The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Hand Rearing Hedgehog Stroy...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
angriesthedgehog Posted - 29/11/2011 : 12:09:08
Decided to make a new thread now I have two more mouths to feed.

My Hand Rearing Story so far...........................

Yini was paired with Sheldon and had four beautiful hoglets on the 12th November 2011. She was a fantastic mum and looked after her babies very well.

When the babies were 10 days old we had to have emergency heating work done which was very noisy - drilling into walls and loud work in the animal room for several days. Yini was stressed and threw out the smallest baby. When I found him, he was cold, hungry and weak. I attempted to feed him but it was too late and he passed away.

The next day Yini turned her back on a second baby - she was stronger and I named her Hatshephutand attempted to hand rear her, she was doing well for a couple of days.

Yini seemed to settle with the last two babies and I was hopeful she would be okay.

Yini the following day threw out the last two babies - Ramesis and Nefertiti and I was forced to take them to attempt hand rearing. That same day, I lost Hatshephut to bloat.

Thanks to some amazing advice from people, I changed what I was doing and Ramesis and Nefertiti have been doing well, though still small and now have their eyes open.

Ramesis...

Nefertiti...

-----------------------------------------------------------

While this was going on, Uhura gave birth to five hoglets on the 21st Novemeber - smackin the middle of the works. The next day, I saw that one hoglet had disappeared,

Two days later, Uhura ripped the head of another baby and was very stressed with the noise.

After the work finished Uhura seemed to settle with her babies and I hoped she would be better but, unfortunately she must have still been stressed and last night another baby had been beheaded by mum. She had turned her back on the last two babies, and fearing her killing the last two boys, I have added these to be hand reared.

Considering these babies are only a week old - they are massive, nearly 30g each and very chubby!

Loki...

Thor...

It is important to consider this when thinking of breeding - its not always cute babies, but a lot of hard work and heartbreak at times.

fingers crossed for these beautiful babies
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie.Dublin Posted - 14/12/2011 : 18:54:15
So sad about the others, but glad this little chap is looking good!
Kath Posted - 14/12/2011 : 14:13:40
So sorry to hear about Thor & hope all goes ok with Loki
Emmy1 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 23:08:56
Soooo cute!! I love the captions
Mort13 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 22:21:00
Wow! I didn't know if I dared look but from one Loki owner to another I can say you've got a gorgeous healthy looking boy there. He's come on so much,and its all down to your hard work.
nusnakemum Posted - 13/12/2011 : 20:52:09
Aaaaaaawwww fantastic !
Hissyfit Posted - 13/12/2011 : 19:17:50
He's looking great! Well done on all the hard work
ScalySituation Posted - 13/12/2011 : 18:01:55
yay loki! great pics and great progress
scottishbluebird Posted - 13/12/2011 : 17:00:02
So glad the little fella is doing well xxx
Vince_the_snake Posted - 13/12/2011 : 16:19:50
awwww how sweet! Good luck little fella!
angriesthedgehog Posted - 13/12/2011 : 15:46:23
Loki today - he is walking about well now and I let him have a closely supervised wander around.

evil glare...

wots out here...

tis rainin mummeh...

Ahm coming fur nommings
ScalySituation Posted - 11/12/2011 : 11:38:15
ALL TOGETHER NOW... COME ON LOKI!! YOU CAN DO IT LIL FELLA!!
scottishbluebird Posted - 11/12/2011 : 01:51:14
I'm with Mort13, got really upset, didnt want to read incase Loki was gone, but he looks great, love the tongue pic, really made me smile!
Emmy1 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 21:58:12
Love the pulling tongues picture of Loki!
lotabob Posted - 10/12/2011 : 21:49:29
Awwww I REALLY want one. They are just so cute. Loki is looking lovely too.
angriesthedgehog Posted - 10/12/2011 : 21:43:14
Loki anointing (19 days old today)...

Mort13 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 14:20:23
Kudos to you and all your hard work. I really wanted to put somat on here the other night when I read about poor little Nefertiti,but I got too upset. She may not be my animal and I'm probably too soft for my own good,but my first ****atiel passed away in my hand and I know how utterly heartbreaking it is.
You're doing an amazing job of being mummy hog,don't ever feel you've not done enough as none of these little piglets would be here without your care.
paulie78 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 10:04:45
aww noo thats tragic so sorry to keep that fingers crossed for loki hang in there lil hoggie
nusnakemum Posted - 09/12/2011 : 09:18:22
Oh no - what a time your having - these lttle fellas are lucky to have you and your dedication - thinkin of you x
angriesthedgehog Posted - 08/12/2011 : 23:48:10
Lost Thor today very suddenly :<(
angriesthedgehog Posted - 07/12/2011 : 11:36:24
Bros...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000