The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Giant African Land Snail

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 18/09/2011 : 09:26:09
getting a snail soon maybe still trying to convince mum but i have got her up to a maybe since i hooverd the stairs and cleaned my room and did the dishes and..... the list goes on and on and i offerd to pay with my own money so i think i might win her over i was gonna it in a fish tank that i used to keep fish in but it has no lid does anyone know if i can buy lids from a petstore or make one myself? does anyone have any tips or anything to help me out. and at last a quich question is heat nessicery? because my friend has one without a heat mat and it is doing fine so i was just wondering.

thanks
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/09/2011 : 23:55:15
One snail on it's own will still lay eggs for a while as they can store sperm, it's usually about 3 or 4 more fertile batches they can store with A.Fulica, they cannot fertilise their own eggs. Although they are hermaphroditic they cannot impregnate themselves and need a mate to constantly produce fertile eggs.
nathan76 Posted - 30/09/2011 : 23:29:16
exactly what hissyfit said
Hissyfit Posted - 22/09/2011 : 13:54:27
If it's a glass tank, then it won't be suitable for GALS as they have a habit of falling off and cracking their shells. Better to use a large plastic tub, drill holes in the lid from inside out (so there are no jagged edges). They are easy to look after, don't need a heat mat as long as you have them in a warm room. They do need calcium, so get some limestone flour to sprinkle on their food, and they like cuttlefish, soft side up so they can eat it. Easy to feed and will eat most vegetables & fruit, but don't give any citris fruit as it burns their skin. Best to get 2 as they like company, and they like to be kept on sphagnum moss. They lay eggs all the time when adults (one on it's own will still lay eggs), and the eggs are best disposed of by putting them in a small bag and leaving them in the freezer for a few days before putting in the bin.
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/09/2011 : 17:40:13
I got very young scorpions the first time and lost all 5.
After more digging at trying to find out what I had done wrong, I found out that quite simply young scorpions are simply a bit harder to keep for the inexperienced scorpion keeper and most will die, regardless of how perfect the setup is.

I have since gotten a pair of adult scorpions and they are thriving. Having a nice sleep during the day and in the evening when the light starts going down is when they appear out having a creep and a rummage about for foods.
Hand feeding them is fun as well, surprisingly easy to do with a pair of tweezers. Mine still are not totally used to getting picked up though, although they don't get picked up often as I'm trying to encourage a more 'wild' temperament for them.
tarotpodge Posted - 19/09/2011 : 09:55:15
Thanks k. I will NOT be telling my son that scorpions are an option lol. Something 2 consider. I'm guessing they are pretty easy 2 keep?
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/09/2011 : 03:00:45
I have scorpions inside an old fish tank with no lid.
You could actually keep snails inside a fishtank without a lid and they wont escape... Copper tape has magical properties, it gives a similar reaction to snails as tin foil does to us humans if we get it onto metal fillings. If you've never experienced that and have metal fillings, I highly recommend trying it to see what happens, it's the most bizarre feeling.
tarotpodge Posted - 18/09/2011 : 13:40:37
Hmmmm possible option. Thinking maybe stray from corns. And get a dif species or considering blue tongued skink or beardies. But don't know if I can convert tank for anything other than snake in inverts. sorry just thinking out loud.....
Mamma Posted - 18/09/2011 : 13:33:06
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

corregated plastic. My big 2 footers have lids made out of corregated plastic xx

Slightly off topic, big sorry, mamma, didn't you convert a tank in to a viv wiv a home made lid? I have a spare tank and am considering options for how 2 fill it. Just rude having empty tanks. It already has a lid but its not snake/small animal proof.

yeah i did... the lid was made with a wooden frame, measured to fit etc.... then 2 diff sizes of mesh
tarotpodge Posted - 18/09/2011 : 12:04:45
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

corregated plastic. My big 2 footers have lids made out of corregated plastic xx

Slightly off topic, big sorry, mamma, didn't you convert a tank in to a viv wiv a home made lid? I have a spare tank and am considering options for how 2 fill it. Just rude having empty tanks. It already has a lid but its not snake/small animal proof.
Mamma Posted - 18/09/2011 : 11:32:16
a33272 Posted - 18/09/2011 : 09:57:16
depends on the fish tank, if its a branded one then id imagine lids will be available for it

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000