The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Royal Python

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tylersmatrix Posted - 28/07/2011 : 15:50:50
Hi All,

Have just recently got my first corn snake and have officially got the bug! Next year i was thinking of getting something a bit meatier but wouldn't grow too large for my house- so decided on the royal/ ball python. A couple of Q's really.

First of all any thoughts to keeping of royals?

Also where is the best place to get hatchligns from- i am really intrested in a albino but haven't come accross any hatchling anywhere?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 01/08/2011 : 18:51:11
if you want something that stays quite small but chunkier than a corn, a spotted python is perfect :)
Laws Posted - 01/08/2011 : 00:21:08
if u did decide on boas i would reccommend taking a look at crawl cays . they are a slender dwarf that max at around 4.5 feet and dont get too chunky . i have one and hes very relaxed and a joy to own , hes not fussy and doesnt stress easily and eats everytime . i also have another dwarf boas but shes alot larger. take a look or google crawl cays , a very manageable snake.
i had a royal and got the husbandry right for him , however the fact he didnt want to eat (nothing to really worry about , its what they do) i thought it wouldnt be a problem for me as i knew that can be bad feeders, however it used to worry me sick .
So ive had both really , royals are very docile , but not very active snakes . dwarf boas are like the character of a corn , with the chunkyness of a royal .
tylersmatrix Posted - 31/07/2011 : 19:49:22
I've already seen the blue eyed- a stunning snake. I would really like an albino but don't think my funds would stretch. What is RFUK? I keep casting an eye on here and the royal pytho.
lotabob Posted - 31/07/2011 : 18:54:18
And dont google Blue eyed Leucsitics what ever you do. Its very dangerous looking these up as they are both gorgeous and very expensive at the same time.
mikerichards Posted - 31/07/2011 : 18:07:55
its more to do with body weight and overall condition, at the moment he is fine, so i am not too worried about it, am used to royals not eating for ages!! body weight wise, he was 1380g at the end of last year, hes about 1100 now, give or take, i havent actually weighed him for a while!
If you want to find yourself a nice snake then you are probably better off looking at ones people are selling, either here, the royal python or on RFUK, there are plenty going and some nice ones too.
tylersmatrix Posted - 31/07/2011 : 10:18:37
Again thanks for the great advice. I'm not in Any hurry at the min so will take your advice and take the time to look around for the right snake. I can't believe your snake hasn't eaten since last year! That would freak me out a bit. When would you decide that he has gone too long without feeding- by his body weight I'm guessing?
mikerichards Posted - 30/07/2011 : 23:25:36
Generally royals are fine, but are still capable of delivering a nasty bite. Whilst the majority of royals are infact very docile animals, you still get the ones that are nasty, however, that is a rarety, and for the most part they are very gentle creatures, and very timid, which is part of the reason they have so many feeding problems! I also beleive that feeding problems can stem from early on, i know of some that were not given the option of live and have struggled through life being fussy feeders, and others that have been given live have done very well, whilst i am sure this is not true in all cases, certainly in all mine it is.
Royals have an appeal to them, they do indeed make ideal pets for younger children because they are not flighty, they are not fast, and they are slow to bite, they are easily handled and can be a great pleasure to own, on the flip side, once they go through the fussy ritual, it can be very stressful for you as the the keeper to watch. Although, to be fair, its far far more stressful for you than it is for the snake, one of my royals hasnt eaten since october last year, hes by no means wasting away, and i am not overly worried, he will eat when hes ready, he didnt get to 1300g on thin air!
My advice would be to choose the snake very carefully, dont rush it. Look about and find one that is nosey, inquisative and not overly shy, ones that hide away and flinch when touched are more likely to give you feeding problems more so than ones that are comfortable around people.
tylersmatrix Posted - 30/07/2011 : 09:33:13
That's what I was worried about. So would you say royals are ok around younger children. My oldest loves the corn and is really good handling him( supervised!). I am going to my local reptile shop today to buy some stuff for slash's and am going to look at some in there and try and convince the wife about increasing the collection.

Thanks again for the advice
mikerichards Posted - 30/07/2011 : 09:12:59
i wouldnt go for boas, they dont get 'a little' bigger than royals, unless its a dwarf they get a lot bigger, my big female is 7ft and about 1.5 stone, maybe more. They are extremely strong, and can be quite adamant about where they want to go and when, you cant do much to force a boa to do what you want, they just dont do it. I also think that Boas can be more unpredictable that royals, although i find them personally much easier to predict, however what i mean is they can get upset quite easily, they get annoyed if you are constantly trying to make it do something, which could end in a bite, and i can assure you, a bite from a 7ft snake isnt fun, there arent many people who would reach for a camera before trying to remove it!!
Boas also grow very fast, so they will outgrow your Kids quite rapidly, talking 6ft in less than 2 years if fed well, 3-4 years fully grown!!
My perosnal opinion is that big boas and small children dont mix, and they shouldnt be mixed, boas are too strong.
tylersmatrix Posted - 29/07/2011 : 07:36:42
Hi Guys. Thanks for the help. Just what i have heard from previous Boa owners is that they tend to be more feisty/ aggresive- not usre as i've never owned one? I have two young kids one boy under 3 and one girl under 1 so would like something that isn't too large or a worry around them- if that makes any sense? How large to Boa's grow?
lee2308 Posted - 28/07/2011 : 20:40:42
i would go for a boa personly,their a bit bigger but not so fussy.
gmac Posted - 28/07/2011 : 15:57:34
would start by looking through www.theroyalpython.co.uk there are one or two owners over there that will give you an opinion.

Keeping royals is easy you get the husbandry correct then all very good, you get the husbandry slightly wrong and is not so good. Royals can stress easily and have been known to have long fasting periods, something they are designed for but the owners arent and do tend to over worry.

Most forums around you will get breeders offering these as hatchlings so is a good starting point.

They are not particularly active snakes with the vast majority of them hiding away.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000