The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Some Boa questions :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redshift Spec Posted - 29/04/2012 : 22:17:10
'ooooh knowledgeable ones'

I'm after some advice;

Temps - Do i measure my temps from just above the substrate or half way up the viv? So if the mid point is meant to be 33 does the ground have to be 33 as well or should it be slightly less?

Humidity, is it important or can I just leave it. atm my humidity is around 30/40%. Can I leave it at that or do I need to start misting her viv to get it to 50/60%?

Food - Will a boa refuse rats after eating a mouse? If so how can I tempt her into eating rats again? The last thing she ate was a mouse fluff and my first feed she is refusing a rat pup.

Cheers
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 03/05/2012 : 21:50:42
very cool

Also your account on TRB has been activated so you should be able to log in now ;)
Redshift Spec Posted - 03/05/2012 : 21:30:16
She refused mouse scented rats but snapped up a plain old rat pup with gusto.... Then tried eating it sideways :p
Mamma Posted - 02/05/2012 : 14:53:31
Temps on the ground. Humidity for mine isnt a problem. She sheds fine etc.

Try scenting the mouse with the rat pup. even braining the rat pup and squeeeezing the brain juices onto the mouse. I did this with my hognose when she went off feeds. She would only take rat pups. It worked for me and shes now taking mice xx
a2c7 Posted - 02/05/2012 : 10:53:11
I'm also new to owning a boa so would love to see some of these questions answered but here is what I've researched and been told so far:

Temps - on the ground, where the snake is. My boa sits pretty at 32degrees on her hot end. We've ordered a ceramic for her though as the rest of the viv isn't keeping hot enough with a matt.

Humidity - not so sure on this one but our house runs high naturally at 50-60%. I saw someone else ask this on the other forum and they were told to mist or provide a damp hide around shed time.

Refusing food - it's generally suggested with larger snakes to get them onto the larger food types early. I've not fed Aysha yet but she's been on 2 fluffs but her feeding records say she took a rat pup a couple of weeks ago so I'm going to try them first. (She stole it off the plate as the keeper was going around feeding all the snakes) Perhaps you could brain a pinky and smear that all over the rat pup?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000