The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 UK site selling silkworms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ozziesmum Posted - 25/02/2012 : 10:45:52
Hi all

after being told that my little Tripod is bordering on obese and to put him on a strict diet some serious thought had to go into his feeding schedule, the big problem is that he will only eat mealies so after many many hours searching for a uk site selling silkworms my patience has finally paid off, I placed an order and 2 days later they arrived all very much alive and very plump and juicy and the big bonus Tripod loves them so hopefully after a few weeks of 1 mealie and 2 silkies a day he should be back to his nice trim figure.

Eggs are readily available but silkworms are about as common as rocking horse poo. I did have one go at hatching some eggs but they were kept in the airing cupboard and the stat failed and cooked the eggs but I've now got some more eggs and will have another go with my new set up, but I have read that it is quite difficult still nothing ventured and all that.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ozziesmum Posted - 27/02/2012 : 09:57:38
Thanks lotabob that will be brilliant.
lotabob Posted - 27/02/2012 : 00:55:56
The silkworms are a good high protein low fat food and they are slow moving too so it will give Tripod a chance. I've actually just started a colony of these squishies I'll give you a shout when they are been productive and do you a better deal on them. I've also got meal worms, wax worms, and roaches but again they aren't quite ready.
ozziesmum Posted - 26/02/2012 : 15:28:36
Hi Mamma, 72 grams at 7 months, I've put a couple of photos on another topic if you want to have a look.
Mamma Posted - 26/02/2012 : 14:27:21
I didnt realise mealies were fatty for them. I knew waxworms are. Whats the wee dude weighing in at? xxx
nusnakemum Posted - 25/02/2012 : 19:05:26
thank you very much x
ozziesmum Posted - 25/02/2012 : 18:19:17
Hi nusnakemum, Tripod would only eat mealies but I was told on leopard gecko forum that they are quite high in fat so was advised to feed silkies and mealies but I couldn't find anywhere in the UK that sold them. This is the site I eventually found www.silkfarm.co.uk and Tripod loves them.

I'll start another topic with a photo and ask on here if Tripod looks as if he is verging on obese then you can compare.
nusnakemum Posted - 25/02/2012 : 15:19:09
what is decided as obese for a leopard gecko ??? worry a bit about our Mrs T, is just eating mealies not enough ? Mrs T has mostly mealies with occasional locusts and waxworms

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000