The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 some kingsnake advice please..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mamma Posted - 17/07/2011 : 11:14:27
I posted this on the kingsnake forum but thought I would post here too if that is ok...

Just wanted some advice from other kingsnake owners.

I rehomed Merlin a month or maybe more ago... he came from one of the members of my husbands airsoft team as he couldnt keep him anymore as well as his monitor lizard.

I went to see him a couple of times. He was fine... I handled him etc. The lad told me his feeding history, shedding etc... said absolutely no problems. I had a look at his viv etc and all seemed well.

I went back to collect him, and again he was fine.. I had another handle of him etc and got him home. I then discovered he was about to shed.. literally when I got him home.

He seemed fine settling in.. he had hissy moments when people went near his viv. This didnt bother me as when I rehomed my adult corn he was the same, but after time and handling he settled down fine and is now the biggest pus5ycat you will know.

Merlin however has gotten increasingly worse. I cant go near him, or the viv without him striking for me, tail shaking crazily and mad hissing. Im having to wear gloves to go near him. And water changes/spot cleaning is becoming harder as he is actively coming our of his hides and striking me when he senses me in his viv.

I had every confidence that after time and patience he would settle down. Now I'm not so sure. Last night when I tried to weigh him he got that defensive he stuck for me and tail whipped/shook so hard that the weighing rub was covered in blood. He had ended up bursting the end of his tail.

Hubby has said he is very wary and uneasy of him and the kids are scared of him.

Any tips about how to try and diffuse the situation at all? The guys had told me hes fine being handled etc.. and as I said he seemed fine when I visited...but now I realise he was in blue so hence why he was more docile. (Mim is very very docile when in blue too)

Sorry for the long post. Im just tryin to diffuse the situation before hubby has had enough and tells me to rehome him.

Thanks guys xxxx
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mamma Posted - 18/07/2011 : 17:28:36
unfortunately there is no under the bed :P its all boxed off. Hahahaha xx
a33272 Posted - 18/07/2011 : 17:25:55
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

Ok thanks K... think im gonna buy the 3 foot viv and put him in my bedroom. Much quieter in there and hopefully he will become less agitated xxx

James is gunna love this, think u should get up one night without waking him. move merlin into a rub an put him under bed then leave viv open
Sta~ple Posted - 18/07/2011 : 17:20:03
I would keep away form others reps as well I think and see what happens, maybe he is so angry because he's horny XD
Mamma Posted - 17/07/2011 : 18:34:40
Ok thanks K... think im gonna buy the 3 foot viv and put him in my bedroom. Much quieter in there and hopefully he will become less agitated xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/07/2011 : 18:27:55
Try moving him elsewhere that there's no other reps as well, when Chalkie is totally segregated from all the others she turns into the most docile (and boring) kingsnake in the world, it's as if she has just swapped skins with a royal.
Mamma Posted - 17/07/2011 : 13:19:58
lmao ty K He was mostly like this in his viv but has started doing this when handling him recently. I try to handle him a couple of times a week cos I dont wanna stress him out by trying more than that. There was the possibility of housing him in a 3 foot viv in my bedroom where its quieter... the hoggie will be going in one when hes bigger and I said to James I was thinkin about stackin 2 3 foot vivs in there.
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/07/2011 : 13:14:33
That is how kings are supposed to be.

Is he like that mostly in his viv?? If he has a lot of unease around him, he will be aware of that and will react accordingly.
All you can do is keep telling him to shut up when he does his tail rattles and don't let him do what he wants. Keep the handling up, and he will start to tolerate it more.

Normal king behavior to me, that's why we like them so much.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000