The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Rescue Beardie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Emmy1 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 20:05:49
My Dad brought this big boy home today. He belonged to my Dad's boss' son, and when he went to university, he left his Dad in charge of his husbandary. Unfortunately, my Dad's boss has been ill for a long time now, and it finally came to a head with a huge stroke 2 weeks ago. Thankfully, he is recovering well and although he makes very little sense right now, all he is worried about is getting the Beardie somewhere to be looked after. He knew we kept reptiles, and managed to communicate eventually that he wants us to have him. I'm unsure if he wants us to keep hold of the Beardie or just while he's ill, but for now I just hope he recovers.

So the Beardie arrived tonight and although the boss has tried his best with him, he is in quite poor condition. His enclosure is open topped and all of the electrical equipment is on the blink. I'm using my missing corn's heat matt on him now and he is close to the radiator for extra warmth. I'll sort out lighting asap.

This isn't my first rescue Beardie so I'm confident he'll bounce back into lovely condition. Although thin and a little lethargic from inadequate heat, he is gentle. He is a little flinchy but I'm sure that is all down to the car journey/ move.

Seeing as my female rescue beardie is called Ned, we've decided to name him Ted. They will be housed seperately.

Ted:

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Emmy1 Posted - 10/01/2012 : 12:03:29
He is generally very sweet and rather timid, so I'm thinking it's fear rather than aggression, but sometimes it comes from nowhere. He's getting better and I'm noticing a little weight gain which is brilliant!
Mort13 Posted - 06/01/2012 : 11:51:21
Marvellous your dads boss has bounced back so quick!

Hopefully the aggression thing will pass. I never had any issues with my male but someone I knew had a male that would become aggressive to her once a month......if you get my drift. There was never an issue any other time and never an issue with her boyfriend.
Emmy1 Posted - 05/01/2012 : 22:17:03
My Dad's boss is back to work! Couldn't believe it when he told me. Unfortunately, his mind is working quite slow, so he's behind in conversations, but on his feet none the less.

Ted is really thriving, but now he is healthy there are signs of aggression were there wasn't before in his lethargy. He's getting better. He really loves having the run of the living room and clambering up onto the couch.
herriotfan Posted - 05/01/2012 : 17:12:37
He's a lovely looking little guy...I'm sure he'll flourish well with you. Fingers crossed that your dad's boss makes a good, speedy recovery. I find that locusts and mealworms work best with my beardies.
Emmy1 Posted - 05/01/2012 : 12:43:23
Locusts usually get beardies back eating. It worked with Ted here.
Everything I feed my beardies gets completely coated in nutrobol powder, so they all look like snow white blobs running around. Without the powder disguise Ted gets very fussy. He won't touch crickets without the powder. I think it's a case of experimenting. Try some locusts, meal worms, possibly wax worms but they are very fatty and should be fed as a treat.
purplehay1978 Posted - 05/01/2012 : 12:25:26
Have you any tips on hoe to get a beardoe to eat bugs? I rescued two of them three days ago. They're 15 weeks old and have beem thru the wars. Their wee tails are nipped and one has a long claw missing from her back feet....they eat greens ok but they won't eat anythug else. I'm getting worried they're not ratif enough. One eats crickets occassionally but the other completely refuses! Pls help!
Hissyfit Posted - 14/12/2011 : 21:01:44
He's lovely, well done for taking hin on Hope your Dad's boss will be alright, at least it's something less for him to worry about now while he recovers
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/12/2011 : 17:12:30
Lol, would like to see him waving to himself!
Emmy1 Posted - 14/12/2011 : 14:02:52
Thank you!
Sorting out his tank as best I can today. He was on this wierd sand that was ridiculously dusty and dying everything red, including his little paws, so I've removed all of that and put him on newspaper. Managed to get the UV he came with working, so he is much brighter in himself. Washed down all his logs and rocks and nuked them in the oven so I'm confident they're clean and parasite free now.

Going to give him a quick bath soon.

I've learnt he is a little bit of a dork, as he waves at his own reflection in the glass! Such a cutie!
adamasrc Posted - 13/12/2011 : 23:07:20
nice name!
Emmy1 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 23:01:50
He's a smashing little Beardie. Can't wait to get his lights sorted so he bucks up a little bit, as I don't think we're seeing his full personality yet. The heat matt warmed him up a bit. Enough for him to snoop around the tank and dance along the glass, where he proceeded to fall asleep awkwardly in true Beardie fashion.

quote:
Originally posted by hannah2016

Aww very pretty, hope you get to keep him. And its amazing a guy that just had a stroke, has the beardies wellfare in mind.

I know! Considering he has business' to run and staff to maintain etc.
Mort13 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 22:28:24
Aww bless,what a chilled out lil dude. Hope your dads boss recovers ok.
hannah2016 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 21:11:25
Aww very pretty, hope you get to keep him. And its amazing a guy that just had a stroke, has the beardies wellfare in mind. I bet most people would just neglect the poor animal and just feel sorry for them selfs. Very very lucky beardie and very very lucky you :)
nusnakemum Posted - 13/12/2011 : 20:56:52
aaaaaww i am sure he will be very happy living with you !
scottishbluebird Posted - 13/12/2011 : 20:49:13
What a poser!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000