The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Crested Gecko Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lotabob Posted - 19/06/2011 : 15:10:46
OK MrsA32, you win, I'm getting a crested Gecko, my question is will a crested Gecko be OK in a faunarium (tall one) kitted out with stuff to climb, places to hide while its still tiny, and be moved into a 2 foot vivarium when it becomes available when the snakes custom build viv is ready or should I just do the common sense approach and wait.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 20/06/2011 : 12:28:35
really the viv is not great
one it will need sealing very well for the high humidity
two they need height more than space, they prefer to climb up and down for heat gradient that go from side to side. i would try and make it higher as 14 inches is just over a ft, and really 2ft high is what they need. you could make it higher, and split the viv into 2 higher vivs, and have 2 arboreal vivs that could house 2 cresties or more depending on sexes etc ( you prob now about all that)
it also depends on how much you want to spoil them. i now people that house adult cresties in a 30x30x45 exo terra, but had my youngster in there and he loved to climb all over the place up and down it, and would not have been happy in there when fuly grown. i can see you like to spoil them as your putting you hog in a 6ft viv lol
it is the height that they need
herriotfan Posted - 20/06/2011 : 10:59:04
Cresties will be better housed in the higher terrarium than a vivarium. They need the height to climb up and down. Also lots of vines/plants etc for climbing and hiding. You could keep 2 females together but males need to kept seperately to avoid fights. If you go for one of each they should only be housed together for breeding or the female will get stressed from too much male attention!! You can keep a breeding group say 3 or 4 females to 1 male thus reducing the stress to any particular female but that means you need a much larger housing. Hope that helps!
MrsA82 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 08:04:32
What I've read also is you can keep a trio in a exo terra 45x45x60. We are keeping our breeding pair in that size. Singles can be kept in a 30x30x45 which is what The male will move out over the winter months. I think your planned viv would be more than adequate it may not be as high as ideally recommended, but you are gaining in other ways. when we got the babies we were told not to get anything huge to put them in as they can get lost and not find there food. They were housed in a kricket keeper. Now they have moved to a 20x20x30. Hope thats helped a little
MrsA82 Posted - 20/06/2011 : 07:59:21
Whooooooooohooooooooo!!!
lotabob Posted - 20/06/2011 : 00:02:13
Haha you can blame MrsA32 too its her fault. I've redesigned my viv stack to accomodate an extra vivarium, haven't allocated officially who gets what but the one I intended for the Gecko is 14 inches high, are you saying thats not high enough, its almost 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep, surely the area is plenty for a pair (please say yes, its taken me hours on the redesign).
reptiledanny Posted - 19/06/2011 : 22:06:25
i had a crestie for over a year and then had to get rid of it due to gcse's miss him so much, and am considering getting another now
they are very easy to care for
mine was a flighty one at first, jumping all over the place, and he never once showed any signs of dropping his tail, buts its all on the gecko, i have seen some that get stressed from going on a car journey and drop them, and others that never drop them no matter how stressfull the situation may be.
the faunarium would have to be quite tall, at least 2ft tall. an 18x18x24 is what is recomended alot of the time for adults. being moved into a 2ft viv, the viv would have to be very well treated for the high humidity they need, and like before would need to be quite tall for them.
the best thing about the cages with them is you can make them so natural, having lots of branches and vines, and nice plants in the viv
god now i really want another one now, look what you have done bob
stotty01 Posted - 19/06/2011 : 21:00:25
yeah a tall faun is ok for them for now, there tails do not grow back when have fallen off and with babys they can be a bit fast so make them walk up the side up the viv with your hand onto yours or just be very carefull and pick them up from the side :)
lotabob Posted - 19/06/2011 : 20:53:37
Oh we have a thread jacker here, lol.

Thats the only thing that scares me about geckos well I'm not scared of them but scared of hurting them and their limbs falling off.

I've officially decided a crested gecko will be joining me, I want a pair, either 2 females or a breeding pair, not decided yet and haven't fully got to grips with their care requirements etc, giving myself 3 months to get the custom build viv ready and have redesigned it for them.
scottishbluebird Posted - 19/06/2011 : 16:37:17
Sorry, meant to click on my thread
scottishbluebird Posted - 19/06/2011 : 16:36:12
Cresties dont grow their tails back? they just drop em if stressed, errrrrrrm define stress? and has any of yours dropped tail, and what was the cause?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000