The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Is the rub ok?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/10/2011 : 18:46:51

Trying to get everything ready for my crestie, i am waiting on a thermometer with probe to arrive. Is there too much ivy? one milk top is for food (reptile shop recomended it) blue lid is for water, not sure if just to use other milk bottle lid for water, i know not all drink from bowl, but will raise humidity, i also have a sprayer.

For the crickets i bought a tesco toffee sundae tub(any excuse!) to dust them, was worried about escape, so put mossie net over drilled holes! put a philly lid as a plate.

too much, ok, or too little?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottishbluebird Posted - 17/10/2011 : 22:46:54
Thanks for your input though GP xxx why are they just display reps? are they kinda like chams, freak out? i do envy those who can handle them, when the demon child moves out am so gonna get a baby cham!
gingerpony Posted - 17/10/2011 : 20:50:59
thank dog some cresties owners finally replied!!!

and yes, the maddies are mainly a display species though Mr Maddie did manage to escape while i was spraying the viv the other day!!!
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/10/2011 : 21:40:57
I hope to get him in two weeks, keep checking website incase they come in early lol, and there will be LOADS of pics lol
lotabob Posted - 16/10/2011 : 20:28:15
Oh my Harley is a right predator he would pick live over a bowl of goo anyday. I put him livefood in before I go to bed and then listen to him diving all over the place hunting them down.
Laws Posted - 16/10/2011 : 19:49:09
yay for new crestie! u have waited long enough huh ? set up looks good :) try them on repashys my lot love it . fruit is good as a treat , but again mix the powder in with it . u can give banana but only once a month or so as it contains something that sucks up calcium . my little ones still dont really get the eating crickets thing . they stalk them but then try and lick them! lol! the crickets then jump away and the hunting begins again!

When are u getting ur little one ? dont forget pics :)
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/10/2011 : 18:44:55
Thanks made me feel better! really excited, but nervous, just want the best i can do for him/her
lotabob Posted - 16/10/2011 : 13:23:58
Ooh yeah looks good, they will appreciate the darker tub too, I have a clear rub but covered the top ond a few sides and it helped.

I feed repashy to Harley, I tried Komodo, and clarks but he didnt touch it but does like the repashy. I have a mix of live food too, silent crix, dubia roaches (setting up a colony so only for a treat at the moment), and waxworms (fatty so only for a treat but they are much appreciated by Harley). Oh and you'll need a tub of calcium powder to dust your live stuff, I dust the crickets, not the worms or dubia roaches though as they get calcium in the repashy too. I'm a sinner too (I was told off on the dark side) as I dont have a heat source for Harley, my flat is warm enough and with the other vivariums etc around it maintains 21oC with no help at all. The new viv stack will have a heat source installed but will decide if its needed switching on when I test run it.

Handling is fun, I just let Harley do what he wants, he loves sitting up on my shoulder when I clean him out though he did once run up the wall and its lucky i'm quite tall and was able to retrieve him.

Forgot to say they dont drink from a bowl, you need to spray the enclosure a few times a day, I spray the same corner where the bowl is so he at least has somewhere dry in his tub.
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/10/2011 : 22:42:52
Any feedback is appreciated! I am really excited! just want to do the best i can, your Maddies are gorgeous, but they are not meant to be handled? more just for show if thats the case thats a shame! so big id be more confident to handle them
gingerpony Posted - 15/10/2011 : 22:33:33
not much help on set-up am i lol
gingerpony Posted - 15/10/2011 : 22:31:52
with maddies (Madagascar Day geckos)fruit baby food mixed with some honey and some calcium can be their staple diet but i really don't know about cresties hun

from our experience with livefood though, we usually go for locusts as they're quiet and we have very few escapees compared to the noisy 'silent' crix that have been found all over the house lol
best off sticking to what they're used to though

i do know a lot of crestie owners and other gecko owners went off Repashy when it changed the recipe a few years ago, many keepers moved on to Clarke's Diet. i fortunately had a big stash of the old Repashy and have only recently had to source some more. Repashy have updated their recipe again (prolly following a lot of negative feedback and huge drop in sales!!) and it seems much better, all my maddies are on it and love it
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/10/2011 : 22:18:59
I was told the shop would be getting babies in in the next 2 weeks, will be feeding the Rapshy. Baby food is that just a treat? and the guy said crickets every other day,should be happy crickets as i am trying to eat bit more healthy.(apart from the toffee sundae tub for dusting!) if the crestie is bigger than i thought, will just get a bigger rub, Ian loved drilling the holes lol, bigger hides than a philly tub/whiskas temptations tub.And will cut a bigger branch off the tree in the garden
gingerpony Posted - 15/10/2011 : 21:14:58
tbh i don't have any experience with cresties but do they also need some fruit-based food like my maddies do? people recommend banana or mango baby food puree or Clarke's Diet or Repashy Meal Replacement Powder - an all-in-1 feed you mix up as required
have you chosen one? do you know if it's teeny-tiny??

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000