The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 hognose???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cornsnake69 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 20:18:35
hey i am debating weather to get a western hognose or not... if anyone wants to share anything feel free weather its good or bad i would like to no.... thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ravensgirl Posted - 14/08/2011 : 23:00:27
Love hognoses, something different but as has been said they can be a bit huffy and are midly venemous but aside from that they are fantastic wee snakes :)
cornsnake69 Posted - 09/08/2011 : 18:45:05
i think i shal invest in one... the other half istn to keen on them but... i am ok with being bitten but should be quick enough for a hot hog.... i think they are a nice snake and are kind of badly spoke about... its good to hear information from people wiht experience with them... thanks for the advice all....
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/08/2011 : 00:15:53
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

they're also rear-fanged and mildly venomous, some people react badly to being tagged like some people react badly to insect stings

This^^^

As you look at the photo, the hand on the left has a fair bit of swelling.
That was from a 3 month or so old hoggie hatchling with a single fang that pierced the skin.
It took a few days for the effects to go away, but they appeared incredibly quickly, both the pain and the severe itching.
Unfortunately the photos don't actually show how swollen it really was, at one point each finger was about the thickness of 2 normally.
kdlang Posted - 08/08/2011 : 21:02:54
I absolutely love my hognoses. They are so cute. Mine aren't as huffy and puffy as they are reputed to be. They also tend to be out more during the day than the corns.

However, as GP says, they are mildly venomous and even a small hoggie bite can cause quite a bit of pain even without an allergic reaction.
gingerpony Posted - 08/08/2011 : 20:36:28
they're also rear-fanged and mildly venomous, some people react badly to being tagged like some people react badly to insect stings
Mamma Posted - 08/08/2011 : 20:24:26
Hognoses are great awesome little guys with loads of character xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000