The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Carpet Python Care

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie Posted - 29/07/2011 : 20:55:55
Ok, so all being well I should be the proud owner of a lovely female 88% Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet Python baby in a fortnight can't wait till she comes home!

I've been doing my research and have all her bits here ready but keep coming up against 2 conflicting pieces of advice in my reading. Some sources keep their carpet pythons on orchid bark with moderate humidity and have a humid hide, whilst others keep at room humidity on aspen.

I have both substrates but am baffled about which one to use! Any carpet owners out there who can set me right? I will be asking the breeder his substrate views, but want to have her set-up ready before collecting ideally, thanks in advance
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 08/08/2011 : 21:04:18
I can't wait to see pics. I would love a carpet python but just haven't got room. Maybe when the kids have left home...
Newbie Posted - 08/08/2011 : 20:15:06
Thank you :-) very much looking forward to her arrival, pictures will follow, as always :-D
gingerpony Posted - 08/08/2011 : 20:02:09
congrats
Newbie Posted - 08/08/2011 : 19:32:56
Just to update, my little IJ Jag should be coming home on Wednesday
cornsnakekidd Posted - 08/08/2011 : 16:32:18
naa i cud not have that then!
gingerpony Posted - 08/08/2011 : 13:40:44
quote:
Originally posted by cornsnakekidd

iwas looking
if any 1 commenting on this thread is experienced with this species

i think you'll find most of us commenting are experienced with this species........that's why we're commenting!

youngsters are often snappy so it depends if you're competant and confident at dealing with snakes like that
our 2 adults are still snappy, the male in particular, on a good day you can change his water without him trying to tag you!
cornsnakekidd Posted - 07/08/2011 : 14:41:31
iwas looking
if any 1 commenting on this thread is experienced with this species,

would you recommend it i would be a quite experienced with all reptiles for a wile
Newbie Posted - 30/07/2011 : 09:57:08
Thanks for the responses, I'll be keeping her in a RUB at first and experience with Rio's RUB tells me that humidity can be kept very high with minimum effort in a RUB.

Just want to make sure I don't overdo the humidity and give the little one an RI
gingerpony Posted - 30/07/2011 : 07:54:38
we just use aspen and have large water bwls centrally placed in their vivs
stotty01 Posted - 29/07/2011 : 23:30:05
ooooo nice :) good luck with it :)
a33272 Posted - 29/07/2011 : 21:59:44
you will need to assist the humidity, typical humidity in the uk is about the 40% but in the viv the heat lamps will reduce this, some places say 60% for carpets but most say 40-60 is better. use orchid bark, aspen will just absorb in moisture an doesnt release it very well. u will need to bake the bark before use to make sure its bug free. then a good daily misting of the bark is all u should need. its trial an error to start to work out how much misting u need as it will depend on how ya heating. u also wont get the same humidity all day long it will cycle up an down which is fine.

u can also put a big bowl of water under the basking spot to help raise the humidity but again u need to try it first to see how effective it is in ya viv
Mamma Posted - 29/07/2011 : 20:59:21
A33 has a carpet xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000