The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Really mad at myself!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paulie78 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 18:06:57
Hi guys

Im really angry with myself (and a few other people to be honest!) i went to see my nan yesterday she lives in the next town along from me a few busrides away but i try to visit a few times a week as shes has terminal bowel cancer and is bedbound as a result of a few strokes other than her carers she doesnt get many daytime visitors so i try to get down as much as i can.
Anyway yesterday i went to let the dog out into the garden for a run and i spotted this poorly lil hedgehog i think he was trying to hibernate but he was just on the freezing cold concrete and was very cold when i picked him up he was barely breathing i found an old towel wrapped him in in and put him in a box and placed him just inside the door of the outhouse thinking that way hes at least out of the cold and today when i went back i planned to go armed with some hay straw and food turns out the carers and my uncle had known the hedgehog was there for days and nobody bothered to move it!! grr at them
when i got home yesterday i googled hedgehog rescue and found some really helpfull sites listing numbers of ppl that could help so i made a few calls but then my other uncle rang and offered to take me and the hoggie to the rspca centre this morning so he came in specially to make a 30 odd mile round trip for this hoggie but when we got there it had sadly passed away :-(
so im really mad at myself for not doing more yesterday but im even angrier at my uncle and the carers that ignored the poor hedgehog who does that!!!

anyway this is a piccy of the poor thing when i found it yesterday

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScalySituation Posted - 30/11/2011 : 09:16:56
RIP, we've rescued a youung hedgehog this year, he's safely with hedgie experts who said they keep us updated on how he's doing (he had two huge ticks as well, one near either ear) but she hasnt. i hop my little ozzie is ok
yola Posted - 30/11/2011 : 00:52:40
Awwww poor little thing. Don't blame yourself, hoggies are having a rough time of it and some females are having second litters late in the year because of the weird weather, so because they are the little babies that are born late basicly arnt ready or fattend up for the winter, wich I suspect is what was wrong with this little one as he looks from the photo to be very tiny to be hibernating.
There was a lady on Autum watch that took in hoggies and late babies that wouldnt make it throu the winter, she gave out weights of ones that cant go into hibernation and ones that can. She just didn't let them hibernate and carryed on feeding them throu the winter and then let them go when the weather warmed up in spring.
Honestly it wasn't your fault
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:13:30
I'd be furious at them also, But as Hannah said, the poor little thing passed in warmth, might have had something wrong since it wasnt hibernating already? It is sad that people dont give a damn, they could at least have called a rescue centre if they didnt want to touch it
paulie78 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:11:36
Thanks guys isnt hindsight a b*tch but i really couldnt have done more even if i wanted too gone are the days when you could just take any wild animal into a vets surgery most just turn you away theese days ugh i was all geared up today to help him though i was only making the trip for the hoggie today i take things like this to heart and im so mad at my uncle etc how could anyone just leave an animal to die like that ugh
Kath Posted - 29/11/2011 : 21:43:18
Hi paulie, don't be angry with yourself, you did nowt wrong. Be angry at your uncle & carers for not doing anything about little hoggie.
It's a sad sight but you did everything you could.
hannah2016 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 20:43:52
Aww, thats so sad. I cant believe they just left it there, but dont blame your self. Your the only one even bothered to do anything. Feel good you gave it some warmth for it to pass away peacefully.
tordyjo Posted - 29/11/2011 : 18:11:20
RIP little hoggie

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000