a six inch gap...

kings are a lot braver than corns- they don't seem to hide away .. I spose being cannibalistic they're not really scared of much- but it makes for a more interesting viv to glance across the room at- there's usually something daft going on inside.
definitely recommended
smart bunny Posted - 07/05/2012 : 21:33:23
Lol at the crazy/downright thick king stories!!!
a2c7 Posted - 07/05/2012 : 21:21:05
We keep Ginn who earlier today tried to eat my OH's stomach. She didn't get too far and it was too cute to see her try! (she had nuzzled under his top and was hungry..as usual) Kings will keep you on your toes and seem to be naturally bitey youngsters. Ginn is ~18 months and such a character. She is always out and about in her viv and is dim as a blown light bulb. We have her out to handle (she comes out on her own if you open the glass) and after a while she just gets bored and decides to eat the nearest thing - today this included her tail, it obviously looked suspicious and was following her.

She misses when she strikes at her food, but when she does get it (defrosted smalls) she makes sure it's good and dead and then puts on a show for us while eating. I don't think she'll ever miss a feed, her life seems to revolve around meals.

She does strike occasionally but only when you startle her, generally if she's going to bite you you'll recognise her behaviour and be able to distract her/put her away before it happens as she's certainly biting to try and eat and latches on until we put her head under running water.

She's a cali kingsnake so black and white striped like your OH wants. Funnily enough it was my OH that wanted Ginn and he got his way, I'm so glad he did - she's so cute with all her attempts to eat us!

I should note - she doesn't always bite and quite often comes out of the viv for a friendly 'walk' around us and the areas we let her without any problems. When she does bite she's just about able to draw blood if she latches on, on the rare occasions she strikes she normally misses anyway.
lupi lou Posted - 07/05/2012 : 18:32:42
[/quote]
Thing is he had I assume been in his water bowl prior to being handled (with airsoft gloves hahaha) and when he struck, he spat out half a tonne of bubbly water... of course hubby who doesnt really know much about snakes thought he was spitting venom at me haha. [/quote]

lol

i can see how some one who didn't know much about snakes could be mistaken by the spray of water!! least you found him a nice home. i know who to turn to if i ever end up with a totaly mental king now
Mamma Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:25:54
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

we must have droped lucky with the one at work then! he's a rescue and he's got a fantastic temp, the corn at work has more 'tude then him lol, although of late he has turned into a right food monster!!

lmao. We had an albino cali who was crazy. He wasnt very big but packed a punch. He was rehomed after I got out of hosp cos he managed to escape during my hubby's attempt at feeding them. Hubby petrified of the snakes as it is and then this bitey cali king got out. He got him back quite quickly but i ended up with 8 missed calls on my mobile after midnight on the hospital ward from him lol.

Long time before that I had a south florida king. The guy told me temperament was ace etc. Went to view it a few times before def buying it from him (he claimed he needed it rehomed as he was only allowed to keep his bosc) This snake was soooo viv defensive it was unreal. It started about a week after I brought him home etc.

He was viv defensive to the point if anyone even walked past he would stricke with such force and throw himself off of the viv glass. We ended up moving him to a quieter room. thinking this might help. But it didnt. The last straw for hubby was when I got him out one day and he flipped out striking at me etc (I was used to it but hubby hadnt really seen him in all his striking glory) Thing is he had I assume been in his water bowl prior to being handled (with airsoft gloves hahaha) and when he struck, he spat out half a tonne of bubbly water... of course hubby who doesnt really know much about snakes thought he was spitting venom at me haha. Anyhoo.. Gmac helped me rehome him to someone who took in "mental snakes". We figured out the guy had been keeping the snake cold so it seemed like it was placid. Just so he could get it rehomed. Its a shame too cos he was a beautiful beast. Absolutely stunning.

Not all kings are like this. As I said Mim is a total puppy dog. An absolute dream. Cosmo is a bit skittish when you go into his housing... but once out hes such a character. And hes never shown me any sign of aggression at all xx
lupi lou Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:07:32
we must have droped lucky with the one at work then! he's a rescue and he's got a fantastic temp, the corn at work has more 'tude then him lol, although of late he has turned into a right food monster!!
Mamma Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:02:45
kings can be insane. I have had a couple of insane ones. But then they can also be fine. Mim and Cosmo are fantastic temperament wise etc. I would suggest joining up to www.thekingsnake.co.uk

There are several morphs of "black and white kings" you get cali kings, banded cali kings etc. He will have to decide which one hes after.
lupi lou Posted - 07/05/2012 : 17:00:42
we have a banded cali king at work and he's lovely, i have said that he should come and live with me! have you had a look on thekingsnake.co.uk theres loads of info on there. if i remember right temps for king snakes are between 27 and 32. i keep asking the o/h if we can add a cali king to the collection.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000