The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Heat mat problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 26/04/2012 : 13:19:41
We have just set up an exo terra terrarium ready for a pair of Whites Tree Frogs but am ahaving problems with heat mat. Mat is on the outside of the glass on the side and covers most of that side and has polysterene covering it. Mat measures 22" x 11" its on a stat. The stat probe is inside the tank against the glass where the heat mat is. I'm using a digital thermometer, when the thermometer probe is against the glass it reads high 30c to low 40c if I move the themometer probe just an inch away from the glass it drops to 23c. The glass itself feels really really hot and I would be worried if a frog decided to sit against it. I'm thinking that maybe we will have to use a light to provide good ambient temps for them. I'm looking to achieve a temp of 29c during the day and a drop to about 23-24c at night. Can any of you make any suggestions that they help or any advice on using a light for the frogs.

Thanks.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Georgina Posted - 26/04/2012 : 14:29:24
I'm not sure, maybe if there is heat coming from below and from the side it will retain more of it?
Red123 Posted - 26/04/2012 : 14:27:06
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

Maybe putting it on the side, and if there's the eco soild and bark would that not help bring the temps up as it would heat that x

The heat mat is on the side. I did wonder whether to try and use one underneath as well but I don't think it will make much difference with the 2 inches of substrate.
Georgina Posted - 26/04/2012 : 14:17:13
Maybe putting it on the side, and if there's the eco soild and bark would that not help bring the temps up as it would heat that x
Red123 Posted - 26/04/2012 : 14:14:45
quote:
Originally posted by cobweb251

are you using a thermostat..... can you not just turn it down?

The mat is on a thermostat and yes I could turn it down. However this will not only drop the temperature of the glass but also the temperature overall which is what I want to increase.
cobweb251 Posted - 26/04/2012 : 14:07:20
are you using a thermostat..... can you not just turn it down?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000