The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Saw this article about Pythons and thought it cool

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
garrie Posted - 31/10/2011 : 22:28:34
http://io9.com/5854605/a-recipe-for-growing-bigger-hearts-found-in-the-blood-of-pythons

Ooooh, the possibilities!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kez Posted - 02/11/2011 : 18:41:00
Wow, it's fascinating, so many possibilities!

I'm a diabetic who is now insulin dependent, but prior to that I was a human guinea pig trialling a new drug called Byetta (aka Exenatide). It was made using the saliva of a gila monster (a big black and orange monitor) as scientists realised that the species could go for long periods of time without food. It worked in several ways for diabetics, one meaning that it caused you to feel full for longer thus helping weight loss which in turns helps bring down blood sugars. It also worked by getting your pancreas to kick in with insulin so that after 15 mins you could eat a meal and it would be processed properly, rather than leaving the high levels of sugar in your blood caused by unprocessed food due to lack of insulin.

It's very complex and unfortunately, made me so ill that I believed I had become destined to be housebound. Having said that, it works for many, many other diabetics and for a lot of them is a real godsend as it means that they don't have to become dependent upon insulin, which can cause all sorts of other issues in itself.
garrie Posted - 02/11/2011 : 15:08:08
It is all fascinating stuff I reckon, science is advancing at such an incredible pace!
Dancross0 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 14:00:36
I love stuff like this. The applications for this is great. It'll help people with poor circulation, athletes, and probably help with many sorts of breathing disorder.

I read the other day about glucose powered cells. They run off sugar and water in the body and produce an electric current, which would be ideal for people fitted with pacemakers, and they are devoloping prostectic limbs that can be run off of the cells.
stotty01 Posted - 01/11/2011 : 21:23:16
cool story :)
Sta~ple Posted - 01/11/2011 : 08:54:25
What could they use if for though?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000